Author Topic: "Eminems Relapse wiill sell somewhere in the mid-630k range" HITS Daily Double  (Read 1180 times)

OG Hack Wilson

500k on week 1 for a new Em album after 4 years of no new Em music = a flop

in 2009?  are you serious?  if this was 2002 i'd expect a million but i bet there's atleast 500,000 ppl who DL'd it instead of buying it like they would have back in 2002

lots of ppl don't have disposible income anymore
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

Triple OG Rapsodie

I wouldn't rely too deeply on projections based on 1 day of sales. I'd wait until Friday, at least, for a more accurate estimate.

But even then, the final numbers are in only when they're in. A lot can happen in a week.

Personally, sales figures aside, I recommend you go cop the CD - Em's on that Real Slim Shady tip from the SSLP- and MMLP-days this time around.

A bit off topic - isn't the whole "first week of sales watch" a bit ridiculous? I mean, is an album supposed to be deemed successful or unsuccessful based on a weeks worth of sales? I'm personally more interested in how well an album maintains its sales figures. A steady stream of sales or a dramatic drop - in my opinion - says more than the first week sales.

Exactly. Like back in the 80's and early 90's first week sales were irrelevant. A lotta classics weren't even going gold in a few weeks. Like the classic "The Chronic" for example. I would really like to know how much it sold the first week, but it's problably not more than 50k. It still went like 4Xplatinum and stayed in the Billboard Top 10 for like 8 months.

Maybe rappers like lil wayne rely on first week sales to sell an album, but artists like Em and Dre are different. 2001 sold 500k first week, is that considered a failure?

Tha Carter III sold 1 mil first week but 2 mil overall. When an album does most of its sales the first week what that means is that it had a lot of hype and didn't live up to the hype.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 08:20:28 AM by rapsodie »

Westcoastfanatic

I wouldn't rely too deeply on projections based on 1 day of sales. I'd wait until Friday, at least, for a more accurate estimate.

But even then, the final numbers are in only when they're in. A lot can happen in a week.

Personally, sales figures aside, I recommend you go cop the CD - Em's on that Real Slim Shady tip from the SSLP- and MMLP-days this time around.

A bit off topic - isn't the whole "first week of sales watch" a bit ridiculous? I mean, is an album supposed to be deemed successful or unsuccessful based on a weeks worth of sales? I'm personally more interested in how well an album maintains its sales figures. A steady stream of sales or a dramatic drop - in my opinion - says more than the first week sales.

Exactly. Like back in the 80's and early 90's first week sales were irrelevant. A lotta classics weren't even going gold in a few weeks. Like the classic "The Chronic" for example. I would really like to know how much it sold the first week, but it's problably not more than 50k. It still went like 4Xplatinum and stayed in the Billboard Top 10 for like 8 months.

The Chronic was 3xplatinum within a year, so of course it sold more than 50k the first week....

Maybe some more, but it still took a long time to go platinum. Chronic came out December 15. You know when it went platinum(according to RIAA.com)? March 18. 3 months to go platinum!
IS DETOX NEXT? Don't think so.