Author Topic: Iverson to Europe?  (Read 569 times)

Now_Im_Not_Banned

Iverson to Europe?
« on: August 04, 2009, 09:12:52 AM »
Iverson Headed Overseas?

By:  Yannis Koutroupis
8/3/09 1:38 PM ET 

For the first time this summer Allen Iverson has received an offer close to his liking, just not from an NBA team. Olympiacos is reportedly close to proposing a two-year contract worth $10 million to Iverson, the exact same deal that Nate Robinson turned down.

Olympiacos presents a very lucrative and interesting option for Iverson, who hasn't been treated well by free agency so far. Few teams have been open to the idea of signing Iverson and those who are aren't willing to make a major commitment.

Iverson has a lot working against him right now as he's opposed to coming off the bench and still feels like he's a star despite his decaying skills. NBA teams won't be open to signing him to a long-term contract until he opens up to accepting a smaller role.

Judging by what Iverson is looking for Olympiacos may be the best place for him. Not only are they bringing more money and years to the table, but with them he'd also be a star. Iverson would undoubtedly start for the team and be the featured player offensively with the green light to do as he pleases.

The main competition in the NBA for Olympiacos is the Miami HEAT and New York Knicks. Both franchises are in need of a starting point guard and definitely have some minutes available for A.I. However, neither of them would give Iverson more than a one-year deal for a portion of the mid-level exception.

It's always nice to have security and a fallback plan, which is really what Olympiacos provides for Iverson. It's unlikely that Iverson accepts the deal even though it's significantly more than anything that has come from an NBA team. Iverson is a family man now though, making packing up and moving to Greece for a few months extremely tough. Sure the money is better, but you can't put a price on being close to your family and it's not like Iverson is hurting financially anyway. 

Most importantly, there's unfinished business for Iverson in the NBA. He's been too successful over the past 13 years to go out on a note like he did with the Detroit Pistons. Iverson basically served as the scapegoat for their nightmare season because of his inability to adapt to his new teammates and coaching staff

The final stages of a career always play a major role with the legacy that is left behind. The 2001 NBA Finals appearance and scoring titles are becoming a distant memory as Iverson struggles. Everyone knows that he can score and that he's one of the toughest players to ever play the game. Now it's time for him to do the one thing that few people think he can do: be the ultimate teammate.

Whether it be the Knicks, HEAT, Grizzlies, or Clippers that Iverson ultimately signs on with its time for him to change his mindset. If Iverson can accept less minutes and shot attempts while helping a young team take the next step he may find the open market much more rewarding next summer. Everyone reaches a point in their career where they have to adjust and change and for Iverson this is it if he wants to be remembered as one of the best.

Funny to see how fast he went from a top asset in this league to not even worth the MLE....... :-X

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
Re: Iverson to Europe?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 11:00:43 AM »
nobody wants him starting, but he won't sit on the bench.

i wouldn't want to see him making this move, but i mean it would be the first to open the door for huge, HOF superstars to go to Europe.

if he goes, you may see more past-prime greats heading there at the end of their careers.

StreetsAllSalute

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 11:19:25 AM »
LOL!!!!!

OchoCinco

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 11:21:58 AM »
lol pretty sad actually, funny how he gets offered the same as Nate Robinson and Nate turned it down.

thisoneguy360

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 11:44:03 AM »
Damn, hate to see this shit.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 01:24:06 PM »
He would start if he signed with the Heat or Knicks, but he doesnt wanna play for the vets min. :laugh:

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 01:52:59 PM »
lol pretty sad actually, funny how he gets offered the same as Nate Robinson and Nate turned it down.

because Nate thinks he is important, when Knicks fans only like him because he is smaller than yo average.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 03:14:13 PM »

because Nate thinks he is important, when Knicks fans only like him because he is smaller than yo average.

right...............because european basketball teams have enough money to dish out 10 million bux on a player due to the fact that he's undersized. ::)

LooN3y

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Paid Tha Cost 2 Be Tha Boss
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 03:29:18 PM »
i really dont want this to happen, i see AI being a very good fit in miami as another go to player, which d-wade ulitimately needs. for instance last years playoffs there was no consistent scorer besides wade throughout the series.

line up would be

PG - Allen Iverson
SG - Dwyane Wade
SF - Micheal Beasley
PF - (It would of been Jamario Moon)
C - Jermaine O'Neal

they'd have a nice playoff team.

Tha Reella - Slap A Nigga Up Like Wyatt Earp / Sig downsized, too big.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 03:44:15 PM »
it would look more like this:

PG Allen Iverson...Mario Chalmers/Chris Quinn
SG Dwyane Wade...Daequan Cooke/Patrick Beverly
SF Micheal Beasley...James Jones/Dorell Wright
PF Udonis Haslem...Mark Blount/Robert Dozier
C Jermaine O'Neal...Jamaal Magloire/Joel Anthony

thats a contender in the east

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 07:17:35 PM »
lol iversons a bum

he should go to SAS and play behind Parker and Manu
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

bad-n-fluenz supporter of the dangerous crew movement

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 12:44:29 AM »
lol iversons a bum

he should go to SAS and play behind Parker and Manu

fuck that!

tempo2

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2009, 04:17:52 AM »
at the end of the day i think iverson is good for the league, not just entertainment wise but i beleieve he can play the game. also his brought millions of fans to the game especially young kids. his the ultimate example of being black balled by the league. id love to see him make the miami move.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2009, 04:23:19 AM »
it would look more like this:

PG Allen Iverson...Mario Chalmers/Chris Quinn
SG Dwyane Wade...Daequan Cooke/Patrick Beverly
SF Micheal Beasley...James Jones/Dorell Wright
PF Udonis Haslem...Mark Blount/Robert Dozier
C Jermaine O'Neal...Jamaal Magloire/Joel Anthony

thats a contender in the east

No way.. Iverson and O'Neal are complete bums, Beasley is a fraud and the bench is truly trash. Boston, Orlando, Cavs = WAY better.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2009, 09:52:41 AM »

right...............because european basketball teams have enough money to dish out 10 million bux on a player due to the fact that he's undersized. ::)

because he is overhyped in the NBA to appear like some great player, when his small size is all that is carrying him.

he could not fit in the shoes of a typical European player, he needs his name is bright lights & being the "main attraction" for people to come out & watch.