Poll

Which album do you like more?

No Limit Top Dogg
24 (34.3%)
Tha Last Meal
46 (65.7%)

Total Members Voted: 64

Author Topic: No Limit Top Dogg or Tha Last Meal  (Read 2533 times)

doggfather

Re: No Limit Top Dogg or Tha Last Meal
« Reply #75 on: February 11, 2022, 03:44:13 AM »
topp dogg is too no limit to me.
not as no limit as the previous Da game is, but more no limit than tha last meal.
like the singles, got fav tracks besides, but overall cant really like it till nowday.
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

HighEyeCue

« Reply #76 on: February 11, 2022, 04:39:01 AM »
topp dogg is too no limit to me.
not as no limit as the previous Da game is, but more no limit than tha last meal.
like the singles, got fav tracks besides, but overall cant really like it till nowday.

tbh theres only 2 No Limit tracks on Top Dogg ;D

Ghetto Symphony
Down for my Ns

doggfather

« Reply #77 on: February 11, 2022, 04:49:18 AM »
i know.
still.
those feelings.  :(

HELP

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #78 on: February 11, 2022, 04:51:33 AM »

bad azz helped write snoop’s verse n hittman wrote dre’s

I bet Bad Azz came up with the hook and concept as well—Bad Azz always using “Dippin” in his rhymes
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Sccit

« Reply #79 on: February 11, 2022, 08:01:35 AM »
i know.
still.
those feelings.  :(

down 4 my nz is way better than the no limit joint on tha last meal

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #80 on: February 11, 2022, 08:35:47 AM »

All the fuccin dipshit ignorant rap fans at my school only liked “Down 4 My Niggaz” and actually bought that album for that song—used to hear that shit bumpin in the school parking lot and disused at lunch tables and never a word about “Bitch Please”

Lol

People forget how big No Limit was in the day, around that time rap fans in KC were switching to Cash Money... these were casual rap fans I’m talking about btw... I was actually the only true head in my whole school aside from H20 Proof who also used to post here at the forum (he was into No Limit but was up on all the other shit as well)

doggfather

« Reply #81 on: February 11, 2022, 08:41:46 AM »

Once again. Cant change how i FEEL.

HELP

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

Jay_J

« Reply #82 on: February 11, 2022, 11:42:25 AM »

bad azz helped write snoop’s verse n hittman wrote dre’s

told ya!! its easy to guess by the way without checking booklet on this about Dre's verse. very specific flow of hitman.

heyyou

« Reply #83 on: March 19, 2023, 05:44:52 AM »
Some good comments on this post!

Both NL Top Doog & Tha Last Meal are some of my favourite Snoop albums in his catalogue (obviously Doggystyle is no.1). Tha Blue Carpet Treatment is also in the mix.
Paid Tha Boss was a very solid album, but was kinda disappointed Dre was missing.

I have different feelings about NLTD & Last Meal, because after listening to NLTD, I was like DAMN that classic Snoop is back after the disappointing Da Game album.
The Last Meal felt like a more cohesive project and was better put together (I think Dre mixed the majority of the album too).
I feel the are more weaker/average songs on the Last Meal though that I just didn't bother ripping from the CD to my music library. There were only a couple of tracks on NLTD that I always skip - Somethin bout your buisness, Love my momma (beat was tight though). I could just about manage to listen to Down 4 my N'z depending on my mood.

As usual, the main gripe on a lot of Snoop's albums, they are just too long - Too many tracks, interludes that weren't necessary and some tracks could have been shaved rightdown by at least a minute!
Also the advance version of Tha Last Meal had some many dope tracks that never made it to the final release. As someone already posted, Snoop needs to release a 'lost tapes' album of the unreleased tracks. How 'No Bacctraccin' didn't get on there I have no clue! Meach Wells produced some heat on those tracks!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #84 on: March 19, 2023, 11:59:49 PM »

I have different feelings about NLTD & Last Meal, because after listening to NLTD, I was like DAMN that classic Snoop is back after the disappointing Da Game album.
The Last Meal felt like a more cohesive project and was better put together (I think Dre mixed the majority of the album too).
I feel the are more weaker/average songs on the Last Meal though that I just didn't bother ripping from the CD to my music library. There were only a couple of tracks on NLTD that I always skip - Somethin bout your buisness, Love my momma (beat was tight though). I could just about manage to listen to Down 4 my N'z depending on my mood.

As usual, the main gripe on a lot of Snoop's albums, they are just too long - Too many tracks, interludes that weren't necessary and some tracks could have been shaved rightdown by at least a minute!
Also the advance version of Tha Last Meal had some many dope tracks that never made it to the final release. As someone already posted, Snoop needs to release a 'lost tapes' album of the unreleased tracks. How 'No Bacctraccin' didn't get on there I have no clue! Meach Wells produced some heat on those tracks!

