Author Topic: Thank God for J.Cole and Jay Electronica  (Read 205 times)

teecee

Thank God for J.Cole and Jay Electronica
« on: January 15, 2010, 10:35:05 PM »
   Exhibit A----when is the last time you heard a beat like that?  its like some mid 90's shit, and Jay got his Nas on

Lights Please- J.Cole

They both produce as well....these two are hiphop's future, believe it.

I don't know about you, but these joints are beyond classic to me...everyone be on Jay Elec now cuz of this new joint to...

Exhibit C-    

Its funny that the two best "NY" rappers right now are actually from the south!   

Hope y'all aren't sleeping on these cats

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Thank God for J.Cole and Jay Electronica
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 10:51:06 PM »
Yeah, they're both from the South. 

Jay Elec is New Orleans boy who got trained in Detroit and NYC by some of the dopest producers around.

J.Cole is from carolina and moved to NY to craft his work.

What does that say about NYC?

On the real the game is looking great because we got hell of diversity getting publicity which is the only problem with commercial hip-hop (the lack of diversity).
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

teecee

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 11:08:38 PM »
For sure Action, the game is in good hands really.  For some reason these two just have something about them, they seem like they have the potential to be HIPHOP legends....haven't said that about anyone new in a long ass time. 

"What does that say about NYC?"   Well, of course its the mecca of hiphop, but when is the last time a truly great rapper came from NYC?

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 11:33:02 PM »
At one point I would've said Papoose and Saigon.   I actually think Saigon is a great rapper who still could be a legend but for whatever reason his shining opus hasn't seen the light of day - Greatest Story Never Told = :( makes me sad to think about it.

I love Jay Electronica.  Everything he's touched has been golden.  I'm coming around to J. Cole - loved Lights Out & Show Me Somethin'.  The rest of his work is aight.  He needs to take a page from Jay Elec and release less music, craft more focused tunes.  I mean J.Cole's flow is not to be touched with but damn his topic always sound the same.

Edit:
50 was the last huge star from NY that was dope.  Lloyd Banks too.  I think Fif is a legend in his own right.  He changed the game and impacted it greatly.  He's always stuck to his guns and did it his way.  If we consider tri-state area Reks is from the region and so is Budden. 

But yeah, I got love for the south.  They got a hustle and desire to win that's been lacking from the west and east.

I'm a fan of Drake too.  It's the cool thing to hate him on the interweb because of his chart toppers but damn they're dope.  He's good for the game.  I'm just afraid the radio will stop playing that hustling/gangsta shit.  We can't forget the grimey reality of life that's still around.  I hope cats like Hayes work hard, step their game up, and get some love.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 11:38:28 PM by Action! »
- Banks

teecee

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 11:38:31 PM »
At one point I would've said Papoose and Saigon.   I actually think Saigon is a great rapper who still could be a legend but for whatever reason his shining opus hasn't seen the light of day - Greatest Story Never Told = :( makes me sad to think about it.

I love Jay Electronica.  Everything he's touched has been golden.  I'm coming around to J. Cole - loved Lights Out & Show Me Somethin'.  The rest of his work is aight.  He needs to take a page from Jay Elec and release less music, craft more focused tunes.  I mean J.Cole's flow is not to be touched with but damn his topic always sound the same.

I thought Simba from J COle was amazing, but I feel you in a way.  J Cole hasn't put out anything in a while as he's hard at work on his debut and said he isn't gonna drop much before then.

THe fucked up thing about hiphop nowadays is that you have to put out so much shit to even get noticed...by the time Jay Elec or J Cole drop their first album, they will have already put out a lot of the best shit they ever will (Exhibit A/C, lights please) and those songs won't even make the album

the game is fucked up that way right now

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 11:45:03 PM »
No, I agree.  I feel sorry for cats like Bishop Lamont, Stat Quo, & Bobby Creekwater because they released hell of free shit and basically didn't benefit from it.   It's just different time.

At the same time I GOT THEY SHIT.  I'm bumping it.  So I'm glad to have the music.  I'd rather have it on rotation than sitting in some vault. 

if Jay elec dropped as much material as Bishop lamont did, i'm sure he'd be watered down after a while.  same with j.cole.

people love to hate fif & the unit but he flooded the game with quality material but look at the result.  he aint' releasing material as up to par as his past work and people say he sucks. 

i think if you're a smart artist you build that base up with free shit, you reach a level of success where you're happy enough and then you should more or less stop fucking with the mixtape game - don't take it serious.  it preserves your artwork.

Imaginge if Nas or Rakim released as much free shit as some of these artists today.  The game just ain't the same.
- Banks

13th Duke

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 01:09:57 AM »
Jay Electronica is cool....but I can't see him blowing up as an artist in the way I can see J.Cole doing. Cole will be one of the hottest names in rap by the time 2010 is out I'd say...thats if he gets an album out proper of course.

I just think with the weight of his label (its Jigga's new label Roc Nation I think) behind him he'll be pushed to stardom.

stillinrehab

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 07:01:05 PM »
   Exhibit A----when is the last time you heard a beat like that?  its like some mid 90's shit, and Jay got his Nas on

Lights Please- J.Cole

I don't know about you, but these joints are beyond classic to me...everyone be on Jay Elec now cuz of this new joint to...

Exhibit C-    

Not sleepin at all PREACH! 8)

teecee

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 10:23:11 PM »

Lights Please- J.Cole

Exhibit C-    

Dope man.   Maybe it just seems like peeps are sleepin...I can't see how and hiphop head could hear these joints and not be down but this thread pretty much went unnoticed as I suspected

kevin t

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 03:55:53 AM »

Lights Please- J.Cole

Exhibit C-    

Dope man.   Maybe it just seems like peeps are sleepin...I can't see how and hiphop head could hear these joints and not be down but this thread pretty much went unnoticed as I suspected

yeah more people should be hearing stuff from jay, he's crazy
i know there's not much info floating around but anyone got any idea if he has a album in the works? is dear moleskine an album track? i love that one
and blaze is killing those beats

Uploaded with ImageShack.us