Author Topic: new John Payne interview  (Read 600 times)

satlite

Re: new John Payne interview
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2009, 03:15:45 AM »
to me Im highly disappointed. Compared to others, he's like the PC(president choice) level compared to other VP's

bigdave

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2009, 05:12:36 AM »
John's a real stand up guy, I believe he actually gives a shit about the music which is lucky for Death Row fans because it could have been some massive bullshit corporate label that bought it and we'd be hearing Pac classics on Macdonalds commercials.

Ive worked with John and he's always true to his word, as he's said in a lot of interviews he left Death Row in the early days but he did master Deep Cover..
Everyone else I work with has mad respect for the guy, shit he even speaks with kids at a hip hop class I run for homeless kids n kids in trouble and he doesnt get paid for that shit....I dont know to many people in his position that would do that unless they could get some publicity out of it, he's got my respect.
He was trusted at Motown and trusted with Death Row's first ever release so I guess that means Dre n Suge thought he was top class.

I personally think the re-mastered death row stuff sounds dope, the shits way fuller....Play the original chronic then play re-lit straight after.
The Lost Sessions is a nice release too, one of the better snoop lp's since Doggystyle, its more hard edge then his newer stuff.
Also John Payne didnt re-mix any of the music he's only re-mastered it.

Judge this cat after you see if his words meet up with his actions...Peace.

cheesefry

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2009, 06:54:04 AM »
shit he even speaks with kids at a hip hop class I run for homeless kids
shouldn't the first priority be getting a job and a place to live?  maybe they should try being a rapper after they have a pot to piss in.  just a thought.

Blasphemy

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2009, 08:27:36 AM »
John's a real stand up guy, I believe he actually gives a shit about the music which is lucky for Death Row fans because it could have been some massive bullshit corporate label that bought it and we'd be hearing Pac classics on Macdonalds commercials.

Ive worked with John and he's always true to his word, as he's said in a lot of interviews he left Death Row in the early days but he did master Deep Cover..
Everyone else I work with has mad respect for the guy, shit he even speaks with kids at a hip hop class I run for homeless kids n kids in trouble and he doesnt get paid for that shit....I dont know to many people in his position that would do that unless they could get some publicity out of it, he's got my respect.
He was trusted at Motown and trusted with Death Row's first ever release so I guess that means Dre n Suge thought he was top class.

I personally think the re-mastered death row stuff sounds dope, the shits way fuller....Play the original chronic then play re-lit straight after.
The Lost Sessions is a nice release too, one of the better snoop lp's since Doggystyle, its more hard edge then his newer stuff.
Also John Payne didnt re-mix any of the music he's only re-mastered it.

Judge this cat after you see if his words meet up with his actions...Peace.

I can't tell if this is some fake alias going for shock comedy, or some random dick rider. Either way, nj bumping a thread not needed.

Given the fact a variety of this stuff isn't properly mixed, incomplete, from different periods, and alternates, there is no way this can be considered one of the better snoop releases since doggystyle. Possibly one of the better compilations given it has more OG material. I agree the shit is more hard edge, but then again with songs like "sensual seduction" I think anything from his death row days could. Dogg Father can be considered more hard edge.

http://www.discogs.com/artist/John+Payne Yeah, he did master it, nothing is wrong with the mastering, aside from it fucking up in the back end (Chronic Re-lit) but the mixing is were the product is suffering. mastering a old shitty track is one thing, but mixing it is different. Mastering it just makes sure teh quality is CDQ and at top quality. Mixing is were all the sounds are in proper order, the synths, the drums all sound proper. OG represents the worse, given the synths extremely loud effect, Smoke On instrumental sounding way higher then snoops vocals.

I don't think anyone doubts he can master a track, hell anyone can, various singles always get remastered by DJs. Mixing is the problem.

Everyone keeps saying, oh we would of heard a 2PAC song in a commercial, we heard a fucked up crippled version of Can't See Me in a video game, that destroys the song. Now they are scoring new movies they are making with Death Row Films, so we will get to hear more unreleased stuff via the soundtrack, but you can't ignore the fact they are also a huge corporation.

Death Row is just a label with a ton of unreleased material, Wideawake is a bigger label, who bought it for one thing. Money. Lara Lavi can always say "We doing it for the fans" but just like any other business its just a bullshit PR thing. I don't give a damn if its for the fans or not, I just want that material OG, which is there entire premise. People can go on and on about the people fucking up death row, but in the end this label is done. Only thing we got left is this material. Leaked or sold retail I want it.

I don't give a damn about hyland, nor lara, only reason I give a shit about Payne is cause this nigga is the one actually messing with the material, the one doing the mixing and mastering. also if John Payne remixed the materiel, it would compromise the labels entire campaign of keep it OG. The moment its found out they did this, no one would support a wideawake release. food 4 thought.

LONDON!!

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2009, 09:52:52 AM »
props for the interview, good shit, the interviewer was a bit goofy though, but its all good, good shit
"get this money by any means nessassary"

bigdave

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2009, 02:26:46 PM »
Blasphemy these are just my opinions bro but I really do think the lost sessions is up there with the best Snoop Ive heard in ages...I will admit though that with songs like sensual seduction etc it isnt hard for it to be more hard egded...lol

Im no dick rider or alias man I just have a lot of respect for John and after reading this interview and checkin out this forum I wanted to drop a few words so that people dont get shit all twisted and think he is something that he's not.

Your right on the point that Wideawake is a big corporation too but thats why I really want people to understand that John is fighting to make sure that they treat what we love with the respect it deserves...As for Lara saying "We doing it for the fans" I had never heard of her before they bought up the catalogue and I dont think she had a anything to do with hip hop at all so I dont listen too much to what she has to say really.

Like you I just want all the old school Death Row stuff and I'll cop it any which way but I hope there is a future for the label beyond the vault stuff, it would be great to see them promoting new West Coast artists when the time comes.

bigdave

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2009, 02:32:43 PM »
shit he even speaks with kids at a hip hop class I run for homeless kids
shouldn't the first priority be getting a job and a place to live?  maybe they should try being a rapper after they have a pot to piss in.  just a thought.

The hip hop part of the project is like two hours a week as some fun shit for the kids to break up the bullshit they are going through.
The rest of the time is regular classes, counselling and looking for foster homes for the kids that need it.
Oh and the ones that are old enough to get jobs are taught skills and hooked up with job interviews.

sofdark

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2009, 04:04:26 PM »
this is the mothafucker responsible for snoops album.