Author Topic: WIDEawake Drops The Ball Again... Death Row Comics?  (Read 1131 times)

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
Re: WIDEawake Drops The Ball Again... Death Row Comics?
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2009, 12:16:53 PM »
lol at the wordplay

EFFeX

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2009, 12:25:40 PM »
It just seems like it's the wrong focus. They should be working on mastering the unreleased music and putting together authentic musical projects. Instead they are almost making Death Row into a parody of itself. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe they know what they are doing, but I'm starting to get pretty worried.

I can just see it now...

Get your own Death Row action figure in each Happy Meal from McDonalds.

Man, I want 2Pac, Suge, and Sam Sneed action figures - so I can reenact the Sam Sneed beat down of 1996.

lmao

When I was little, I had a Batman mansion. I think they should start Death Row play sets for Can Am and the Wilshire offices.

That's what I'm saying, this actually could turn out the be the best move ever!

You could collect four proofs of purchase and with $5.99 shipping and handling and get your very own Suge Knight costume.

Arrest warrants and wire taps not included.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2009, 12:29:50 PM »
I could care less about the extra shit. It has no baring on the way the music is handled. It's not like the people in charge of organizing the music projects and the people who write and animate the comics are the same people. If they want to make money with some extra licensing deals, more power to them. They can make Death Row cereal with little electric chair logo marshmellows for all I care. As long as the music itself is correct, who gives a shit? Death Row as a label is dead. I'm over it. All that is left is the catalog. As long as it is handled right and we get to hear the unreleased music, it's all gravy. I'm not expecting them to change the world here.

EFFeX

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2009, 12:31:11 PM »
^

I understand what your saying, I just thought this news was so off-the-wall that it had to be brought up.

JohnnyL

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2009, 12:40:37 PM »
I could care less about the extra shit. It has no baring on the way the music is handled. It's not like the people in charge of organizing the music projects and the people who write and animate the comics are the same people. If they want to make money with some extra licensing deals, more power to them. They can make Death Row cereal with little electric chair logo marshmellows for all I care. As long as the music itself is correct, who gives a shit? Death Row as a label is dead. I'm over it. All that is left is the catalog. As long as it is handled right and we get to hear the unreleased music, it's all gravy. I'm not expecting them to change the world here.

lmao

DTG Entertainment

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2009, 01:12:22 PM »
It just seems like it's the wrong focus. They should be working on mastering the unreleased music and putting together authentic musical projects. Instead they are almost making Death Row into a parody of itself. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe they know what they are doing, but I'm starting to get pretty worried.

I can just see it now...

Get your own Death Row action figure in each Happy Meal from McDonalds.

Man, I want 2Pac, Suge, and Sam Sneed action figures - so I can reenact the Sam Sneed beat down of 1996.

lmao

When I was little, I had a Batman mansion. I think they should start Death Row play sets for Can Am and the Wilshire offices.

That's what I'm saying, this actually could turn out the be the best move ever!

You could collect four proofs of purchase and with $5.99 shipping and handling and get your very own Suge Knight costume.

Arrest warrants and wire taps not included.

+ 1 to everyone in here.

Hatesrats™

• Tha Drunk Gem-in-I
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Gz Up, Hoes Down"
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2009, 01:18:18 PM »
 :tosser:

EFFeX

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2009, 02:37:30 PM »
Seriously... I mean, I could accept the comic books. I mean, it's like people said Doggystyle had that comic book inside the booklet. But THIS?

I just picked this item up from Toys R Us, WIDEawake is really milking this Death Row thing huh?

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2009, 02:38:11 PM »
c....co....COMICS????

lol
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

DTG Entertainment

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2009, 02:38:29 PM »
Seriously... I mean, I could accept the comic books. I mean, it's like people said Doggystyle had that comic book inside the booklet. But THIS?

I just picked this item up from Toys R Us, WIDEawake is really milking this Death Row thing huh?

ROFL! Who did that? HAHAHAHA!

EFFeX

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2009, 02:39:30 PM »

Let's just say I have WAAAY too much time on my hands today!

DTG Entertainment

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2009, 02:41:31 PM »

Let's just say I have WAAAY too much time on my hands today!

Hahahaha. Damn, looks amazing. I might tell them to put the bankruptcy back till I can afford it.

EFFeX

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2009, 02:44:01 PM »
I'm thinking about picking up the Crooked I one too, it comes with an actual photograph of the Say Hi To The Bad Guy CD!

The "Untouchable" DJR

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2009, 02:44:49 PM »
While I don't feel this is a terrible idea

^^Are you serious?

Mark my words people are gonna wish this whole Wideawake thing never would have happened.

Yes, I'm serious.  While I don't see why an idea like this would be given priority over just releasing the albums or a video collection, I don't think the idea itself is necessarily terrible.
   Kokane had an idea to use comics.  Eminem has currently appeared in Marvel's Punisher comics.  Apparently there are similar plans for 50 Cent.  The insert to Snoop Dogg's "Doggystyle" album contains a comic (As did his "Last Meal" album). Eazy-E's "Impact of a Legend" cd/dvd set also contained a comic book.  Outside of rap music, Rob Zombie has used comic books and a comics motif, for years.
   I'm not saying the way they will handle this idea will necessarily be good.  I'm increasingly skeptical of Wideawake's handling of the Death Row brand.  I'm just saying, there might be something to the idea.
  Like you I'm skeptical about all of these plans.  So far, all they've managed to do is release a three track cd sampler and a pretty shoddy website that allows for no fan feedback or interaction.  I think some of there plans sound good, but I won't be convinced of anything until I see it.  I'll be happy if they prove me wrong, but ultimately, it comes down to whether or not they're going to drop the albums.  That's what everyone wants.

Concerning the comic thing: all of the people you mentioned have one thing in common; they were actually involved with that stuff and had some say in it. Except Eazy and btw that "comic book" in question was horrible.

And I'm not just being skeptical, I'm appalled by the way everything went down but hey... that's me.

~Loyalty Is Everything~

EFFeX

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2009, 02:49:35 PM »
The only thing that is bothering me about this is that they seem like they are trying to push Death Row to a new generation. That's simply not going to happen, in my opinion. I think they need to cater to the people that experienced the movement first hand, because that's where they are going to cash in.

I mean, how many of us REALLY want "Snoop Doggy Dogg Goes To School?" comic books? Let me get a well thought out Doggystyle 2 or something. Get creative with the music.