Author Topic: got charged with petty theft ** update**  (Read 821 times)

Triple OG Rapsodie

Re: got charged with petty theft
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2009, 01:25:41 AM »
hahah, 12 dollars!!?? You're right you're a dumbass. Petty crimes are so stupid. I can understand why people would do big robberies for the payoff, but what would possess you to risk your record over 12 dollars?

Elano

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2009, 01:26:50 AM »
fuck i got charged with petty theft. i was a dum ass and took 12$ worth of food at safeway and there charging me with petty theft.

LMFAO

ikke

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2009, 03:35:01 AM »
Idiot lol

Þŕiņçë

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Cold Hearted Son Of A Bitch
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2009, 08:18:41 AM »
wow. you fuckin bum.

Cali Climate

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2009, 09:26:54 AM »
One misdemeanor is no big deal. You wont get any jail or anything, even with it on your record (which you can still have expunged as an adult), you can play it down as a misunderstanding and still get hired. I wouldnt be tripping over it.

Herbal_Life

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2009, 09:56:56 AM »
fuck i got charged with petty theft. i was a dum ass and took 12$ worth of food at safeway and there charging me with petty theft. i got court n 45 days and cant afford a laywer they want 1200$ cash. i cant get that n 45 days . i have no recored so this is my first charge. can any one help me its a long shot. this happend n cali
BAY AREA

acgrundy

Re: got charged with petty theft ** update**
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2009, 06:19:08 PM »
I have petty theft on my record.  Its not that big of a deal.  If it is your first offense, clean record, the judge may possibly drop the charges.  I wouldn't pay $1200 for a lawyer for it.  Mine was when I was a juvenile, so its not really a big deal, and I can get it sealed if I just go through the necessary steps.  Every job I have had for the past several years have done background checks on me, and this doesn't seem to matter.  One company cared, but I just explained it to them and they hired me.

Just tell the judge that is was only $12 worth of stuff, and for the most part you are a good person and this being on your record is really bad.  Probably bring in some proof of what you are doing with your life (school, job, volunteering, etc.)

You really should learn how to handle this situation better though.  Its always best to cry and then snitch on your girlfriend and let her take the fall.

did u have to pay fines or any thing els?

No fine, I had to do 6 hours of community service haha, and the place I did the community service let me off after 4 hours.  But like I said, I was a minor and it was my first offense.

However when I was an adult I got busted for petty theft in a different state though.  I actually had to spend 5 days in jail, and total fines added up to like $2000 or so, I can't remember.  I never know if this one actually got put on my record though, because background checks are so complicated, they are normally only done by state.  I pulled a background check on my self a month ago because I wanted to know, and it never showed up, but it was only for california.

Like I said, I wouldn't worry.  I can guarantee you won't go to jail.  Just tell the judge the truth and be smart about it.  Its $12, not like you stole a car or robbed a bank.  Hopefully you do have a career oriented future, tell the judge your plans, and how you really don't want this on your record.  That is how I would handle it.

Another thing you might want to consider doing is going back to the safeway and talking to some high level managers.  Tell them how sorry you are and you would like the opportunity to make it up to them.  Hell, tell them you will come to their house and mow their lawn or wash their car...be creative.  The district attorney has to file the actual charges against you.  Safeway, can, if they want, decide that the charges be dropped.

Sickaluffa

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • my bitch drives what u drive and she got new tits
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2009, 10:36:40 PM »
I have petty theft on my record.  Its not that big of a deal.  If it is your first offense, clean record, the judge may possibly drop the charges.  I wouldn't pay $1200 for a lawyer for it.  Mine was when I was a juvenile, so its not really a big deal, and I can get it sealed if I just go through the necessary steps.  Every job I have had for the past several years have done background checks on me, and this doesn't seem to matter.  One company cared, but I just explained it to them and they hired me.

Just tell the judge that is was only $12 worth of stuff, and for the most part you are a good person and this being on your record is really bad.  Probably bring in some proof of what you are doing with your life (school, job, volunteering, etc.)

You really should learn how to handle this situation better though.  Its always best to cry and then snitch on your girlfriend and let her take the fall.

did u have to pay fines or any thing els?

No fine, I had to do 6 hours of community service haha, and the place I did the community service let me off after 4 hours.  But like I said, I was a minor and it was my first offense.

However when I was an adult I got busted for petty theft in a different state though.  I actually had to spend 5 days in jail, and total fines added up to like $2000 or so, I can't remember.  I never know if this one actually got put on my record though, because background checks are so complicated, they are normally only done by state.  I pulled a background check on my self a month ago because I wanted to know, and it never showed up, but it was only for california.

Like I said, I wouldn't worry.  I can guarantee you won't go to jail.  Just tell the judge the truth and be smart about it.  Its $12, not like you stole a car or robbed a bank.  Hopefully you do have a career oriented future, tell the judge your plans, and how you really don't want this on your record.  That is how I would handle it.

Another thing you might want to consider doing is going back to the safeway and talking to some high level managers.  Tell them how sorry you are and you would like the opportunity to make it up to them.  Hell, tell them you will come to their house and mow their lawn or wash their car...be creative.  The district attorney has to file the actual charges against you.  Safeway, can, if they want, decide that the charges be dropped.

+1  im going to go n safeway and talk to the manger

Muhfukka

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2009, 10:41:08 PM »
are you kidding? it doesnt matter if its on your record, it is a fucking misdemeanor. jobs can only ask about felonies

Sickaluffa

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • my bitch drives what u drive and she got new tits
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2009, 10:47:41 PM »
are you kidding? it doesnt matter if its on your record, it is a fucking misdemeanor. jobs can only ask about felonies

in cali im not sure can any one look up the laws about jobs doing back round search  and seeing if it looks just for felonies

acgrundy

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2009, 10:49:22 PM »

no they can't...they ask about misdemeanors all the time.  Like I said, probably the last 3 or 4 jobs I have had I had to go through a background check on all of them, and misdemeanors show up.  I stated before, one job did the background check and sent me a letter stating that I had this on my record, and then I had to go through and explain it to them.

If you actually do get charged w/ petty theft it will be on your permanent record forever.  Unless you are a juvenile.

Muhfukka

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2009, 10:56:25 PM »
really? i always thought it was only felonies. every job application i ave done (not a whole lot hahaha) only asked if i had been convicted of a felony. were you trying to get government jobs or something?

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2009, 10:58:43 PM »
tell them u were stealing it to feed ur poor family
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

acgrundy

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2009, 11:04:28 PM »
really? i always thought it was only felonies. every job application i ave done (not a whole lot hahaha) only asked if i had been convicted of a felony. were you trying to get government jobs or something?

I work for the government now, but other were in banking/finance/accounting/mortgage type stuff.  I pretty much figure that I will have to go through a background check for every job I have for the rest of my life.  It seems like any decent job will require it these days.

JAZ

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2009, 12:25:48 AM »
so whats the update?