Poll

Which album do you like more?

No Limit Top Dogg
24 (34.3%)
Tha Last Meal
46 (65.7%)

Total Members Voted: 64

Author Topic: No Limit Top Dogg or Tha Last Meal  (Read 2559 times)

Duck Duck Doggy

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Lay back and twist one
Re: No Limit Top Dogg or Tha Last Meal
« Reply #105 on: March 23, 2023, 06:19:32 PM »
Snoop should definitely re-release Tha Last Meal for the 25th anniversary with all those leftover tracks

I agree but look at how he’s handled owning death row so far. I wouldn’t hold my breath. That would be up to Master P though since it came out on No Limit and he doesn’t seem to really give a shit about music anymore. Doubt they even have access to those files still

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #106 on: March 24, 2023, 01:51:22 AM »
speaking of the advance anyone remember when Death Row leaked the retail version of Last Meal before it was released?

Yeah those were some strange days when it came to album sales.  I’m Infinite trapped in 1996 because the game beyond that I honestly don’t understand.  Prior to everyone having a computer artists could pour like 2 years of themselves into an album and play tracks for their label, their homies, and continue to modify that shit until it was right—and then once it was right it would be even more months of creative process that went into building anticipation for an album.  So that’s why we still remember the day we first went to the store and bought 7 Day Theory or Doggfather, cause album releases were like events back then.  But the internet fucced all that up.

Death Row posted Snoops entire album for free on the net before it could even reach shelves!!  I thought for sure Snoop was fucced.  And there was a big rivalry in those days with the South and New York having taken over after Pac died and the West was making its comeback and Suge was trying to fucc that up.  I was shocked when Snoop still managed to sell like 300,000 or something first week even after being leaked he still had good sales.  That was a strange few years when like everyone was leaking and bootlegging albums like MMLP or Get Rich and Die Trying and yet and still they could sell a million in a first week… that was a crazy time but it didn’t last long because eventually all the record stores had to shut down and it’s came to a point now where it’s about streams and the art of creating a classic album is lost

Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

The following users thanked this post: Sccit, HighEyeCue

Young Old Head

« Reply #107 on: March 24, 2023, 07:09:33 AM »
I agree but look at how he’s handled owning death row so far. I wouldn’t hold my breath. That would be up to Master P though since it came out on No Limit and he doesn’t seem to really give a shit about music anymore. Doubt they even have access to those files still

Yeah, I doubt they'll do any anniversary releases, was just dreaming for a second  ;D

Cash Money Blood Gang

HighEyeCue

« Reply #108 on: March 24, 2023, 09:58:45 AM »
Yeah those were some strange days when it came to album sales.  I’m Infinite trapped in 1996 because the game beyond that I honestly don’t understand.  Prior to everyone having a computer artists could pour like 2 years of themselves into an album and play tracks for their label, their homies, and continue to modify that shit until it was right—and then once it was right it would be even more months of creative process that went into building anticipation for an album.  So that’s why we still remember the day we first went to the store and bought 7 Day Theory or Doggfather, cause album releases were like events back then.  But the internet fucced all that up.

Death Row posted Snoops entire album for free on the net before it could even reach shelves!!  I thought for sure Snoop was fucced.  And there was a big rivalry in those days with the South and New York having taken over after Pac died and the West was making its comeback and Suge was trying to fucc that up.  I was shocked when Snoop still managed to sell like 300,000 or something first week even after being leaked he still had good sales.  That was a strange few years when like everyone was leaking and bootlegging albums like MMLP or Get Rich and Die Trying and yet and still they could sell a million in a first week… that was a crazy time but it didn’t last long because eventually all the record stores had to shut down and it’s came to a point now where it’s about streams and the art of creating a classic album is lost

you are right, it actually sold close to 400,000 which was very impressive considering Top Dogg 1st week was under 200,000...it did come out the week before Christmas which was a huge sales week back in the day for record stores...I miss those days, never got into the streaming era myself...when I want to listen to an old album I have it on my hard drive which was uploaded from the CDs which I still have

k1000

« Reply #109 on: March 24, 2023, 01:15:21 PM »
Meach was the fuccin dude back then when he linked with Snoop on so many solid cuts, "G Thang", and probably the biggest banger of all with Meach "My Heat Goes Boom" and then this one "Yall Gone Miss Me".

"Purple" and "Ya'll Gone Miss Me" were the only joints I really bumped on the Sampler.

"Y’all Gone Miss Me" not produced by Meech actually.

Dee Tha AK

« Reply #110 on: March 24, 2023, 10:57:20 PM »

Scott Storch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #111 on: March 25, 2023, 07:17:21 AM »

Sorry, that shit sounded like Meach, and I got all my fuccin cases and liner notes jacked in summer 01' when I was moving apartments (they thought the cd's were inside) or else I would never make such a mistake cause I used to be real detailed about that shit

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #112 on: March 25, 2023, 07:37:30 AM »
you are right, it actually sold close to 400,000 which was very impressive considering Top Dogg 1st week was under 200,000...it did come out the week before Christmas which was a huge sales week back in the day for record stores...I miss those days, never got into the streaming era myself...when I want to listen to an old album I have it on my hard drive which was uploaded from the CDs which I still have

No doubt homie.. we must be the same age cause we always have the same recollections from that era. 

And you mentioned Top Dogg being under 200,000 in his first week—I'd really like to do a deep dive into the history of that Top Dogg album at some point, the way I did with Daz Revenge Retaliation and Get Back (which no one liked or listened to and I spent like full days trying to put together).

