Author Topic: Baseball Considering Realignment Plan  (Read 249 times)

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Baseball Considering Realignment Plan
« on: March 11, 2010, 01:37:06 PM »
When baseball commissioner Bud Selig named a 14-person "special committee for on-field matters" four months ago, he promised that all topics would be in play and "there are no sacred cows." The committee already has made good on Selig's promise by discussing a radical form of "floating" realignment in which teams would not be fixed to a division, but free to change divisions from year-to-year based on geography, payroll and their plans to contend or not.

The concept gained strong support among committee members, many of whom believe there are non-economic avenues that should be explored to improve competitive balance, similar to the NFL's former use of scheduling to help parity (in which weaker teams were awarded a weaker schedule the next season).

As with most issues of competitive balance, floating realignment involves finding a work-around to the Boston-New York axis of power in the AL East. In the 15 seasons during which the wild-card system has been in use, the Red Sox and Yankees have accounted for 38 percent of all AL postseason berths. The league has never conducted playoffs without the Red Sox or Yankees since that format began -- and in eight of those 15 years both teams made the playoffs. Since 2003 the Sox and Yankees have won at least 95 games 11 times in 14 combined seasons.

One example of floating realignment, according to one insider, would work this way: Cleveland, which is rebuilding with a reduced payroll, could opt to leave the AL Central to play in the AL East. The Indians would benefit from an unbalanced schedule that would give them a total of 18 lucrative home dates against the Yankees and Red Sox instead of their current eight. A small or mid-market contender, such as Tampa Bay or Baltimore, could move to the AL Central to get a better crack at postseason play instead of continually fighting against the mega-payrolls of New York and Boston.

Divisions still would loosely follow geographic lines; no team would join a division more than two time zones outside its own, largely to protect local television rights (i.e., start times of games) and travel costs.

Floating realignment also could mean changing the number of teams in a division, teams changing leagues and interleague games throughout the season, according to several sources familiar with the committee's discussions. It is important to remember that the committee's talks are very preliminary and non-binding.

"But if there is something that comes up we feel should be addressed during the season, we can make a recommendation then," said committee co-chair and Braves president John Schuerholz, referring to less complicated issues such as pace-of-game directives. "This is all about any ideas that help make the game better."

The floating realignment idea is nothing more than a concept at this point, part of the brainstorming sessions that have occurred in the committee's one in-person meeting and occasional conference calls. (Selig is pushing for another in-person meeting, such as at the All-Star Game. The committee includes current managers and executives, making in-person meetings logistically difficult.) The mechanics of the system are far from nailed down. But what is important is that the committee is making good on its mission to look at absolutely any on-field idea that could make the game better. Blowing up fixed divisions as we know them -- and even leagues -- certainly qualifies as radical thinking.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/tom_verducci/03/09/floating-realignment/#ixzz0huDBKrEk

Don't know if I like this idea, but I would like the Jays to get the hell out of their division.

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Baseball Considering Realignment Plan
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 01:47:02 PM »
I always wanted to see the top 4 teams in each league go to the playoffs, and not have teams face their own division the most. 

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 04:57:29 PM »
that's retarded lol.

teams just need to get good lol.

i hope the Redsox just leave the AL East & win the Central every year & we don't have to play them as much, only ensuring a playoff berth lol.

but, there has to be some rule about a certain number of teams going to the league; you mean to tell me that the Rays, Jays & Sox leave the East & the AL East will have two teams & the Central will have eight or nine (& that's if the West doesn't decide to go the Central).

seems like a retarded idea for borderline playoff teams to make it in.

J.D. Wykid, Esq.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Id rather be rich n unhappy than poor n miserable
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 05:00:53 PM »
sounds like a big failure in the making. 

'Oh I can't see him, I can't see God', YA'LL CAN'T SEE FUCKIN' AIR NEITHER!
Quote from: QuietTruth
Prove to me the wind. Show me the wind man. I want proof of that shit. Cuz I don't see it.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 05:05:29 PM »
sounds like a big Elanoure in the making. 

lmfao.

at least for you & me it won't be that bad; i can't see any teams going to the AL East or the NL West that would challenge us for the division.

J.D. Wykid, Esq.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Id rather be rich n unhappy than poor n miserable
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 05:08:21 PM »
would the powerhouse teams be able to move into a weak division and dominate like nothing before?  or would only the weak teams be allowed to move?

this all sounds a bit too much.......wouldnt it be easier to introduce a salary cap?  that would certainly even some shit out. 

'Oh I can't see him, I can't see God', YA'LL CAN'T SEE FUCKIN' AIR NEITHER!
Quote from: QuietTruth
Prove to me the wind. Show me the wind man. I want proof of that shit. Cuz I don't see it.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 05:24:57 PM »
would the powerhouse teams be able to move into a weak division and dominate like nothing before?  or would only the weak teams be allowed to move?

this all sounds a bit too much.......wouldnt it be easier to introduce a salary cap?  that would certainly even some shit out. 

anything is better than adding a salary cap. ;)

but who for example would dominate moving to another division, besides maybe the Redsox or Yankees going to the Central, which they would never do.

it seems like it's designed for weaker teams, like the Orioles, to get out of the way of the Yankees/Redsox reign; but there def. can't be a rule on a certain team moving, if one team can do it, anybody can do it.

thisoneguy360

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 05:29:13 PM »
What a shitty idea.

The Come Up Shuffle

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 04:02:43 PM »
that's retarded lol.

i hope the Redsox just leave the AL East & win the Central every year & we don't have to play them as much, only ensuring a playoff berth lol.

What type of Baseball fan are you ?  You're not even a Yanks fan because no real Yanks fan would say that  You want to end one of the greatest if not the greatest rivalry in North American sports.  Jesus fucking christ you're a fucking joke.  Really you shouldn't be allowed to watch Baseball.

