Author Topic: is UFC in need of an update?  (Read 186 times)

bez

is UFC in need of an update?
« on: May 11, 2010, 07:18:28 PM »
I mean I've been watching this 'sport' for a few years now and I don't actually think I've ever seen anything change. From the the way the program is broadcast in terms of direction and camera work, to how the ring itself is presented, to how the fighters are introduced and led to the ring. I mean I just find the whole process boring and dated now. I think they desperatly need to spruce up in terms of creativity and entertainment if they want to carry on becoming successful. Dana obviously has his head on his shoulders and he's a smart dude but I can see UFC already becoming how wrestling is now. WWE when it went through the RAW era was amazing but now wrestling is lifeless and characterless. I can see UFC becoming like this sooner rather than later. I know Dana wants to be taken seriously and UFC to be up there with boxing but boxing has entertainment all the time. Entrances, shit talking, fighers actually wanting to get at each other at press conferences, etc. UFC to me is becoming played. Even for a champions entrance all they seem to do is dim the lights. That's not good enough for me. I want to see a champion being a champion and being treated like a champion. What you think? And before you jump to conclusions I'm not just talking about pyrotechnics here, I'm talking about everything. Every fight build up is the same. During the fight, its the same, after the fight... You get were I'm coming from.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
Re: is UFC in need of an update?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 07:22:15 PM »
I agree completely, but until it starts to show signs of being broke, don't fix it. Eventually it'll get stale. Everything does. And eventually they'll a new style, but until the buyrates start dropping I'd run with what's working. Otherwise they could jump the shark and screw it all up.

UKnowWhatItIs: welcome to my traps....game over

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 12:25:43 PM »
1)UFC isn't a sport, it's a federation
2)There was never a "RAW" era, RAW is the name of their monday night show & the name of the era you was looking for is called the attitude era
Anyways I like it the way it is, I don't think it needs any changes, atleast not now.

Sikotic™

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 01:13:44 PM »
I don't see why they would change anything when their business is better than ever. They make more PPV revenue than boxing or anything else at the moment.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 05:57:26 PM »
I don't see why they would change anything when their business is better than ever. They make more PPV revenue than boxing or anything else at the moment.

I guess you could use the same logic that the NFL uses to change things every so often and keep moving with the times. The announcers change, the networks change, the lay out of the scoreboard and timer on TV changes, the rules change and things stay strong.

But MMA and UFC are new to the fans. The NFL was well established for years, so it's safer to asume the fans that don't like the changes won't leave.

the ghost

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 12:57:31 PM »
They need to get rid of like 12 different fighting companies and UFC needs to pay better to attract some of the great fighters from the fighting companies that remain.  There just aren't enough distinct personalities that can compete for so many different companies.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 01:30:08 PM »
They need to get rid of like 12 different fighting companies and UFC needs to pay better to attract some of the great fighters from the fighting companies that remain.  There just aren't enough distinct personalities that can compete for so many different companies.

See right now the UFC brand is what sells PPVs. Once you start seeing other companies using stars from other promotions and having their buyrates go up then promoters in the boxing world will start selling fights based on fighters and fighters in general will refuse to sign exclusive UFC contracts.

So basically, the UFC will only stay strong as it is if MMA never gets so big the fighters start getting bigger than the brand, because once the fighters get bigger than the company and other companies have different big name stars and neither company will allow their fighter to cross-promote, then the Don King's and Bob Arum's will say "you wanna make some real money?"