Author Topic: Conscious Hip Hop  (Read 469 times)

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Conscious Hip Hop
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2010, 09:27:43 AM »
I hate you mutherfuckas that keep telling other people what is and isn't hip-hop.  Go suck a dick an die. 
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

Bananas

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2010, 03:55:11 AM »
I hate you mutherfuckas that keep telling other people what is and isn't hip-hop.  Go suck a dick an die. 

exactly

StreetsAllSalute

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2010, 08:45:08 AM »
how the fuck is 'casualties of a dice game' a conscious track  ???

Priest

• 'G'
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2010, 02:38:41 AM »
If ya'll cats want to get on point with some conscious hip hop artists, then you should check out Jasiri X, and NYOIL

Paul

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2010, 04:42:46 AM »

+1
funkyfreshintheflesh

MediumL

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2010, 06:04:10 AM »
Conscious hip hop can be made by any rapper. I personally feel that people like Wayne not addressing issues true to the hometown (like how many times has Wayne properly covered Katrina affecting New Orleans?) is bad for hip hop though. I don't think there's a problem with artists making club songs but to have albums/songs consistently about money/girls/how good you are = a lack of originality.

One of the things that is making hip hop BORING to me is that there's no competition. How can people like Wayne go around calling themselves the GOAT yet nobody challenge him. Would Wayne really put out Rebirth if Jay Z had just dropped a Takeover towards him? Rick Ross released an album that didn't overly bend towards the mainstream cause he was under pressure from beef with 50.

Look at the tracks produced from when Jay and Nas were beefing and then compare the trakcs they've made together/ the music they've made since.

I'm not saying something where rappers are taking it to the streets but competition forces people to step up in terms of music
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454</a>

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2010, 04:22:02 AM »
Conscious hip hop can be made by any rapper. I personally feel that people like Wayne not addressing issues true to the hometown (like how many times has Wayne properly covered Katrina affecting New Orleans?) is bad for hip hop though. I don't think there's a problem with artists making club songs but to have albums/songs consistently about money/girls/how good you are = a lack of originality.

One of the things that is making hip hop BORING to me is that there's no competition. How can people like Wayne go around calling themselves the GOAT yet nobody challenge him. Would Wayne really put out Rebirth if Jay Z had just dropped a Takeover towards him? Rick Ross released an album that didn't overly bend towards the mainstream cause he was under pressure from beef with 50.

Look at the tracks produced from when Jay and Nas were beefing and then compare the trakcs they've made together/ the music they've made since.

I'm not saying something where rappers are taking it to the streets but competition forces people to step up in terms of music

Definitely, listen to Nas explain how competitive the King of New York title on "Last Real Nigga Alive" off his God's Son album.  Shit was really competitive back in the day.  From the 80's to 2003 when Nas dropped this album, hip-hop still had a pulse, because nicca's like Nas were willing to challenge others for the top spot. 

But like you said, once Wayne came out and start claiming himself to be the best rapper in the world, and he became the #1 artist nobody really challenged him on that level.  That is why hip-hop is dead right now.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2010, 07:03:12 AM »
Y'all easies the dumbest mutherfuckas I've read talking about hip-hop is dead because of lil wayne.
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

MediumL

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2010, 07:36:18 AM »
Im not saying hip hops dead but I'm saying its boring atm. How many albums honestly can you say you thought were 5/5s from the last two years? All I'm saying is that part of hip hop (battling) needs to be resurrected to keep people on their toes.

People say check this rapper or that rapper but a lot of them are rebores or have nothing original about them. I'm not saying that nobody can do gangster rap but at least come with a story of your own and something about your hometown. Everyone's lyrics feel like they could be said by the next man.

But let's also point out just cause someone raps over something does that make it hip hop? Or is it down to beat speed or sound? Cause if hip hop is something as broad as people rapping then it will never die but if it's a certain sound like Soul was or Jazz then it could die/lose popularity.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454</a>

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2010, 08:25:46 AM »
Y'all easies the dumbest mutherfuckas I've read talking about hip-hop is dead because of lil wayne.

