Author Topic: Just Listened to Asher Roth "Asleep In The Bread Isle" For the First Time...  (Read 435 times)

Lunatic

Never was interested in this originally and then I saw some bad reviews, so said fuck it. But recently a bunch of my friends are really randomly getting into this guy and even went to go buy his album (And I'm talking guys who don't buy albums THAT often). They played some songs off their phone that didn't sound so bad, so I figured I'd download the album and give it a chance.

1. Lark on my Go Cart - I really like this beat. This hot as shit. Lyrics are cool and this is a really good opening track. Still can't get over how dope this beat is. - 4.5/5
2. Blunt Cruisin' - This beat ain't bad once again. This is something to throw in when chillin with ya homies and havin a good time right here. - 3.75/5

3. I Love College - The popular single I never really heard lol. Again, something to bump on with the homies. Perfect for a mellow laid back time with the boys. I like this. - 4/5
4. La Di Da - Again, this a real hot beat. Cannon? What a dope producer. Surprised with the production thus far cuz I remembered most complained of the beats. 3.5/5

5. Be By Myself Ft. Cee-Lo - Lovin' Cee-Lo on the hook. The beat is dope once again. Probably my favorite track thus far. 4.75/5
6. She Don't Wanna' Man - This beat is ok. Not really feeling the concept or the hook. Not bad overall though. - 3/5

7. Sour Patch Kids - Beat is hot. The verses are pretty good on this as well. Cool subject matter and good content. I really like the "Hungry/Rugby" line. - 4/5
8. As I 'Em Ft. Chester French - He definitely had to touch on this, and I like the world play on the title haha. The hook is real hot as well. - 4.75/5

9. Lion's Roar Ft. Busta Rhymes & New Kingdom - Different, unique beat. Asher Roth flows his ass off on this. Busta's high energy flow and style fits perfectly on this. - 3.75/5
10. Bad Day Ft. Jazze Pha - Hot beat and cool beginning. The first verse is hot as fuck, loving the story telling element on this track. I don't like Jazze Pha, but WOW what a dope ass hook he dropped on this track. Best song on the album. - 5/5

11. His Dream - Good beat and soulful hook. I just said "Bad Day" was the best track on this album, but this definitely contends with that. - 5/5
12. Fallin' - Good beat once again. Good way to end the album. - 4.5/5

Overall: This is a very surprising, solid debut album. The production is very good, and Asher Roth is a breath of fresh air. His overall style of music is different and unique for Hip-Hop, and doesn't really sound like anything else that is out there right now. That is a good thing lol. I'll definitely be checking for Asher in the future, and may have to buy this album.
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

JohnnyL

Never was interested in this originally and then I saw some bad reviews, so said fuck it. But recently a bunch of my friends are really randomly getting into this guy and even went to go buy his album (And I'm talking guys who don't buy albums THAT often). They played some songs off their phone that didn't sound so bad, so I figured I'd download the album and give it a chance.

1. Lark on my Go Cart - I really like this beat. This hot as shit. Lyrics are cool and this is a really good opening track. Still can't get over how dope this beat is. - 4.5/5
2. Blunt Cruisin' - This beat ain't bad once again. This is something to throw in when chillin with ya homies and havin a good time right here. - 3.75/5

3. I Love College - The popular single I never really heard lol. Again, something to bump on with the homies. Perfect for a mellow laid back time with the boys. I like this. - 4/5
4. La Di Da - Again, this a real hot beat. Cannon? What a dope producer. Surprised with the production thus far cuz I remembered most complained of the beats. 3.5/5

5. Be By Myself Ft. Cee-Lo - Lovin' Cee-Lo on the hook. The beat is dope once again. Probably my favorite track thus far. 4.75/5
6. She Don't Wanna' Man - This beat is ok. Not really feeling the concept or the hook. Not bad overall though. - 3/5

7. Sour Patch Kids - Beat is hot. The verses are pretty good on this as well. Cool subject matter and good content. I really like the "Hungry/Rugby" line. - 4/5
8. As I 'Em Ft. Chester French - He definitely had to touch on this, and I like the world play on the title haha. The hook is real hot as well. - 4.75/5

9. Lion's Roar Ft. Busta Rhymes & New Kingdom - Different, unique beat. Asher Roth flows his ass off on this. Busta's high energy flow and style fits perfectly on this. - 3.75/5
10. Bad Day Ft. Jazze Pha - Hot beat and cool beginning. The first verse is hot as fuck, loving the story telling element on this track. I don't like Jazze Pha, but WOW what a dope ass hook he dropped on this track. Best song on the album. - 5/5

11. His Dream - Good beat and soulful hook. I just said "Bad Day" was the best track on this album, but this definitely contends with that. - 5/5

Overall: This is a very surprising, solid debut album. The production is very good, and Asher Roth is a breath of fresh air. His overall style of music is different and unique for Hip-Hop, and doesn't really sound like anything else that is out there right now. That is a good thing lol. I'll definitely be checking for Asher in the future, and may have to buy this album.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who thought this was a really solid album.

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
I found it very boring.

kemizt

JohnnyL

I found it very boring.

Fair enough.  At least you have a reason for disliking it.  Personally, I found it refreshing to hear someone in hip hop talking about something different than  what about 90% of hip hop is talking about.  It's kinda the same reason I like Kanye's shit, I guess.

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
Had its moments here and there but I really could not get into it that much.

Booz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Ookkonää Oulusta, pelekääkkö nää polliisia?
Judging by the review the album is all about good production, without that he would be as wick wick wack as Yayo.

MediumL

it was good. I'd give it a 6.5/10. It had its moments and having one producer gave it a really nice cohesive sound. However Roth isn't that great of a rapper to me and some songs were a little boring.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454</a>

JohnnyL

Judging by the review the album is all about good production, without that he would be as wick wick wack as Yayo.

lol...dude's nowhere near as wack as Yayo.  Well, dude isn't wack at all and Yayo's extremely wack (imo). 

Lunatic

I could see why some of y'all were bored by it; for me it's mellow, laid-back, chillin' music and that could be boring to some. For me, I like this.
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Thought it was a nice release.  Nothing amazing but it's not bad like everyone claims.
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

JohnnyL

I could see why some of y'all were bored by it; for me it's mellow, laid-back, chillin' music and that could be boring to some. For me, I like this.

Yeah.  I'm with you on this though. The laid-back sound is part of what I found appealing about it.  I've heard people say he sounds like Eminem.  I would say maybe a little bit
in vocal tone, but that's really where the similarity ends.  He doesn't rap about the same subject matter that Em does.  For that matter, he doesn't rap about a lot of the stuff that most rappers do (except for maybe the drinking and smoking). 
  For his next album, I'd like to see him change it up even more.  But for his debut album, I think everything came together pretty nice.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
Had its moments here and there but I really could not get into it that much.

co-sign.

he was so overhyped in my opinon.

Sikotic™

It was an okay album.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

snoop

Glad to see I'm not the only one who thought this was a really solid album.

Same here, I think the album was really good. I get the feeling that some people hate on him cause he is a goofy white kid. He is goofy, but he can rap. Great album imo.  8)

The-Leak (aka) kingwell (bka) JULES

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES