Author Topic: The 2000's classic albums  (Read 2040 times)

MediumL

Re: The 2000's classic albums
« Reply #75 on: September 26, 2009, 04:20:02 PM »
I'm going to say one straight up classic. Boy In Da Corner  8)
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454</a>

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #76 on: September 26, 2009, 06:46:23 PM »
Game changing classics,

Eminem Marshall Mather Lp
50 Get Rich or Die Trying

And, I want to say Kanye West 808s & Heartbreaks simply because this changed the game and paved the path for a bunch of new artists to emerge.  Actually, West has had a huge influence on hip-hop that's to be untouched for the past 5 or so years.  Carter 3 had a couple bad tracks for me to consider it a classic but it was def dope.
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #77 on: September 26, 2009, 07:09:50 PM »
^La La was god awful lol.

but for the most part, i was feelin' the rest of the album. 8)

MediumL

« Reply #78 on: September 27, 2009, 01:37:40 AM »
Game changing classics,

And, I want to say Kanye West 808s & Heartbreaks simply because this changed the game and paved the path for a bunch of new artists to emerge.  Actually, West has had a huge influence on hip-hop that's to be untouched for the past 5 or so years.  Carter 3 had a couple bad tracks for me to consider it a classic but it was def dope.

I'd say Outkast need a certain amount of recognition for the rise of singer/rappers. Speakerbox/Love Below opened the door for groups like Gnarls Barkley and Madcon, whilst also pushing the boundaries for what was considered hip hop. Andre 3000 changed the whole game up with his fashion sense and style cause people realised you didn't have to be super gangster to sell records.

Blueprint or College Dropout should get recognition for the rival of sped up voice sampling and the bringing back of soul into rap music as well. But if we start saying 808s is a classic then why can't someone like Soulja Boy's Crank that song be called classic just cause it brought dances back to the scene. On the real i thought 808s was pretty poor. I don't mind people trying to push things forward but some of the songs were dull.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454</a>

Paul

« Reply #79 on: September 27, 2009, 03:00:47 PM »
speaking of cypress hill, is it too early to call smoke n mirrors classic 8)?

:-X

I'm going to say one straight up classic. Boy In Da Corner  8)

:) yup
funkyfreshintheflesh

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #80 on: September 27, 2009, 06:03:21 PM »
Game changing classics,

I'd say Outkast need a certain amount of recognition for the rise of singer/rappers. Speakerbox/Love Below opened the door for groups like Gnarls Barkley and Madcon, whilst also pushing the boundaries for what was considered hip hop. Andre 3000 changed the whole game up with his fashion sense and style cause people realised you didn't have to be super gangster to sell records.

Blueprint or College Dropout should get recognition for the rival of sped up voice sampling and the bringing back of soul into rap music as well. But if we start saying 808s is a classic then why can't someone like Soulja Boy's Crank that song be called classic just cause it brought dances back to the scene. On the real i thought 808s was pretty poor. I don't mind people trying to push things forward but some of the songs were dull.

I agree about Outkast. 

And, if we're talking about game changing then you're right Soulja Boy Crank Dat is classic.  How can we deny what he help influenced?  It is what it is and people can hate the kid but he changed the game.

I do find myself with mixed feelings.  808s wasn't really classic.  My real point is that Kanye has had a huge influence on rap.  Without him I doubt Jay would be as relevant as he is today.  Likewise without Jay Kanye would never had blew up the way he did.    So, I guess Blueprint was "classic" for it was the beginning of Jay's new ear and the beginning of Ye's career.
- Banks

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #81 on: September 27, 2009, 09:26:46 PM »
classic = an album that has stood the test of time. Its too soon to judge this decade's albums as classics. don't believe me, well then look up the word classic in a fucking dictionary.

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #82 on: September 27, 2009, 09:50:47 PM »
the test of time?

lol!

that's only so true
- Banks

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #83 on: September 28, 2009, 10:43:23 AM »
Here's two classics that weren't  game changers

Lupe Fiasco's Food & Liquor
Common's Be
- Banks

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #84 on: September 28, 2009, 04:36:39 PM »
classic = an album that has stood the test of time. Its too soon to judge this decade's albums as classics. don't believe me, well then look up the word classic in a fucking dictionary.

I'm pretty sure most declared the Chronic as a classic within a couple of years after it's release, same with 2001. I think that it's easy to judge the early part of this decade. I mean Blueprint, Stillmatic, Marshall Mathers LP, College Dropout are pretty common in the classic list of most people.

