Author Topic: EP/LP discussion  (Read 527 times)

Triple OG Rapsodie

EP/LP discussion
« on: May 16, 2010, 01:14:16 AM »
i'll bring this thread back up in a month & i want you guys to honestly tell me if you're still listening to this.

Be honest, are you still listening to Pig Face Weapon Waist?

i haven't even heard that entire EP. :sshh:

you guys need a life; just because Nas is the Golden Boy & can't go wrong & they put together an album with a different sound, doesn't make it automatic sex on a plate.

i'm not saying you can't like it, i'm not trying to call it trash either, but i'll be impressed if you guys are still bumping it by the end of the month & haven't moved on to something else.

Elano, son. you've been banned seventeen times for having a retarded opinion on things & this website is your morning, afternoon & night; it's time to just admit that your nickname of "fail" is more than just a joke, it's a true reality of your life.

close minded ass people on this board; a brotha can't even express his opinion; smh. :grumpy:

??? how is crooked i in your top 10 and you haven't even listened to his debut months after it was released?

In what way is pigface his debut?its not an lp and not even his first ep ???

Anyway album is dope,Im a damian marley fan,welcome to jamrock was a solid album.

EPs are albums are they not? Isn't Ren's Kiss my Black Azz his debut album? No need to make an exception for Crooked.

Speaking of being off topic, since when do all the threads stay on topic? Is this one of those new rules?

Jaydc

EP/LP discussion
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 01:56:11 AM »
i'll bring this thread back up in a month & i want you guys to honestly tell me if you're still listening to this.

you guys need a life; just because Nas is the Golden Boy & can't go wrong & they put together an album with a different sound, doesn't make it automatic sex on a plate.

i'm not saying you can't like it, i'm not trying to call it trash either, but i'll be impressed if you guys are still bumping it by the end of the month & haven't moved on to something else.

Elano, son. you've been banned seventeen times for having a retarded opinion on things & this website is your morning, afternoon & night; it's time to just admit that your nickname of "fail" is more than just a joke, it's a true reality of your life.

close minded ass people on this board; a brotha can't even express his opinion; smh. :grumpy:

??? how is crooked i in your top 10 and you haven't even listened to his debut months after it was released?

Anyway album is dope,Im a damian marley fan,welcome to jamrock was a solid album.

EPs are albums are they not? Isn't Ren's Kiss my Black Azz his debut album? No need to make an exception for Crooked.

Speaking of being off topic, since when do all the threads stay on topic? Is this one of those new rules?

EPS have never been considered debut albums.And pigface isnt his first ep.

Triple OG Rapsodie

EP/LP discussion
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 12:22:40 PM »

EPS have never been considered debut albums.And pigface isnt his first ep.

Mc Ren's was. No one calls Shock of the Hour his debut. Also, these aren't debuts but Ice Cube's Kill at Will and Eazy E's It's On are considered albums. Going by that logic, Crooked I has released two mediocre albums as his official discography.

SCREWFACE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
EP/LP discussion
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 12:44:56 PM »
EPs are NOT albums, if people want to consider an EP an album they can do that, they are still wrong tho. EPs are actually something thats not too familiar to a lot of hip-hop listeners so they classify it as something more familiar to them, the album. in rock + dance music EPs are a lot more common and i think thats why theres a bit of confusion.

Triple OG Rapsodie

EP/LP discussion
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 02:25:01 PM »
EPs are NOT albums, if people want to consider an EP an album they can do that, they are still wrong tho. EPs are actually something thats not too familiar to a lot of hip-hop listeners so they classify it as something more familiar to them, the album. in rock + dance music EPs are a lot more common and i think thats why theres a bit of confusion.

I think you are the one who is mistaken. LP is not synonymous with album. LP and EP describe the length of the album.

I did a little searching. Couldn't find any statement from the Billboard, but According to the UK Charts, an album is classified as a recording either over 25 minutes or with more than four songs. That should end this debate considering most people on this site are from Europe.  ;D

http://c0903002.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/21-official-uk-charts-album-chart-rules-august-2009.pdf

SCREWFACE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
EP/LP discussion
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 02:56:40 PM »

I think you are the one who is mistaken. LP is not synonymous with album. LP and EP describe the length of the album.