If I was doing a deep dive on the Top Dogg album—there are a lot of interesting details surrounding its release.  Even though Da Game was a shit album it still had that big lead single released a month in advance of the album "Still A G Thang" which I think did just enough to satisfy his hard core fans like me and also get him radio and video play—get sales off the single ahead of the album—and P even milked it for all he could using the video shoot basically to make an extended movie for VHS starring Snoop.

Well, by the time Top Dogg came around they barely did any promo.  And this time instead of having a steller single for a shit album, they actually had a shit single for a stellar album!!   They released this garbage...

That didn't get no radio play and barely got on BET.  It may have been that they wanted to do something with "Snoopafella" but Suge fucced that up by putting out the Top Dogg version video, which did get some video and airplay. 

So the album basically hit shelves with nothing.. hence the 190,000 sold for Snoop which just shows how loyal Snoops fans were that we all still were there supporting him after he let us down on Doggfather and then even worse with Da Game.  Still we were all loyal and supporting dogg to the tune of 190,000 sold.

...Of course.. around a month or so later "BITCH PLEASE" started making noise on Radio and Video, the album went platinum, and the rest is West Coast history!! 

The following users thanked this post: HighEyeCue

Dee Tha AK

« Reply #113 on: March 25, 2023, 07:38:16 AM »
Sorry, that shit sounded like Meach, and I got all my fuccin cases and liner notes jacked in summer 01' when I was moving apartments (they thought the cd's were inside) or else I would never make such a mistake cause I used to be real detailed about that shit

The Thing Is Discogs Credits To Different Producers On Each Different Issue Of The Release.
Scott Storch Is One Of Them.

Okka

« Reply #114 on: March 25, 2023, 03:18:40 PM »
The Thing Is Discogs Credits To Different Producers On Each Different Issue Of The Release.
Scott Storch Is One Of Them.

That's not how Discogs works. What are you talking about? Scott Storch produced that song.

HighEyeCue

« Reply #115 on: March 28, 2023, 04:51:44 AM »
No doubt homie.. we must be the same age cause we always have the same recollections from that era. 

And you mentioned Top Dogg being under 200,000 in his first week—I'd really like to do a deep dive into the history of that Top Dogg album at some point, the way I did with Daz Revenge Retaliation and Get Back (which no one liked or listened to and I spent like full days trying to put together).

If I was doing a deep dive on the Top Dogg album—there are a lot of interesting details surrounding its release.  Even though Da Game was a shit album it still had that big lead single released a month in advance of the album "Still A G Thang" which I think did just enough to satisfy his hard core fans like me and also get him radio and video play—get sales off the single ahead of the album—and P even milked it for all he could using the video shoot basically to make an extended movie for VHS starring Snoop.

Well, by the time Top Dogg came around they barely did any promo.  And this time instead of having a steller single for a shit album, they actually had a shit single for a stellar album!!   They released this garbage...

That didn't get no radio play and barely got on BET.  It may have been that they wanted to do something with "Snoopafella" but Suge fucced that up by putting out the Top Dogg version video, which did get some video and airplay. 

So the album basically hit shelves with nothing.. hence the 190,000 sold for Snoop which just shows how loyal Snoops fans were that we all still were there supporting him after he let us down on Doggfather and then even worse with Da Game.  Still we were all loyal and supporting dogg to the tune of 190,000 sold.

...Of course.. around a month or so later "BITCH PLEASE" started making noise on Radio and Video, the album went platinum, and the rest is West Coast history!!

for sure...there were some terrible single choices by No Limit, remember this one from "Da Game"

I know they wanted a "No Limit" style anthem after "Still A G Thang" but this wasn't it

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #116 on: March 30, 2023, 12:22:24 AM »
for sure...there were some terrible single choices by No Limit, remember this one from "Da Game"

I know they wanted a "No Limit" style anthem after "Still A G Thang" but this wasn't it

Yeah, P was always trying to milk these gimmicks and catchphrases.  It worked brilliantly with "Make Um Say Uhhh" so he tried many times to do it again but it usually fell on it's face.  So instead of "Make Um Say Uhhhhh" he tried to a do a "Make Ummm Say Woof" and it was an embarrassment to Snoop's career and integrity.  Dr. Dre had to save his career after that. 

P also tried to make the "HOOOTIE HOO" catchphrases big with his song with TRU but it never caught on, Outkast version in 95' was much better if it was gonna catch on it would have then.  Then he did the "Wobble Wobble" thing in 99' that caught on a bit

Sccit

« Reply #117 on: March 30, 2023, 01:33:55 AM »
Yeah, P was always trying to milk these gimmicks and catchphrases.  It worked brilliantly with "Make Um Say Uhhh" so he tried many times to do it again but it usually fell on it's face.  So instead of "Make Um Say Uhhhhh" he tried to a do a "Make Ummm Say Woof" and it was an embarrassment to Snoop's career and integrity.  Dr. Dre had to save his career after that. 

P also tried to make the "HOOOTIE HOO" catchphrases big with his song with TRU but it never caught on, Outkast version in 95' was much better if it was gonna catch on it would have then.  Then he did the "Wobble Wobble" thing in 99' that caught on a bit

hootie hoo kinda did catch on out here tho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #118 on: March 30, 2023, 08:56:54 AM »
hootie hoo kinda did catch on out here tho

ahh word.. well, there was a bangin outkast cut on their first album that pushed that phrase but they didn't make it a single.. P was pretty blatant about exploiting that catchphase in early 2000 the TRU album I don't remember it selling well but maybe it caught on out West and did better than I thought

The Cash Money "Wodie" thing caught on pretty big in the midwest, and that stupid ass "Bling, Bling" catchphrase was huge in the midwest in 99/2000