4 (20%)
Márquez by Dec.
2 (10%)
Undecided.
0 (0%)
I'm watching UFC that night.
1 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: Boxing: Mayweather Jr. (39-0-25 KO's) Vs. Márquez (50-4-1 37 KO's)  (Read 1022 times)

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
Re: Boxing: Mayweather Jr. (35-0-25 KO's) Vs. Márquez (50-4-1 37 LO's)
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2009, 12:54:25 PM »
One thing Floyd gets little to no credit for is his defense. He never gives his opponent a clear, open target to hit, alot of punches land on his arms and shoulders. And his defensive stance almost makes people have to lean in to get a better punch, which leaves you open to be counter punched. I respect counter punchers IF they have a good defense but Marquez does get hit ALOT. Manny tagged him with alot of good shots in both their fights, but Juan is a warrior and if he can find a way to get through Floyd's defense he has a shot.

Yeah Floyds defense is ridiculous.  The way he leans back with his shoulder forward and his head tucked, hes a pretty difficult target.  Part of the problem though is fighters going to the head. He's very hard to hit upstairs, you gotta take body shots with him. Also, Floyds ability to control the tempo of the fight.  Ive never seen a Mayweather fight where the pace wasnt HIS pace.  He confuses fighters a lot in the ring, which is why he doesnt always start fast...but by the middle of the fight the opponent looks completely out of synch.  Remember De La Hoya saying "the jab just wasnt there tonight" after his fight with Mayweather lol.  In the beginning of the fight when Oscar threw the jab, he was somewhat effective.  Floyd took that away, and even a vet like De La Hoya couldnt figure him out.  If Pacquiao gets past Cotto, and Floys is willing to step in the ring with him....Pacquiao might beat him. Its the first time Floyd will fight someone with equal handspeed, but more power, and relentless.

Yeah his workout and training is crazy. Dude is a asshole, being from Vegas I must admit it, but Floyd got skills. Yeah most fighters aggressively go after Floyd in the early rounds and towards the middle of the fight Floyd changes up and becomes the more offensive minded fighter. He is very cautious in the early rounds and does not throw many punches, which for most boxing fans is boring. But once he figures his opponents angle and strategy, it's a wrap.

.:DaYg0sTyLz:.

« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2009, 01:09:36 PM »
One thing Floyd gets little to no credit for is his defense. He never gives his opponent a clear, open target to hit, alot of punches land on his arms and shoulders. And his defensive stance almost makes people have to lean in to get a better punch, which leaves you open to be counter punched. I respect counter punchers IF they have a good defense but Marquez does get hit ALOT. Manny tagged him with alot of good shots in both their fights, but Juan is a warrior and if he can find a way to get through Floyd's defense he has a shot.

Yeah Floyds defense is ridiculous.  The way he leans back with his shoulder forward and his head tucked, hes a pretty difficult target.  Part of the problem though is fighters going to the head. He's very hard to hit upstairs, you gotta take body shots with him. Also, Floyds ability to control the tempo of the fight.  Ive never seen a Mayweather fight where the pace wasnt HIS pace.  He confuses fighters a lot in the ring, which is why he doesnt always start fast...but by the middle of the fight the opponent looks completely out of synch.  Remember De La Hoya saying "the jab just wasnt there tonight" after his fight with Mayweather lol.  In the beginning of the fight when Oscar threw the jab, he was somewhat effective.  Floyd took that away, and even a vet like De La Hoya couldnt figure him out.  If Pacquiao gets past Cotto, and Floys is willing to step in the ring with him....Pacquiao might beat him. Its the first time Floyd will fight someone with equal handspeed, but more power, and relentless.

Yeah his workout and training is crazy. Dude is a asshole, being from Vegas I must admit it, but Floyd got skills. Yeah most fighters aggressively go after Floyd in the early rounds and towards the middle of the fight Floyd changes up and becomes the more offensive minded fighter. He is very cautious in the early rounds and does not throw many punches, which for most boxing fans is boring. But once he figures his opponents angle and strategy, it's a wrap.

He reminds me a lot of one of my favorite boxers of all time, Sweet Pea Whitaker.  Their style is a little different, but the same general idea. Defensive minded fighter who makes their oponents look bad in the ring. Precise, accurate punching, good hand speed, always in control of the pace. Sweet Pea IMO was the best p4p fighter of his time without question. I think the De La Hoya fight scoring was bullshit, and  he was clearly robbed in the Chavez fight..

"...and these niggas gettin tattoo tears...industry Bloods that show fear, when the authentics are near"

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2009, 01:15:45 PM »

He reminds me a lot of one of my favorite boxers of all time, Sweet Pea Whitaker.  Their style is a little different, but the same general idea. Defensive minded fighter who makes their oponents look bad in the ring. Precise, accurate punching, good hand speed, always in control of the pace. Sweet Pea IMO was the best p4p fighter of his time without question. I think the De La Hoya fight scoring was bullshit, and  he was clearly robbed in the Chavez fight..

