Author Topic: When are we going to lighten up when it comes to rap music?  (Read 554 times)

Jimmy H.

Re: When are we going to lighten up when it comes to rap music?
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2009, 01:44:07 PM »
^but people today can't set trends, unless it's what's next in hip hop.

an album like Slaughterhouse, a great pure rap album cannot set a trend because it doesn't change the game.

more people listen to the radio & that music, which is the only real form of rap that can hold an impact in 2009; because it's the only form that gets exposure.
But I think in the long run, Slaughterhouse will end up getting their due because they are doing something that is neccesary in hip-hop. It might not make them into mainstream icons but it is giving the genre some stability and bringing some much needed diversity back. I think that's what is wrong with hip-hop now when compared to the 90's and I've been saying it for awhile. If you look at 1994 or 1999, there was something for everybody. The West had their own sound. The South was doing their thing. In The East, you had Biggie, Nas, and Wu-Tang, who were all kind of different artists. In 99, there was DMX doing the angry shit. Cash Money and No Limit had their little movement. You had Dre and Snoop coming together but even in what they were doing, you had a lot of diversity. Snoop was pushing Eastsidaz while Dre was working with Eminem. Talk about different styles. Today, it's every rapper has the same fucking people on their records. T-Pain got a hit so put him on the hook. Get Lil Wayne. Maybe T.I. or Ludacris. If you need somebody from the West, get Snoop or Game. If you need a lyricist, get Jadakiss or Nas. Maybe throw in Jamie Foxx or Mary J. and try to do an R&B crossover. The names and faces may change every two or three years but the methods for making albums stay the same. Get your dance song, fuck song, nostalgic throwback song, cut and paste collabo song with two or three other rappers, funny skit with a comedian, wash, rinse, repeat.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2009, 02:16:34 PM »

an album like Slaughterhouse, a great pure rap album cannot set a trend because it doesn't change the game.

more people listen to the radio & that music, which is the only real form of rap that can hold an impact in 2009; because it's the only form that gets exposure.
But I think in the long run, Slaughterhouse will end up getting their due because they are doing something that is neccesary in hip-hop. It might not make them into mainstream icons but it is giving the genre some stability and bringing some much needed diversity back. I think that's what is wrong with hip-hop now when compared to the 90's and I've been saying it for awhile. If you look at 1994 or 1999, there was something for everybody. The West had their own sound. The South was doing their thing. In The East, you had Biggie, Nas, and Wu-Tang, who were all kind of different artists. In 99, there was DMX doing the angry shit. Cash Money and No Limit had their little movement. You had Dre and Snoop coming together but even in what they were doing, you had a lot of diversity. Snoop was pushing Eastsidaz while Dre was working with Eminem. Talk about different styles. Today, it's every rapper has the same fucking people on their records. T-Pain got a hit so put him on the hook. Get Lil Wayne. Maybe T.I. or Ludacris. If you need somebody from the West, get Snoop or Game. If you need a lyricist, get Jadakiss or Nas. Maybe throw in Jamie Foxx or Mary J. and try to do an R&B crossover. The names and faces may change every two or three years but the methods for making albums stay the same. Get your dance song, fuck song, nostalgic throwback song, cut and paste collabo song with two or three other rappers, funny skit with a comedian, wash, rinse, repeat.

i agree with basically everything you're saying, but i don't know about Slaughterhouse lol.

i think in the eye of the public of the real rap fans will give them their respect when they decide to hang it up.

but at the moment they aren't mainstream, but they aren't underground; but they're great & that's all that matters.

Nutty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2009, 07:01:25 PM »

+1 Quote of the century!

Jimmy H.

« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2009, 07:38:25 PM »
i agree with basically everything you're saying, but i don't know about Slaughterhouse lol.

i think in the eye of the public of the real rap fans will give them their respect when they decide to hang it up.

but at the moment they aren't mainstream, but they aren't underground; but they're great & that's all that matters.
But you could make that argument for DJ Quik circa 1994-99. His stuff wasn't #1 MTV hit singles but there was recognition and the music was incredible. There are only so many spots for people to be on the Eminem-Jay-Z level but not everyone has to be that. I've been waiting on a Crooked I album. I've been waiting on Saigon's shit. Been waiting on Jayo Felony. You got all these artists whose material just takes forever to get out there because the labels only want this or that kind of music. And it's the fans as well in some cases. There should be music for every damn body.

I'd much rather see rappers work on smaller budgets and create more personal music than waste all this label money to create a disjointed trend-following album with a whole bunch of chemistry-free collabos that ends up performing poorly and forces the label to wait another 9 years before signing off another album. Movies cost way more fucking money to make than music and there is nowhere near the problems in that industry. Granted, they don't have nearly the amount of problems with illegal downloading but still....

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2009, 07:55:37 PM »

U spot on with all that fam. Hip hop used to be about taking risks and setting trends. Now the norm seems to be play it safe and make music that artists and labels THINK the people want to hear or what is hot. Only to flop and be called sellouts in the long run.