Author Topic: A mini rant about people that complain about soccer/football  (Read 3547 times)

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: A mini rant about people that complain about soccer/football
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2010, 07:32:47 PM »
If that was the case, then the poorest Americans would be playing soccer.  It's simply a culture difference.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2010, 07:34:26 PM »
the reason soccer is the biggest sport in the world is because most countries are poor as fuck and soccer is a cheap sport to play.

No

can you really just disregard that comment like that though?

he came across as if, "only poor fucks play it", but if you think about it & get past the way it came across, it's kind of true.

i've played or know people who have played all of the "American Sports" & to play on a competitive level of Baseball, it'll cost you two grand, just to join the team & then you need equipment, pretty pricey.

Football, all the equipment & such; Hockey, same shit as Football; Basketball is basically the African American Soccer lol; Golf is expensive.

bottom line, these sports are expensive to play, Soccer can be played with any sort of decent sized ball, on any surface, with any amount of people.

it only improves it's popularity worldwide.

i personally find it to be boring, not to mention, if you watch it on TV you have to hear that stupid buzzing noise of constant horns & shit.

but to each his own, different countries, different cultures.

If that was the case, then the poorest Americans would be playing soccer.  It's simply a culture difference.

they just play Basketball; the poorest Americans are black. :P

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2010, 07:38:21 PM »
the reason soccer is the biggest sport in the world is because most countries are poor as fuck and soccer is a cheap sport to play.

No

can you really just disregard that comment like that though?

he came across as if, "only poor fucks play it", but if you think about it & get past the way it came across, it's kind of true.

i've played or know people who have played all of the "American Sports" & to play on a competitive level of Baseball, it'll cost you two grand, just to join the team & then you need equipment, pretty pricey.

Football, all the equipment & such; Hockey, same shit as Football; Basketball is basically the African American Soccer lol; Golf is expensive.

bottom line, these sports are expensive to play, Soccer can be played with any sort of decent sized ball, on any surface, with any amount of people.

it only improves it's popularity worldwide.

i personally find it to be boring, not to mention, if you watch it on TV you have to hear that stupid buzzing noise of constant horns & shit.

but to each his own, different countries, different cultures.

If that was the case, then the poorest Americans would be playing soccer.  It's simply a culture difference.

Explain why soccer is popular in European countries?  England, Italy, France aren't third world countries.  It has more to do with the culture than the money, by a lot. 

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2010, 07:44:19 PM »
^because they just are; sure, chalk that one up to culture.

but Muhfukka said it being cheap was why it's "the most popular sport in the world".

if Soccer costed hundreds of dollars to play, more small, poorer countries wouldn't play it as much as they do, therefore it would affect it's "worldwide popularity".

it's speculation, but it's pretty logical, if you ask me.

Muhfukka

« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2010, 07:45:41 PM »

hahaha and even basketball you need some kind of hoops with backboards (much harder to make then putting 2 things down for a goal), a ball that actually bounces and a surface that you can bounce a ball on. and javier yeah wealthier european countries play soccer but theyre not what makes it the biggest sport in the world, at all

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2010, 07:51:54 PM »

hahaha and even basketball you need some kind of hoops with backboards (much harder to make then putting 2 things down for a goal), a ball that actually bounces and a surface that you can bounce a ball on. and javier yeah wealthier european countries play soccer but theyre not what makes it the biggest sport in the world, at all

they have parks, but yeah, it's certainly more difficult to get a game of Basketball going than a game of Soccer.

i don't know if it's just a New York thing, because we are the most diverse state on the planet & shit, but besides parks in straight up hoods, i see plenty of Soccer being played by Spanish, Asain, Europeans, even occasionally some Americans playing.

so i mean, there are plenty who play Soccer, we're just not an elite nation, which can turn some people off to the sport & even some of you Soccer fanatics have to admit, you can understand how it can be viewed as "boring".

Muhfukka

« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2010, 07:53:53 PM »

they have parks, but yeah, it's certainly more difficult to get a game of Basketball going than a game of Soccer.

i don't know if it's just a New York thing, because we are the most diverse state on the planet & shit, but besides parks in straight up hoods, i see plenty of Soccer being played by Spanish, Asain, Europeans, even occasionally some Americans playing.

so i mean, there are plenty who play Soccer, we're just not an elite nation, which can turn some people off to the sport & even some of you Soccer fanatics have to admit, you can understand how it can be viewed as "boring".
yeah but i mean like shitty south american countries where they dont even have money to repave the roads and shit, you can still find kids playing soccer in fields and dirt lots everywhere

Muhfukka

« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2010, 07:54:51 PM »
and to be fair i am an american who can not stand watching most baseball games

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2010, 08:01:35 PM »
and to be fair i am an american who can not stand watching most baseball games

i love Baseball, in its entirety, but i can see how people can find it boring.

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2010, 08:06:18 PM »
It seems that are a few different arguments floating around.

Debate me on the cultural side of why soccer is more popular outside the United States.  I stated why U.S. didn't develop an interest in soccer, look if they United States never had basketball, football, and baseball rise as the country rose in to a super power, then soccer would be immensely popular here.  

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2010, 08:08:06 PM »

Debate me on the cultural side of why soccer is more popular outside the United States.  I stated why U.S. didn't develop an interest in soccer, look if they United States never had basketball, football, and baseball rise as the country rose in to a super power, then soccer would be immensely popular here.  

opposed to what? Golf, Hockey & Lacrosse? probably lol.

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2010, 08:10:16 PM »

It all goes back to culture.  Every single American that has called soccer boring in this thread, if you would have been born in England, Italy, or France.  Your fix will most likely be soccer.  It doesn't matter if you're rich or poor. 

Muhfukka

« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2010, 08:17:34 PM »

It all goes back to culture.  Every single American that has called soccer boring in this thread, if you would have been born in England, Italy, or France.  Your fix will most likely be soccer.  It doesn't matter if you're rich or poor.  
yeah man im not saying culture doesnt play an important part in this, but i 100% believe that the reason soccer is the biggest sport WORLDWIDE is because it is available to basically everyone, unlike just about every other sport

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2010, 08:20:02 PM »
Why isn't running based competitions much more popular?

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2010, 08:21:47 PM »

maybe, i mean you can't prove it; but maybe because i've been introduced & given the opprotunity to play sports like Baseball, Basketball & Football & find them more entertaining/interesting, it just turned me off to Soccer.

on the flip side of that argument, it's no secret that America is the New York Yankees of the world, if you ain't a fan, you're likely a hater; so couldn't you see people in those countries, supporting Soccer & the culture around it just to stick it to America? like, "our sport is more popular & better than yours" & the fact that they are raised to like it too.

like how kids in the Middle East are raised to hate America because their parents force them to, it's gotta be similar to those countries and Soccer.