"Purple" was really the only song on The Last Meal advance that I would've added to the final product.  Definitely remove the No Limit joint (though Master P probably insisted) and yeah, maybe a couple others could have been trimmed off.  Top Dogg really had no filler.  You could play that album the whole way through. That's why I give the slight nod to Top Dogg.

Interestingly enough, "Lay Low" is having a big resurgence right now.  I'm not sure if Snoop is capitalizing because the video on youtube wasn't even on his official youtube, or No Limit Youtube.  But... what happened was there was a viral video of someone like Whitney Houston or Niki Minaj that was floating on the net, where they say at an awards show the catchphrase "YOUUU Better Lay Low!!"  So now it's like a catchphrase with black women all over "LAY LOW" or "You BETTER LAY LOW". 

So as is the case with trends and catchphases when those type of things catch on your shit explodes through the roof.  Just remember how big P's "Make Um Say UHHHH, NA NA NA" got--well guess what.. that catchphrase has also gone viral again recently and everyone is getting back into that song blowing up again and I'm sure P making another round of cheese off of it. 

Maybe he can give it to his son Romeo, lol (just kidding, I take P's side in that dispute)

at 3:24 where Whitney says "You Better Lay Low" is viral recently on internet. When I first heard people saying it I thought it was the Snoop song they were referencing and I was like, "oh nice, you got good taste in music."  Took me a while to realize most of them saying it don't even know about the Snoop track.

Props to Nate actually for coining it on record.

Sccit

« Reply #85 on: March 20, 2023, 12:54:23 AM »
"Purple" was really the only song on The Last Meal advance that I would've added to the final product.  Definitely remove the No Limit joint (though Master P probably insisted) and yeah, maybe a couple others could have been trimmed off.  Top Dogg really had no filler.  You could play that album the whole way through. That's why I give the slight nod to Top Dogg.

Interestingly enough, "Lay Low" is having a big resurgence right now.  I'm not sure if Snoop is capitalizing because the video on youtube wasn't even on his official youtube, or No Limit Youtube.  But... what happened was there was a viral video of someone like Whitney Houston or Niki Minaj that was floating on the net, where they say at an awards show the catchphrase "YOUUU Better Lay Low!!"  So now it's like a catchphrase with black women all over "LAY LOW" or "You BETTER LAY LOW". 

So as is the case with trends and catchphases when those type of things catch on your shit explodes through the roof.  Just remember how big P's "Make Um Say UHHHH, NA NA NA" got--well guess what.. that catchphrase has also gone viral again recently and everyone is getting back into that song blowing up again and I'm sure P making another round of cheese off of it. 

Maybe he can give it to his son Romeo, lol (just kidding, I take P's side in that dispute)

at 3:24 where Whitney says "You Better Lay Low" is viral recently on internet. When I first heard people saying it I thought it was the Snoop song they were referencing and I was like, "oh nice, you got good taste in music."  Took me a while to realize most of them saying it don't even know about the Snoop track.

Props to Nate actually for coining it on record.

lay low was a term way before the song came out homie

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #86 on: March 20, 2023, 01:48:44 AM »

lay low was a term way before the song came out homie

being pedantic and splitting hairs again... do I have 324 hairs on my head or 322?

It's like the argument over who was the first to coin "G Funk" on a record -- Pac was the first to put it on a big record.  The black women going round saying "Lay Low" are saying it mimicking the tone and cadence from Nate in the song.  And saying the whole phrase... "YOU BETTER LAY LOW"

It's the whole phrase all together --  "YOU BETTER LAY LOW!"

Dee Tha AK

« Reply #87 on: March 20, 2023, 12:05:46 PM »
I bought both Snoop NL albums

Remember waiting for MTV 2 see "Can't Take The Heat" w Mia X

NLTD was more West Coast

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #88 on: March 20, 2023, 12:25:04 PM »
I bought both Snoop NL albums

Remember waiting for MTV 2 see "Can't Take The Heat" w Mia X

“Still A G Thang” was fucking dope cause Meach did the joint it wasn’t really a No Limit track and Snoop still had his prime level swag on “Slow Down” but it was just a generic No Limit single they coulda put on anyone’s album whoever’s turn it was—Snoop signed to the label they already had that single ready for him probably.

But at the end of the day Snoop was still near his prime so he hooked up wit his homie Meach and did “Still A G Thang” to save the day — that was a big joint for me I loved that song and banged the hell out of it and had good nights and good memories to that one summer 98

Dee Tha AK

« Reply #89 on: March 20, 2023, 09:02:46 PM »
“Still A G Thang” was fucking dope cause Meach did the joint it wasn’t really a No Limit track and Snoop still had his prime level swag on “Slow Down” but it was just a generic No Limit single they coulda put on anyone’s album whoever’s turn it was—Snoop signed to the label they already had that single ready for him probably.

But at the end of the day Snoop was still near his prime so he hooked up wit his homie Meach and did “Still A G Thang” to save the day — that was a big joint for me I loved that song and banged the hell out of it and had good nights and good memories to that one summer 98

Both albums had tight NL & west coast flava. "Still a g thang" was one them definitely.