Author Topic: "Kobe doesn't pull off late-game heroics this time"  (Read 1325 times)

teecee

"Kobe doesn't pull off late-game heroics this time"
« on: June 10, 2009, 11:22:34 AM »
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/9665912/Kobe-doesn't-pull-off-late-game-heroics-this-time

Even Kobe can't do it every time; Lebron did some amazing things last series (last second shot, 2 free throws with no time left to tie), but got shitted on by Lakers fans for the times when he wasn't clutch.

I think the thing is, we can't expect these guys to be great in crunch time every time.  I'm sure Kobe will be better next game in the clutch

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
Re: "Kobe doesn't pull off late-game heroics this time"
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 11:31:55 AM »
*waits for thread to turn into a Kobe vs LeBron thread*

teecee

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 11:33:47 AM »

"Kobe's reputation as a "killer" at the end of games remains overblown. The site www.82games.com just posted a study of game-winning shots/situations from the last five-plus seasons (regular seasons and playoffs since the 2003-04 season) that revealed Kobe was shooting 14-for-56 (25 percent) with one assist and five turnovers, and made 12 of 15 free throws. So let's say that was 70 possessions total, including Sunday night. ... He only had one assist in nearly six years??? That's why Orlando quadruple-teamed him in that spot. Kobe is a phenomenal streak shooter, and he has a real talent for catching fire with a lead and closing games out ... but you can stop him in one-shot situations simply because he's his own worst enemy. He wants to be a hero, he's shooting it, and that's that."

Still, the media and fans only focus on the made ones.  The great ones are usually afforded that- MJ, he missed many (but made more than anyone ever too) but you don't hear about the misses.

Even with all of the above, I still feel Kobe will make it in the clutch, and am surprised when he doesn't....why is that?

teecee

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 11:34:48 AM »
*waits for thread to turn into a Kobe vs LeBron thread*

It most likely will.  In fact, it definitely will.   Leaving Lebron out of it though, is Kobe as good in the clutch as everyone in the media or Lakers fans seem to think?

LooN3y

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Paid Tha Cost 2 Be Tha Boss
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 11:38:51 AM »
yea ^ i know but my bad, lebron is not a good finisher and what he made his 2nd buzzer beating shot of his career? cmon man when kobe was younger than lebron he was hittin those in his sleep.

kobe late game herorics> lebron late game heroics

because kobe actually wins games

Tha Reella - Slap A Nigga Up Like Wyatt Earp / Sig downsized, too big.

OchoCinco

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 12:37:50 PM »
holy fuck, was this thread even necessary. We all watched the game. This sports section is a war between fanboys n little girls.

PLANT

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 01:29:58 PM »
yea ^ i know but my bad, lebron is not a good finisher and what he made his 2nd buzzer beating shot of his career? cmon man when kobe was younger than lebron he was hittin those in his sleep.

kobe late game herorics> lebron late game heroics

because kobe actually wins games

here we go :-[ :-\  get the fuck outa here....AGAIN!?

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 02:03:47 PM »
i think we need to lock this thread before the usual shit goes down lol.

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 02:37:12 PM »
"Kobe's reputation as a "killer" at the end of games remains overblown. The site www.82games.com just posted a study of game-winning shots/situations from the last five-plus seasons (regular seasons and playoffs since the 2003-04 season) that revealed Kobe was shooting 14-for-56 (25 percent) with one assist and five turnovers, and made 12 of 15 free throws. So let's say that was 70 possessions total, including Sunday night. ... He only had one assist in nearly six years??? That's why Orlando quadruple-teamed him in that spot. Kobe is a phenomenal streak shooter, and he has a real talent for catching fire with a lead and closing games out ... but you can stop him in one-shot situations simply because he's his own worst enemy. He wants to be a hero, he's shooting it, and that's that."

If that stat is legit, then you can't really argue that Kobe is clutch.  45% in the regular season season shooting percentage during that time but in those situations he shoots only 25%?  Looks like more of a choke artist to me. 

teecee

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 03:50:55 PM »
holy fuck, was this thread even necessary. We all watched the game. This sports section is a war between fanboys n little girls.

Sure.  Its a new article, and it provides some further insight into the legendary closer that is Kobe. 

But as I said, I think he will be much better next game.  But maybe he isn't god like some of ya'll think?

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2009, 04:04:01 PM »
anyone using 82games for anything needs to slap themselves. thats the same site that shows LeBron to be a better player than MJ...Kobe doesnt usually miss freethrows and he missed 5 last night. had he made those freethrows, we win the game. The difference is, Kobe always has a sense of when shit is urgent. Last nights game wasn't as urgent (ala the games we lost vs Houston & Denver). If you really think Orlando has a chance in this series, then you're jokin yourself. Kobe's performance in the 1st quarter was amazing...we all expected him to keep it up, but he stopped shooting...Kobe may be amazing, but there's only a certain extent to how amazing a player can be. EVERYONE fucks up. Even Magic and MJ fucked up...but since u wanna bring up LeBron, the difference in this season is that LeBron fucked up when it truly mattered...PeACe

"THE" MoSav

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2009, 09:38:12 AM »
He gassed out. That shit wont happen again. Even Mariano would blow a save here and there

The Best of 3 Worlds

teecee

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2009, 09:10:48 AM »
anyone using 82games for anything needs to slap themselves. thats the same site that shows LeBron to be a better player than MJ...Kobe doesnt usually miss freethrows and he missed 5 last night. had he made those freethrows, we win the game. The difference is, Kobe always has a sense of when shit is urgent. Last nights game wasn't as urgent (ala the games we lost vs Houston & Denver). If you really think Orlando has a chance in this series, then you're jokin yourself. Kobe's performance in the 1st quarter was amazing...we all expected him to keep it up, but he stopped shooting...Kobe may be amazing, but there's only a certain extent to how amazing a player can be. EVERYONE fucks up. Even Magic and MJ fucked up...but since u wanna bring up LeBron, the difference in this season is that LeBron fucked up when it truly mattered...PeACe

"Kobe doesn't pull off late-game heroics this time"-

No, he didn't again, but D-FISH did. 

The difference between Lebron and Kobe is that Kobe has had clutch players who make plays when he turns the ball over, gets swatted, or str8 up misses.  All great players need a clutch player beside them, at least one.  EVERYONE does indeed fuck up, but the most successful players get backed up when needed most.  Kobe was 11-31 and again didn't play all that great in the 4th or OT...

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2009, 09:14:14 AM »
Well, actually he had a great OT. He hit the first 2 shots, set a tempo and got doubled team, which allowed him to pass to Fisher for the knock out 3. To me, Kobe redeemed himself in OT, and that last three from Fish was a Kobe assist. So all UFC references aside... lol... Kobe was clutch with that pass.

Antonio

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • R.I.P. Nate
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2009, 09:20:29 AM »
http://www.82games.com/0809/CSORT11.HTM

Are you watching this page too?