I did a little searching. Couldn't find any statement from the Billboard, but According to the UK Charts, an album is classified as a recording either over 25 minutes or with more than four songs. That should end this debate considering most people on this site are from Europe.  ;D

http://c0903002.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/21-official-uk-charts-album-chart-rules-august-2009.pdf

im from the uk and i can tell you the reason they brought in that classification is so that record companies could charge full album price for an ep. there were a lot of pissed off people when they brought that into effect.

Triple OG Rapsodie

EP/LP discussion
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 03:11:00 PM »

I did a little searching. Couldn't find any statement from the Billboard, but According to the UK Charts, an album is classified as a recording either over 25 minutes or with more than four songs. That should end this debate considering most people on this site are from Europe.  ;D

im from the uk and i can tell you the reason they brought in that classification is so that record companies could charge full album price for an ep. there were a lot of pissed off people when they brought that into effect.

I doubt its something new, considering Mc Ren's Kizz My Black Azz was on the charts, and that came out in 1992. Anyway, Lol @ you still arguing when your own country defines an EP as an album

SCREWFACE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
EP/LP discussion
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 03:24:33 PM »

I doubt its something new, considering Mc Ren's Kizz My Black Azz was on the charts, and that came out in 1992. Anyway, Lol @ you still arguing when your own country defines an EP as an album

lol at u actually looking up uk album chart rules to convince urself ur right. everyone knows what an ep is

Since the 1980s, many 'singles' have been released on formats with more than 2 tracks. Because of this, the definition of an EP is not determined only by the number of tracks or the playing time. An EP is typically seen as four (or more) tracks of equal importance, as opposed to a 4-track single with an obvious A-side and 3 B-sides.
In the UK, a release with more than four distinct tracks or with a playing time of more than 25 minutes is classified as an album for chart purposes.[3]

u failed bro

Triple OG Rapsodie

EP/LP discussion
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 04:23:34 PM »

lol at u actually looking up uk album chart rules to convince urself ur right. everyone knows what an ep is

Since the 1980s, many 'singles' have been released on formats with more than 2 tracks. Because of this, the definition of an EP is not determined only by the number of tracks or the playing time. An EP is typically seen as four (or more) tracks of equal importance, as opposed to a 4-track single with an obvious A-side and 3 B-sides.
In the UK, a release with more than four distinct tracks or with a playing time of more than 25 minutes is classified as an album for chart purposes.[3]

u failed bro

you quoted something on wikipedia that doesn't even support your point. You failed bro.

I not only referenced EPs from the 90s that have been released as albums, but the official chart considers EPs to be albums as well. LMAO at you trying to argue against fact.

Jimmy H.

Re: EP/LP discussion
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2010, 06:11:50 PM »
They'd still be more like street albums anyway. They were digital releases put out in limited print.

Jaydc

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2010, 06:14:51 PM »
And Crooked I has released three eps.By your logic westcoastnostra is his debut.And hell,mixtapes are charted as well these days so why not consider those debuts as well right?

Lunatic

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2010, 06:17:13 PM »
I thought I cleared this up in the other thread officially.

EP - under 40minutes
LP - over 40 minutes

LP's are albums and since there is a very big difference in an EP and LP, no way should an EP ever be considered an "album" - whether an EP is their debut project or 7th retail charting release, it should NEVER EVER be categorized as an album (LP).
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

operation stackola

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2010, 06:37:26 PM »
Lol, I take this thread is stripped from the Distant Relatives thread. Who cares? Distant Relatives is an amazing album (regardless of what these so-called dubcnn experts on reggae think). And, oh yeah, the best E.P. (hip-hop) of all time is Creepin' On Ah Come Up. Peace!

Muhfukka

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2010, 06:48:47 PM »
Lol, I take this thread is stripped from the Distant Relatives thread. Who cares? Distant Relatives is an amazing album (regardless of what these so-called dubcnn experts on reggae think). And, oh yeah, the best E.P. (hip-hop) of all time is Creepin' On Ah Come Up. Peace!
yeah i was just going to mention the first bone cd, thats an ep that is considered an album

J.E.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2010, 06:48:52 PM »
EPs are NOT albums

And that's all we need to know.