I don't think anyone said that hip-hop was dead because of Lil Wayne.  We actually weren't blaming Lil Wayne (although he does deserve a lot of blame, but that's another subject) we were blaming other rappers, even rappers I love like Nas or Eminem for not calling him out and challenging him for saying he's #1.

the ghost

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2010, 03:43:44 PM »

Real pioneers in hip hop made schoolbook nursery rhymes for people to dance to at night clubs. There weren;t any Immortal Technique or Dead Prez acts at the the beginning of hip hop. FACT. People who say hip hop is dead are full of shit. Hip hop is going back to it's roots more and more every day, deal with it nerds.

This is as true as it gets.  Nice point.

midwestryder

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2010, 04:26:41 PM »
Stop it Lyin' Brian, you don't listen to any southern rap you have no idea what they are saying, nor could you understand an insightful line even if you heard it loud and clear because you need it to be spelled out in language you can understand, which automatically disqualifies most black people.

Real pioneers in hip hop made schoolbook nursery rhymes for people to dance to at night clubs. There weren;t any Immortal Technique or Dead Prez acts at the the beginning of hip hop. FACT. People who say hip hop is dead are full of shit. Hip hop is going back to it's roots more and more every day, deal with it nerds.

The term "conscious" is a double edged sword as it gives more credit due to rappers who spend almost all of their subject matter dealing with social issues (often incorrectly), and dismissing other rappers who don't as "everybody else", whereas those "other rappers" might be saying some real shit, just with more profanity and over a crunk beat. UGK or Goodie Mob for instance, detail life so incredibly and relate to the average man that if you feel what they are saying, they are most definitely "conscious" of real life in their rhymes.

you are not  100% right with Real pioneers in hip hop made schoolbook nursery rhymes for people to dance to at night clubs. because Real pioneers in hip hop made music for house parties not clubs . also there was conscious rappers like grand master flash & f5. then rakim showed up & changed hip hop & improve it & from then on you had be to lyrical as rakim to be good..hip hop was never about clubs in early & mid 90's at all. it was being lyrical  & being conscious. that is why the golden era op hip hop was from 1989 to 1996

the ghost

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2010, 04:34:53 PM »
Sure tell that to M.C. Hammer.

Bananas

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2010, 04:42:45 PM »
Stop it Lyin' Brian, you don't listen to any southern rap you have no idea what they are saying, nor could you understand an insightful line even if you heard it loud and clear because you need it to be spelled out in language you can understand, which automatically disqualifies most black people.

The term "conscious" is a double edged sword as it gives more credit due to rappers who spend almost all of their subject matter dealing with social issues (often incorrectly), and dismissing other rappers who don't as "everybody else", whereas those "other rappers" might be saying some real shit, just with more profanity and over a crunk beat. UGK or Goodie Mob for instance, detail life so incredibly and relate to the average man that if you feel what they are saying, they are most definitely "conscious" of real life in their rhymes.

you are not  100% right with Real pioneers in hip hop made schoolbook nursery rhymes for people to dance to at night clubs. because Real pioneers in hip hop made music for house parties not clubs . also there was conscious rappers like grand master flash & f5. then rakim showed up & changed hip hop & improve it & from then on you had be to lyrical as rakim to be good..hip hop was never about clubs in early & mid 90's at all. it was being lyrical  & being conscious. that is why the golden era op hip hop was from 1989 to 1996

Hip hop started in the seventies. And it was not amazingly lyrical or socially conscious.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2010, 08:30:10 PM »

Hip hop started in the seventies. And it was not amazingly lyrical or socially conscious.

Some of the lyrics weren't that consious (although some were "The Message" style lyrics).  Either way, the culture of hip-hop itself was conscious back in the day.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 08:31:49 PM by Infinite... Be and It Is »