Author Topic: Nas Nigger Album... been almost 2 yrs, what ya'll think in retrospect?  (Read 1043 times)

Sikotic™

Re: Nas Nigger Album... been almost 2 yrs, what ya'll think in retrospect?
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2010, 10:39:17 PM »
Personally, I think Street's Disciple was his weakest effort in a long time, even considering it was a double album.

Gotta admit though, the good tracks were some of his best from that album. Better than most of his better tracks off Untitled. I guess you could say Street's Disciple brought the best and worst outta Nas.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2010, 03:16:23 AM »
I also think Street Disciple is hist best album post Stillmatic. If only he would've cut it 1 disk short.

BlueSwan

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2010, 07:19:43 AM »
Great album, like all Nas albums except Nastradamus which sucked.

you gon always be my latin queen bitch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2010, 11:16:33 AM »
damn interestin to see people like sd vs gods son
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:15 AM By: Ice Cube
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube
gbee:@ Petey: you sound like a broken record, time to grow up.

RedMagic213

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2010, 02:36:31 AM »
not Nas's best at all...I only Like Hero..the rest was boring. Stillmatic and Gods Son shits all over this

late night

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2010, 03:36:27 PM »
nastrodomus was definitely the wackest of all his albums.

lost tapes had some classic tracks.

virtuoso

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2010, 04:28:41 PM »

It was pretty good in parts, I liked half of the songs, I just find the beats from the likes of Testify, You Can't Stop Us Now etc very bland. I know I am definitely in the minority in that respect but also I don't think the lyrics were half as intelligent as people give him credit for.

Above all else, regardless of what topics he covers, his rhymes lack the sharpness and focus they once had. So I think this album is given more credit just simply because for some reason people have seen him as some kind of maverick.

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2010, 06:19:51 PM »
I don't think the lyrics were half as intelligent as people give him credit for.

Above all else, regardless of what topics he covers, his rhymes lack the sharpness and focus they once had. So I think this album is given more credit just simply because for some reason people have seen him as some kind of maverick.

I agree with both sentiments but still stand that nas at his worst is still better than most. 
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2010, 09:27:02 PM »

It was pretty good in parts, I liked half of the songs, I just find the beats from the likes of Testify, You Can't Stop Us Now etc very bland. I know I am definitely in the minority in that respect but also I don't think the lyrics were half as intelligent as people give him credit for.

Nas is speaking about shit that no one else is.  The last person to do that was Pimp C.

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2010, 09:28:22 PM »
Listened to it again today after not hearing it for a while.  There were 3 joints I never stopped listening to, "Breathe", "We Make The World Go Round", and "Hero"...

Those are my 3 least favorite songs on the album  ;D

The first 5 tracks on the albums are all dope, and then the album just fades into obscurity after that.  

nigga you crazy. Untitled, NIGGER, Black President, Sly Fox, Fried Chicken, etc.....take out the 2 singles and I'd consider it one of the best concept records I've heard.

word

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2010, 09:32:19 PM »
It's a dope album.  It's one of those albums I'd love to hear the complete recording sessions because the final product has clearly been tampered with by the label.  Testify is easily one of my favorite songs.  He's pretty ballsy calling out his white fan base. 

No doubt, the 2 joints the label forced stick out like a sore fucking thumb.  And he specifically spoke on that...basically saying "look they censor me and what I say and force their shit on me artistically, and I'm one of the GOAT'S.  What do you think they are doing to these young kids who have no clout?"

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2010, 09:37:59 PM »
Nas now >> Nas on illmatic. A classic record it was and his best, but Nas then didn't have half the diversity in his lyrics he has now. And his rhymes were scattered as fuck.

Sikotic™

« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2010, 10:39:53 PM »
Nas now >> Nas on illmatic. A classic record it was and his best, but Nas then didn't have half the diversity in his lyrics he has now. And his rhymes were scattered as fuck.
THANK YOU! I have felt that way for years. I couldn't agree with you more on that statement.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

13th Duke

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2010, 07:29:26 PM »
It was an average album. Like a 6/10 album. It was a marked improvement on HHID at the time which was something I was grateful for, but nowhere near the level of quality Nas has put out before and has the potential to put out again.

I honestly don't see why Nas doesnt just release an album with the producers who helped make him such a legend again (Large Professor, DJ Premier & Pete Rock). Even today if he released an album comprised of the same producers he had on Illmatic 15-20 years on he'd be able to get a much more rounded, personal and consistent LP than what he gets from trying to catch a trend.

The Overfiend

« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2010, 09:21:22 PM »
I liked just about every song on this album. illmatic, stillmatic, it was written and Nigger are my favourite Nas albums. One of his strongest releases IMO.

I saw Nas before last year in December, 2009. He mostly did tracks off those 3 albums.