Yeah Oscar fought Whitaker later on in his career. I remember that fight in Vegas. Sweet Pea was clowning a lil too much in the ring but I still had him winning the fight. But back then you had to knock Oscar clean out to get a decision. And the Chavez fight it was the same thing. FIght was in San Antonio, TX I believe. Not Mexico but close enough and if they would have made the right decision, that place would have been a crime scene. Shit like that I hate about boxing. But yeah Sweet Pea was one of the best.

« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2009, 01:24:14 PM »

Yeah Oscar fought Whitaker later on in his career. I remember that fight in Vegas. Sweet Pea was clowning a lil too much in the ring but I still had him winning the fight. But back then you had to knock Oscar clean out to get a decision. And the Chavez fight it was the same thing. FIght was in San Antonio, TX I believe. Not Mexico but close enough and if they would have made the right decision, that place would have been a crime scene. Shit like that I hate about boxing. But yeah Sweet Pea was one of the best.

Yeah Boxing was definetely babying Oscar, and they didnt want to see Chavez's undefeated streak end.  But I always felt like Chavez should have lost the fight to Meldrick Taylor...and Pernell simply took him to school in their fight.  You can make a case for De La Hoya winning or losing the fight with Sweet Pea, but not a unanimous decision for Oscar.
"...and these niggas gettin tattoo tears...industry Bloods that show fear, when the authentics are near"

Nutty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2009, 11:14:33 PM »
Sweet Pea was a nice fighter.

« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2009, 10:26:18 AM »
Sweet Pea was a nice fighter.

yeah, I think ESPN has him ranked as the 10th best fighter of all time.  Easily a top 10 in my book.

Mietek23

Re: Boxing: Mayweather Jr. (39-0-25 KO's) Vs. Márquez (50-4-1 37 LO's)
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2009, 01:44:57 AM »
I hope Marquez gonna kick Pretty Boy's ass and shut his big mouth up..

FLIXX

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Gardena 2 Da Fullest!!
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2009, 02:23:08 PM »

Marquez is a tuff cookie with a lot of heart..but Mayweather is the buis. 40-0-25 KO's

The real ? is can Pacman take care of buis with Cotto? This fight is going to be something.

P.S. Shane Mosley is watching closely...they are all ducking him. remember i said that.
Flixx

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2009, 08:46:29 PM »
Shane is nice and all, but his ass is too old and he just wants to secure a big fight paycheck before it's too late.  Mayweather called him out like 3 times and Sugar backed down all 3 times.  Mayweather gains nothing from facing Shane at this point and time. 

NiCc_FrUm_ThA_nO

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • EastSide But I Represent The Whole F
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2009, 02:25:49 AM »
Mayweather gains nothing from facing Shane at this point and time. 
Kinda like how he gains nothing from fighting Marquez ;D

machete

• 'G'
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2009, 10:21:09 AM »
actually pretty boy gets a lot from this fight if he can beat marquez decisvely he will in most hardcore boxing fans minds have beaten the pound for pound best fighter, as for pacman he is good but he ducked a third marquez fight

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2009, 12:03:15 PM »
Mayweather gains nothing from facing Shane at this point and time. 
Kinda like how he gains nothing from fighting Marquez ;D

-He gets to fight against someone that a lot of people think beat Pac-Man, twice.  This can be seen as a "warm" up to Pacman, but a really good one. 
-He's facing another technical boxer that is a counter pouncher
-He's bringing in the PPV money

Hatesrats™

• Tha Drunk Gem-in-I
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Gz Up, Hoes Down"
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2009, 04:04:23 AM »
Bump, last full day of voting.

« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2009, 09:42:45 AM »
Shane is nice and all, but his ass is too old and he just wants to secure a big fight paycheck before it's too late.  Mayweather called him out like 3 times and Sugar backed down all 3 times.  Mayweather gains nothing from facing Shane at this point and time. 

Mayweather wants nothing to do with Mosley, thats for sure. In boxing u know, its not always about fighters being scared of other fighters. Its the strategy of placing your fighter in fights where they can win, look good, or make a big pay day. Against Mosley, Mayweather wouldnt make as big of a payday as against Pacquiao, he'll be fighting a dangerous fighter that can beat him, and he might not look that good considering Mosleys counterpunching and hand speed. 3 negatives for Mayweather to taking that fight.  With Pacman, Mayweather may not look great or even win, but he WILL get the big payday.  Ive always been a big Mayweather fan, but a bigger Mosley and Pacman fan. Mayweather really didnt want to have anything to do with Margarito, and Mosley completely destroyed him.

elmizzy

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2009, 09:52:59 AM »
LOL @ Marquez drinking piss. Mayweather destroys him by knock out. Then Pacquaio is gonna woop Floyd's ass