Author Topic: Paul Wall Interview  (Read 52 times)

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
Paul Wall Interview
« on: March 05, 2010, 07:29:42 AM »
http://www.illuminati2g.com/paulwallinterview.htm

I2G chilled with one of Houston's best, Paul Wall for a exclusive interview. We talk about his upcoming album, how it feels to be back working with his longtime friend Chamillionaire, his business ventures and much more so check it out.

Illuminati 2G is here with Paul Wall how's it going?

Ay what it do man, how you doin?

Good. Let's get right into it. You have a new album entitled Heart Of A Champion. Tell me a little bit about the album.

Like you said the title of the album is Heart Of A Champion, and basically it is motivation music for people to go out there and get it. Production wise on the album, I got my boy Travis Barker, who did a majority of the production, and Beans N Cornbread did most of the rest of the beats. They are out of Houston, TX and I have worked with them in the past on alot of my other albums. The lead single of the album is called I'm On Patron produced by Beans N Cornbread.

It is a party song,  just partying with the homies and having a good time. Features on the album we have Devin The Dude, Jim Jones, Slim Thug, Z-Ro, Lil Keke, and we got a few tricks up our sleeves too. Me and my boy Chamillionaire have a new song on my album called Round Here that I am real excited about.

You have recorded so many albums independently and on majors. How was the recording process for this album? What was your mindstate?

Nah pretty much when I start working on a new album, I normally start off doing songs for other people. Whether it is doing freestyles for DJs or doing guest appearances on other albums, that gets me in the zone. Then I try to go to the studio pretty much everyday or as much as I can. That way you can get the consistency and get the vibe going. It is just a matter of being around good, motivated people, getting in with the producers and start going through the beats or start the song process from scratch with them.

Usually I like to vibe off of the producers. That is pretty much why I made the album with Beans N Cornbread and Travis Barker because they both had that good vibe and they make great music.

How would you say sound wise this album is going to differ from your last album, Fast Life?

I would say it is on the same vibe as Fast Life. Real laid back but at the same time it is very musical. There are a couple samples but there is alot of live instruments.

You had mentioned earlier you have done a song with Chamillionaire entitled Round Here on the album. What was it like getting back in the studio with him and is there a chance that the two of you will work on any more music in the future?

Yeah I definitely think that we will work on more music in the future. I look forward to that. It is alot of fun working with him. I grew up with him, so I know him very well. After we had our little differences and our beef, getting back in the studio with him is a little different because so much time as passed. Musically it is different because of that, but personalities we are very much the same.

What are your thoughts on the hip hop scene in Houston, Texas?

I love where the music scene is at. There are alot of up and coming artists but alot of times people do not want to be patient and make a way in the indie game. They want to go straight to the major leagues and do not want to work they way up in the minors. I wish more artists would put out music independently. Because it seems like our underground scene is missing in action, mainly because all of the underground artists when I was coming up are now signed to majors.

But alot of artists are going back to their roots, like Slim Thug, and myself. We have major distribution in terms of marketing and everything.

Is there any other places in Texas that resemble Houston that are coming up in the game? I know Dallas is doing they thing. What would you say is the next place to blow up?

There is definintely alot of talent in Dallas and I am happy to see Dallas doing it big. They always show Texas love across the board, Houston always got alot of love in Dallas and I am really happy to see them get they shine on. There are alot of really good producers and rappers in San Antonio and also in Austin. So I am looking forward to them getting their shine as well.

Tell me a little bit about the other business ventures that you have. I know you have been selling grillz and you are a part of the group Expensive Taste with Skinhead Rob and Travis Barker.

Expensive Taste like you said is our group and we also have a clothing line for it. Our website for that is www.expensivetaste.net, it has been doing real big for us, we just came back from the Magic Convention in Vegas. Like you said me and Johnny got the grillz and a watch collection and a whole black diamond collection as well. My website for that is www.grillzbypaulwall.com.

If you could best describe the style of your clothing line, how would you describe it?

It is definitely street wear. It is t-shirts, jeans, hats and hoodies. It is very edgy and dark and it is not something that you would let your kid wear to school. It is not something that you are going to see in a Wal-Mart but it is something that you will see in alot of boutiques. But people can go on the website and pick it up. That has all the stores listings where our clothes are being sold at.

Do you have any upcoming shows or tour dates?

Yeah me and Chamillionaire are getting ready to go on tour. Paul Wall, Chamillionaire, In Love With My Money tour. We start in Austin on March 17th and from there we go to the midwest and the west coast and finish it off back in Texas. We are still confirming dates for it and so far we have about 20 to 25 dates already but each day we are adding more cities so we might end up with 40 or 50 shows.

What is your website information?

www.twitter.com/paulwallbaby.

Alright well that is all the questions that I have for you, appreciate you getting down for the interview. Is there any last words or shoutouts you want to get out there to the people?

Yeah much love to everyone that has been down with me and supporting me and Swishahouse, supporting this good music. Look out for my album, Heart Of A Champion coming out this summer.