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 04:14:54 PM »
I don't like this idea here but the current system sure isn't fair to every team. 
The Pirates have to have better records than 5 other teams to win their division and the Rangers only have to be better than 3.  And it's even harder for the NL Central team to win the wild card too since the National League has two more teams than the A.L. 
Don't know if there is a perfect system but this sure isn't it. 

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 04:40:20 PM »
that's retarded lol.

What type of Baseball fan are you ?  You're not even a Yanks fan because no real Yanks fan would say that  You want to end one of the greatest if not the greatest rivalry in North American sports.  Jesus fucking christ you're a fucking joke.  Really you shouldn't be allowed to watch Baseball.

it's actually the greatest rivalry in sports; worldwide.

you make it seem like they would NEVER play each other; they would, Mr. Big-Time Baseball Genius; just not 18 times a year.

& i only say it because it would be an easier road to the playoffs, i don't know what team you root for, but it's probably a team that doesn't see the post-season, so you just wouldn't get it.

so in the end, we're likely to meet in the ALCS anyway, because we're two of the best teams in baseball & play each other less in the regular season.

less games = better rivalry; imagine the Lakers & Celtics played 10 games against each other in the regular season, how would that look? it would just take away from the rivalry and intensity of thw two (?) games they play.

you have some EXCELLENT logic, pal; please, just keep preaching. ::)

The Come Up Shuffle

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 05:13:53 PM »
that's retarded lol.

it's actually the greatest rivalry in sports; worldwide.

you make it seem like they would NEVER play each other; they would, Mr. Big-Time Baseball Genius; just not 18 times a year.

& i only say it because it would be an easier road to the playoffs, i don't know what team you root for, but it's probably a team that doesn't see the post-season, so you just wouldn't get it.

so in the end, we're likely to meet in the ALCS anyway, because we're two of the best teams in baseball & play each other less in the regular season.

less games = better rivalry; imagine the Lakers & Celtics played 10 games against each other in the regular season, how would that look? it would just take away from the rivalry and intensity of thw two (?) games they play.

you have some EXCELLENT logic, pal; please, just keep preaching. ::)

The fact that they have been competing for the League Championship up until 1969 and from there on the division championship for the better part of a 100 years is what makes the rivalry so great you fucking moron.  And you act like they would meet in the playoffs every year.  Since both teams have been dominate in the mid 90's they have met in the playoffs three fucking times.  You would hurt one of the greatest rivalries in sports.  But you want that so you can have an easier road to the playoffs.  What kind of fucking fan are you ?  Jesus if you said this shit to other Yankee fans 9/10 of them would laugh in your damn face for being a fucking moron and pussy.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 05:48:11 PM »
^actually i'm sure they wouldn't mind.

i mean, i guess the most logical thing to do WOULD be to let you speak for 90% of the Yankees fanbase; you CLEARLY know what MILLIONS of people think. :D

this MUST be Tommy; only you would ride my cock this hard because i want to win & you just need the excitment for the disappointment the Metropolitains provide for you lmfao.

i'll politely ask you to remove my scrotum from your mouth area & go eat some New Park Pizza.

The Come Up Shuffle

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 05:55:28 PM »

i mean, i guess the most logical thing to do WOULD be to let you speak for 90% of the Yankees fanbase; you CLEARLY know what MILLIONS of people think. :D

this MUST be Tommy; only you would ride my cock this hard because i want to win & you just need the excitment for the disappointment the Metropolitains provide for you lmfao.

i'll politely ask you to remove my scrotum from your mouth area & go eat some New Park Pizza.

You make no sense.  And no one is riding your dick, you're just being called out for being a fucking moron.  How about this Cham you go on a Yankee message board and make your retarded little point and lets see if you get laughed at.  Go ahead and do that cham.  If you prove me wrong I'll change my name to Tom loves the Yankees and make my profile pro Yankee for the entire season.  But if you make your retarded little point you also have to mention how the rivalry was built on the division race and how they only have met in the playoffs 3 times instead of your usual bullshit blanket statements.  Because I loved how you completely ignore the point of what makes the rivalry so great and how they have only met 3 times in the playoffs since the inception of the wild card.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2010, 06:13:07 PM »

You make no sense.  And no one is riding your dick, you're just being called out for being a fucking moron.  How about this Cham you go on a Yankee message board and make your retarded little point and lets see if you get laughed at.  Go ahead and do that cham.  If you prove me wrong I'll change my name to Tom loves the Yankees and make my profile pro Yankee for the entire season.  But if you make your retarded little point you also have to mention how the rivalry was built on the division race and how they only have met in the playoffs 3 times instead of your usual bullshit blanket statements.  Because I loved how you completely ignore the point of what makes the rivalry so great and how they have only met 3 times in the playoffs since the inception of the wild card.

1. if a Yankees message board is filled with baseball GENIUSES, like yourself, i wouldn't bother wasting my time.
2. unless you're paid to give out professional opinions, i could give a FLLLLUCK less on what you have to say; let alone a biased one lmfao.
3. i'm clearly trying to win, i don't know what they teach you over at Citi, but i play/watch for the win; if that would ruin a rivalry you are not even part of, i apoligize, i suppose, but again for almost a decade they both have made the playoffs & came close to making the ALCS to see each other.

& the two times they did meet in '03 & '04, it was two of the best series ever, even though i was at the EXTREME embaressement end of one.

when are you going to get it, champ? everything i've ever said has been rejected by you on the spot.

MAYBE i've said some outlandish, "not going by the good book" things, but EVERYTHING i've said? i made the point before, i could literally say "Barack Obama is the President of the United States of America & you'd find something to jump on.

hop off the shaft. ;)