I will put a thread with voting for each one. At the end of voting, all albums that get more than 50% nominations will then be voted on for classic status by DubCC members. I'm thinking it'll have to be more than 75% of the votes to be a classic. I know in most places it's 100%, but I think with internet voters, you'll have too many haters and hell, not even The Chronic would get 100% of the votes 'cause some old Eazy E fan would hate on it.

ikke

« Reply #85 on: October 01, 2009, 08:54:45 AM »
Xzibit - restless
Ice CUbe - Vol. 2 peace edition
Ghostface Killah - Supreme clientele
Eminem - Marshal Matters LP

These are classic no discussion

Chad Vader

« Reply #86 on: October 29, 2009, 03:21:54 PM »
Vader you can also group Scarface, Geto Boys and 99% of Rap-A-Lot in that non hip hop category of gangster rap too.
I know, I know, it is Houston, TX people but it is gangster as fuck out there and I heard Face talk about it so he is just as guilty as Cube.  ;)

sure!!! Gangster rap is the bastard child of Hip Hop,the one we love to hate.  :P
But fuck it,some of the best rap albums ever made is gangster rap.

Too Short once said,that except his first albums....
he took a consciousness move to NOT have scratching on his records because what he does ain't "Hip Hop".

;D

I like how Bun B put it;

Bun B interview in FC#17 2009

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #87 on: October 29, 2009, 03:58:57 PM »
Its important to separate "hip hop music" from "hip hop culture."

Chad Vader

« Reply #88 on: October 29, 2009, 04:53:03 PM »
lol, how Em is anything but a straight up mc i dont know

So what? MC doesn´t make you Hip Hop  :P

?

Blasphemy

« Reply #89 on: October 29, 2009, 05:36:25 PM »
lol, how Em is anything but a straight up mc i dont know

So what? MC doesn´t make you Hip Hop  :P

?

Just because you do not like eminem doesn't mean you have the right to try and take his effect/advancement in the game. That Bun B interview aint shit, because the general consensus of hip-hop is that there isn't any.Every motherfucker has there own definition for what is Hip-hop and rap.What makes a person real, what makes the person be the personification of it.

Anyways, people are listing classics the wrong way. Only a handful of these albums are classics. Doesn't mean the 1s that didn't make the list, its just these are the diamonds among the gems.

These are just a couple I'll use for example.

The Marshall Mathers LP

Get rich or Die trying

The Documentary

These 3 albums dominated, change the game, and introduced a new element into the game.

The Marshall Mathers LP dark, deep personal attitude, the introduction of "Stan" a term now widely used among fans/artist, driven by harsh controversy, refusal to buy into the hype. Eminem didn't try and make him self appear the most hardcore motherfucker on that album, he simply called them on the bullshit. Like the School Shooting of Columbine being a issue, now that it hit white middle America, even though school shootings have happened many times in the poorer areas, yet never get any coverage. His own personal issues, the his reflection of the critisims, Slim Shady had no appearance, nothing more then Eminem his thoughts on the events, and how the retrospective showed how hypocritical notion of our society. The album showed inner demons, witty wordplay unmatched, and topics no one else talked about at the time.

Get Rich or die trying, pretty much brought the entire Club scene that dominated rap. Lets face it, this is when hip-hop turned into shit. This album was so good, the entire industry took advantage and began producing club artist like crazy, the result is sad though. Despite the fact 50 Cents album is so good, its effects have become negative, now people only care about a club track. Nothing less nothing more. This influence is sorta like The Chronic. It dropped, and then everyone copied.

The Documentary, The Game's first album a certified classic, sure the club presence was there do to 50 cent, but the topics, the ambition, everything was there. The album brought back spotlight and brought attention to many west coast rappers who would of never gotten into the game. Though the fact this album never will be praised for its lyricism do to the constant name dropping, its effect in westcoast hip hop is evidence, with the new array of west coast rappers finally getting a chance to be show case. Only question is, who will capitalize off this new found spotlight, and who will become the next stepping stone into bring back West Coast rap back from the blacklist and get a chance of fairplay.

See, these albums Have reasons to be consider classic. Stillamitic, is good, but doesn't deserve it, cause it had no true lasting effect.

Album's like The Chronic, Illmatic, 2001 all had some effect in the game.

Honestly, seems people want to put any album as a classic, when in reality the album is nothing more then a great album that won't ever be deserved to be called a classic. someone should actually make a list lol I mean a very definiative list, because the Source is bullshit, its always been slanted towards the East Coast, and never gave West its proper respect. So fuck that bullshit media mag, and fuck the mother fucker who only calls albums a classic when someone else does.

Soulja Boy's Single "Crank Dat" is nothing more then a 1 hit wonder, that had no effect. All it did was represent how much lyricism, content, and meaning has been lost into hip-hop. It show's mainstream amerikkka's effect on hip-hop has is nothing more then detrimental to the genre and destroys its content for its true fanbase.

Honestly I was thinking about making a list, but then I thought Who'd give a shit?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 05:46:34 PM by Blasphemy »