Author Topic: Interview: High Times with the Nappy Roots (Weed Related Interview)  (Read 52 times)

Lunatic

Justin Melo stopped in with Nappy Roots during the making of their upcoming album, “Pursuit of Nappyness” for a small chronic break…

I want to talk about the high times with Nappy Roots, so are you a weed head yourself? If so, what’s your favorite strand?

Skinny Deville: I’m about to smoke right now as we speak. I just opened my garage because I didn’t want to fill up my garage with smoke. What do I smoke? I like the Fruity Loops. I like the Bubba Kush and Purple Haze. Right now, I’m about to hit some of this Granddaddy Purp. It’s my last bud and it’s only Monday.

I normally wake and bake around 10am and I’m on it again around 2pm, after I get my afternoon meetings and lunch out the way. I get back on it around 6pm, before or after dinner and finally, I hit it again around mid-night to get my nightcap.  

I know… I’m a weed head, but fuck it… I’ve been smoking since college. I’m going to tell you a quick story about myself. I was drug free all the way up to my sophomore year in college. It wasn’t until I flunked out of college that I started smoking weed. I started smoking weed and went back to school where I maintained a 2.5 my entire five years of college. I smoked before class and took great notes as I sat in the front row. I always smoked before the tests and smoked while I studied for tests. I never made a D or F; I got a couple C’s, but I was always an average guy. I did maintain a 2.5 in whatever I did. I didn’t want to do too much to be below the radar but not too much to be above the radar either. I’ve been smoking since 1995.

Justin Melo: Weed actually helped you get back into college and pass your courses?

Skinny Deville: (Laughs) I could probably run for president on that shit. Nah, I think weed is a great thing. A lot of people say weed is bad and a gateway drug. It’s only a gateway drug if you fall victim to peer pressure and a bunch of other dumb shit. Smoking weed will lead to other things called munchies, but I can’t think of nothing else that weed will do to you.

I’m not saying you can’t die while operating heavy machinery smoking weed because shit happens. But you don’t really see people dying on a daily basis from weed, like you see people that drink liquor or smoke cigarettes. I don’t jump out of planes, or do anything dangerous. I’m not going to die doing any dumb shit hopefully. If I just sit on my couch smoking weed, I should live a pretty long and healthy life.

Justin Melo: (Laughs). Your definitely right – you do see a lot more alcohol and tobacco related deaths than you do with weed.

Skinny Deville: Every day. People die every day from tobacco and liquor and that shit is legal. But weed is illegal? I don’t understand it. Marijuana is actually medicinal in some states. That shit is great for people who have cancer, arthritis, eating disorders and people that are terminally ill – that shit helps.

Justin Melo: You’re right about that. You guys have been all over the globe with a lot of hit records. What country had the best weed?

Skinny Deville: I would say Canada. Off top, I’m going to say Canada. We didn’t smoke weed in Iraq or Kuwait. I hit some shit in Germany, but I don’t remember too much about it because there was too much going on around me. London had some good shit, but I had a panic attack in London.

Justin Melo: What happened there?

Skinny Deville: I was fucking around with William Orbit, doing a record with him. He put some shit into a pipe. It was weed, but my heart started beating fast and my ears started ringing. I had to sit down; I couldn’t even finish my verse. I was like man, fuck this. I went in about two hours later and got right back on it (laughs).

Justin Melo: That’s hilarious. I’m from Canada, Toronto to be exact.

Skinny Deville: Word? I didn’t know that. Toronto, that’s where I hit the weed at, y’all, got some good shit.

Justin Melo: With you guys being so outspoken on weed, has anyone from Nappy Roots ever had legal trouble stemming from an incident with marijuana?  

Skinny Deville: Of course. We have all had our run-ins with Johnny Law over Ms. Mary… but hey, it comes with the territory I guess.  The shit is still illegal.  

Justin Melo: Rolling Stone Magazine once dubbed you as “the philosopher of the group and a plotter who is always thinking ten steps ahead.” That’s a direct quote from Rolling Stone. What do you think about it?

Skinny Deville: (Laughs) I would say some of that is true. I have a lot on my mind. I’m always thinking of something thanks to Ms. Mary. I think everybody is always thinking of something though. I don’t know if your brain always works, but mine is constantly ticking and thinking. That’s a good thing. It’s like little mind exercises. I believe we should all plan for the future with 1, 5, & 10-year goals and daily expectations.

Justin Melo: Last words on our smoke-out?  
Skinny Deville: Follow us on www.twitter.com/nappyroots. We have an official Nappy Roots fan page on Facebook, keep up with us at www.nappyroots.com and www.myspace.com/nappyrootsmusic...
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com