Author Topic: Upcoming Westcoast Rappers Are Upset Radio Station Power 106....  (Read 872 times)

firingsquad_pooh

• Muthafuckin' OG
Re: Upcoming Westcoast Rappers Are Upset Radio Station Power 106....
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2009, 06:59:26 PM »
Gangsta rap is dead/dying.

Gangsta rap aint dead, it never died, it took steroids to the head n became Crooked I
power is a crossover station.we need to rebuild kday cause its our only urban station.

aaamusicgroupwest

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • AAA Music Group - Mega Producers
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2009, 09:39:45 AM »
Day 2 today at Power 106..

What r ur guys thoughts on the protest?

Do you feel like DJ's when they have free reign to play whatever on the 2hr slot mixshows, that it should be dominated by new westcoast rap?

Twitter us: @TECHNIEC @BLOCREBELMEDIA @aaamusicgroup @Longbeachls

ALBUM:  Techniec & L's Present: Blacklist - Purchase here: http://bit.ly/hF7JxS

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

WammyGiveaway

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2009, 11:02:04 AM »
How is gangbanging rap  "real life"? Do you really think.gangbangers spend their entire time rolling down the block looking for a cap to peel?  First off, 99% of them have never shot or killed anyone in their life. They have families, they have 9 to 5s, they have lives like everyone else. That's what's real life right there. I understand if they want to make a few songs about it or whatever, but when it starts to define their music, that's not real life. Just because you come from the streets doesn't mean you're involved in gun battles 247.

The real problem is, rappers from all sides - not just the west coast - are afraid to talk about their daily lives. They don't want to hear about school, being a procrastinator, a nerd, or their job. Basically, stuff pertaining to their childhood. Listeners want something that will relate to them on a more global scale. If the rapper's a victim of child abuse, go for it. If the rapper done something stupid that no one else should do, no matter how embarrassing or humiliating it may sound (even if they are gay), go for it. Sex, drugs, gangs and violence are old gimmicks that still sell, but the artist has to be willing to articulate that or relate it to everyday life.

Take me for example, an upcoming rap artist. When I want to write about something, I make sure that nothing of my life gets hidden. I'll talk about my love for cartoons, anime, video games and art in my raps, but have it be related to the verse or the topic I want to get across. When I want to discuss about how all I did was procrastinate, I'll describe it like it was the best days of my life. In other words, you gotta be willing to take a few scars to the skin like a papercut before assuming you're the best among everyone else.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 11:03:40 AM by WammyGiveaway »

SO PRUP

« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2009, 11:51:06 AM »
How is gangbanging rap  "real life"? Do you really think.gangbangers spend their entire time rolling down the block looking for a cap to peel?  First off, 99% of them have never shot or killed anyone in their life. They have families, they have 9 to 5s, they have lives like everyone else. That's what's real life right there. I understand if they want to make a few songs about it or whatever, but when it starts to define their music, that's not real life. Just because you come from the streets doesn't mean you're involved in gun battles 247.

The real problem is, rappers from all sides - not just the west coast - are afraid to talk about their daily lives. They don't want to hear about school, being a procrastinator, a nerd, or their job. Basically, stuff pertaining to their childhood. Listeners want something that will relate to them on a more global scale. If the rapper's a victim of child abuse, go for it. If the rapper done something stupid that no one else should do, no matter how embarrassing or humiliating it may sound (even if they are gay), go for it. Sex, drugs, gangs and violence are old gimmicks that still sell, but the artist has to be willing to articulate that or relate it to everyday life.

Take me for example, an upcoming rap artist. When I want to write about something, I make sure that nothing of my life gets hidden. I'll talk about my love for cartoons, anime, video games and art in my raps, but have it be related to the verse or the topic I want to get across. When I want to discuss about how all I did was procrastinate, I'll describe it like it was the best days of my life. In other words, you gotta be willing to take a few scars to the skin like a papercut before assuming you're the best among everyone else.

real shit right there

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2009, 02:29:41 PM »
How is gangbanging rap  "real life"? Do you really think.gangbangers spend their entire time rolling down the block looking for a cap to peel?  First off, 99% of them have never shot or killed anyone in their life. They have families, they have 9 to 5s, they have lives like everyone else. That's what's real life right there. I understand if they want to make a few songs about it or whatever, but when it starts to define their music, that's not real life. Just because you come from the streets doesn't mean you're involved in gun battles 247.

word. Even topics like procrastination can make a dope song, as long as its done the right way. The key is making it interesting.

Topics that were interesting in the 90s, (IE gangbanging), aren't really that interesting anymore because we've heard them a million different times, and a lot of the guys talking about it don't have the skill to flip it and make it original. I'll give props when a gangsta song is done in a creative way. But a lot of the shit I'm hearing is just rehashing what Ice Cube did better in the 90s.

Anyway, my point with what I was saying wasn't really to say what rappers should be doing with their music, just to point out that a record completely about gangbanging isn't "real life." Because that is always the defense I hear: "its real life, they're just doing what they know about." That's bullshit because no one's life is that simple, and evidence shows that most of them don't even live the lives they rap about. They are making those kind of songs because they aren't creative enough to cover different topics.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 02:31:30 PM by rapsodie, the troll prince »

DJ ACE CAPONE

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • An OG's OG
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2009, 02:41:27 PM »
I am so glad I don't listen to the radio.

Long live satellite, at least they are half decent.
New mixtape out weekly:

Listen to my mixtapes bitches! www.DJACEINTHEMIX.com