Author Topic: Kidd rejoins the Mavs for 3 yrs!  (Read 414 times)

'EclipZe

Kidd rejoins the Mavs for 3 yrs!
« on: July 06, 2009, 11:18:29 AM »
http://www.nba.com/2009/news/07/06/kidd.mavs.ap/index.html

Posted Jul 6 2009 2:01PM

DALLAS (AP) -- Jason Kidd isn't going anywhere.

The free agent point guard has agreed to sign a three-year contract for more than $25 million to remain with Dirk Nowitzki and the rest of the Mavericks. The New York Knicks were among Kidd's suitors.

"We are excited that JKidd and the Mavs have reached an agreement to have Jason return to the Mavs," Mavericks owner Mark Cuban said via e-mail Monday. "We look forward to him continuing to take a major role with the team."

With the contract, the 36-year-old Kidd could end his career in Dallas, which is where he started in 1994. The Oakland, Calif., native was the No. 2 overall pick out of California, and he has also played for Phoenix and New Jersey.

Kidd's return helps the Mavericks as they pursue a supporting cast around Nowitzki, from not having to find a replacement to recruiting players. Kidd, who is third on the career assist list, also will continue to mentor J.J. Barea, who emerged as a solid backup last season, and raw rookie Rodrigue Beaubois, who is coming over from France.

The deal -- which can't be signed until Wednesday -- was first reported by ESPN.com.

The Mavericks also plan to send an offer sheet Wednesday to Marcin Gortat, a 25-year-old center who backed up Dwight Howard in Orlando last season, according to a person with knowledge of negotiations. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because of NBA rules against commenting on deals before the signing period opens.

Gortat is expected to receive the full midlevel exception of about $5.6 million, which means any more big moves Dallas makes this offseason will come through trades.

The Mavs can dangle the expiring contract of Erick Dampier and the trade-friendly contract of Jerry Stackhouse in front of other teams. Pretty much everyone but Nowitzki could be dealt, too, as the Mavericks explore ways to keep up with the changes made by top rivals in the Western Conference, especially the defending champion Lakers and division foe San Antonio.

Nice move by the mavs imo, they add some big experienced dude to the PG position.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 11:32:04 AM by 'EclipZe »

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
Re: Kidd rejoins the Mavs for 3 yrs!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 01:31:51 PM »
that's good for the Knicks, that would have been retarded for them; wouldn't have helped that much this year & definatly isn't a convincing piece for LeBron to decide to sign to.

but the Mavs can't run with the Lakers or Spurs with Kidd either.

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 04:14:33 PM »
poor Mavs fans LOL
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

Halu Sination

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Halu Sination
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 05:07:28 PM »
I feel bad for both Kidd and the Mavs. The Mavs simply aren't in contention anymore and have nothing to gain by wasting money on Kidd. At the same time, Kidd clearly wants to play for a contender but the Mavs are offering so much more money than any contending team can even offer that he's almost forced to say yes.

Antonio

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • R.I.P. Nate
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 05:18:37 PM »
Harris..

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 05:23:17 PM »
I feel bad for both Kidd and the Mavs. The Mavs simply aren't in contention anymore and have nothing to gain by wasting money on Kidd. At the same time, Kidd clearly wants to play for a contender but the Mavs are offering so much more money than any contending team can even offer that he's almost forced to say yes.

LOL the ultimate conundrum

but he knew better than to go to NY
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

thisoneguy360

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 11:59:46 AM »
Well they fucked themselves over trading Harris for him, might as well use him for all he's worth

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 12:02:46 PM »
i heard on ESPN that they are tryin' to make a move where they would get Marion.

he's a little past prime, but he can still up some good stats; it wouldn't push them over the top, but definatly make them stronger.

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 12:09:16 PM »
poor Dallas

they had a great squad so many years

but ever since GS beat them in the playoffs theyve been downhill

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 01:35:35 PM »
bottom seeded playoff team, if that

'EclipZe

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 01:40:31 PM »
^not even that, they get the 9th seed. That's how unlucky this team has become haha