Author Topic: Who will end up filling Ronaldo's shirt at Manchester United?  (Read 187 times)

Elano

From George Best to Cristiano Ronaldo, from Bryan Robson via Eric Cantona to David Beckham, the Manchester United No 7 shirt carries a mythical status. Beckham suggested after Best’s death in 2005 that the shirt should be “retired” in honour of the man who made it famous, but Ronaldo’s exit leaves a vacancy. When Ronaldo joined United, he asked for the No 28 shirt, only to be handed the No 7 that had been synonymous with Beckham. Ronaldo made the shirt his own. The question is whether there is anyone out there who can do the same.

Antonio Valencia
The most likely arrival. United made a firm inquiry about the Wigan Athletic and Ecuador winger on Monday and are expected to submit a formal bid shortly. Wigan want close to £20 million but United are expected to get him for about £15 million. Sir Alex Ferguson, the United manager, is convinced that he can develop into a world-class performer at Old Trafford.

Franck Ribéry
Ferguson is an admirer of the France winger and considered signing him in 2007 before the player’s £18.7 million move to Bayern Munich from Marseilles, although Ferguson might balk at the prospect of paying 3K times that two years on. Ribéry wants to leave Bayern and is thought to favour a move to Spain.

Karim Benzema
Another player who has captured Ferguson’s imagination, Benzema is one of the most exciting young strikers in Europe, having scored 66 goals in 149 games for Lyons. Ferguson inquired about signing him two years ago, although the striker is unsure about moving to England. Benzema is only 21 and fairly unproven outside of France, so the United manager would be taking a huge gamble if he elected to meet Lyons’s €50 million (£43 million) asking price.

David Silva

Ferguson has cast covetous glances in the Valencia and Spain winger’s direction before but a move would come as a surprise. Valencia have accepted that they will have to sell Silva and/or David Villa, to ease their crippling financial predicament, but Liverpool or Real Madrid would appear a more likely destination.

Portugoal

Re: Who will end up filling Ronaldo's shirt at Manchester United?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 08:13:15 AM »
For a second I thought I read David Mendes Da Silva, but then I figured it can't be. Why would anyone want to trade AZ for a shit team?

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 08:35:15 AM »
I hope Manchester overpays for Ribéry. It looks like he doesn't want to be here, so fuck him. Give me a hundred million dollars and I'm fine. He will die in the Premiere League, his game isn't made for cold, rainy weather and physical tackles that refs won't blow their whistle on.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

bez

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 10:26:14 AM »
Arteta????

'EclipZe

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 03:06:42 PM »
why don't they just buy all the dutchies that are in the real madrid squad, they aren't getting any playing time anyways.

Invincible

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 03:47:21 PM »
why don't they just buy all the dutchies that are in the real madrid squad, they aren't getting any playing time anyways.

Yer, I was talking to someone earlier and I said that United should think about a player + cash deal, with Rafael Van der Vaart going our way.

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 11:28:35 AM »
I think Valencia will come and also Douglas Costa from Gremio, after that im not sure. Also been linked with Javier Pastore today.

A lot of it will depend on whether Tevez will stay or not because then we will need a striker. I think it could be some unknown/up and coming players rather than huge names.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 11:46:43 AM by KURUPTION-81 »

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

Paul

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 01:44:49 PM »
I hope Manchester overpays for Ribéry. It looks like he doesn't want to be here, so fuck him. Give me a hundred million dollars and I'm fine. He will die in the Premiere League, his game isn't made for cold, rainy weather and physical tackles that refs won't blow their whistle on.

Always womdered whats wrong with his face, looks like dr evil
funkyfreshintheflesh

Sweet & Tender Hooligan

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 04:32:46 AM »
Was in a car crash when he was younger Paul.

The Maestro