Author Topic: Rock>>>>>>Hip-Hop  (Read 1055 times)

Blasphemy

Re: Rock>>>>>>Hip-Hop
« Reply #60 on: October 13, 2009, 01:02:01 PM »
Lyrically hip hop has vastly improved from the 70s and 80s. Production-wise as well. I don't see how you can think otherwise.

While this is true, only a few rappers have remained Lyrical front runners even after the original impact forced everyone 2 improve. Southern rap pretty much destroys lyrical emphasize with it repeating the same words over and over....

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #61 on: October 13, 2009, 01:26:37 PM »
I hate to kick a dead horse, but if Little Richard, Chuck Berry and Elvis are Rock and Creed, Nickelback, and Korn are Rock, then why aren't Nas, Jay Z, and Kanye Rock?

A lot of people rag on me for saying hip hop is rock but can anyone answer my question? How is Korn a album more similar to a Chuck Berry album a than Nas album is?

What is Rock and Roll? Is it only the late 50s, and early 60s stuff? People need to stop labeling shit. Staying Alive is Disco, but Billie Jean is pop, while Another Bites the Dust is rock, but all three songs sound very similar to my ears.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #62 on: October 13, 2009, 01:32:55 PM »
Lyrically hip hop has vastly improved from the 70s and 80s. Production-wise as well. I don't see how you can think otherwise.

While this is true, only a few rappers have remained Lyrical front runners even after the original impact forced everyone 2 improve. Southern rap pretty much destroys lyrical emphasize with it repeating the same words over and over....

I completely disagree. You might feel that way if you listen to mostly mainstream music, but take into mind that the "mainstream" is a very small percentage of hip hop music overall. There's really only about 10 rap songs getting airplay at any given moment, meanwhile the number of rappers putting out music is in the hundreds, maybe even thousands. Underground music might not get much attention, but as far as numbers it has far more artists putting out music.

People want to act like there wasn't bad music coming out in the 70s, 80s and 90s, when in fact there were many mediocre artists. The girls from JJ Fad weren't any better at rapping than Soulja Boy is. Kris Kross? Tag Team? I could name tons more if I wanted to waste time looking up crappy pop singles that everyone has forgotten. The fact is that catchy pop songs were churned out year after year, the reason everyone forgets that is because they didn't make any noticeable impact and they didn't have lasting appeal.

Every week I post a dope album released this year that I have checked out and the thread gets zero responses. How can someone claim hip hop isn't thriving when they haven't even heard of most of the albums released?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 01:46:36 PM by Captain Pollution »

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #63 on: October 16, 2009, 09:40:26 AM »

I completely disagree. You might feel that way if you listen to mostly mainstream music, but take into mind that the "mainstream" is a very small percentage of hip hop music overall. There's really only about 10 rap songs getting airplay at any given moment, meanwhile the number of rappers putting out music is in the hundreds, maybe even thousands. Underground music might not get much attention, but as far as numbers it has far more artists putting out music.

People want to act like there wasn't bad music coming out in the 70s, 80s and 90s, when in fact there were many mediocre artists. The girls from JJ Fad weren't any better at rapping than Soulja Boy is. Kris Kross? Tag Team? I could name tons more if I wanted to waste time looking up crappy pop singles that everyone has forgotten. The fact is that catchy pop songs were churned out year after year, the reason everyone forgets that is because they didn't make any noticeable impact and they didn't have lasting appeal.

Every week I post a dope album released this year that I have checked out and the thread gets zero responses. How can someone claim hip hop isn't thriving when they haven't even heard of most of the albums released?

The mainstream is an even smaller percentage for what the board deems as Rock. There are 4 and 5 piece bands all over the world putting out amazing albums and no one hears them.

Just off the top of my head, amazing albums I've been listening to these past few years

The Hold Steady - Boys and Girls in America
Josh Ritter - The Historical Conquests of Josh Ritter
Gaslight Anthem - The 59 Sound
The Greenhornes - Sewed Souls
The Reigning Sound - Time Bomb Highschool
Tim Brantley - Goldtop Heights
Ben Kweller - Ben Keller
Marah - If You Didn't Laugh, You'd Cry
Titus Andronicus - The Airing of Grievances
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 09:21:20 PM by Shallow »