Author Topic: A mini rant about people that complain about soccer/football  (Read 3544 times)

Muhfukka

Re: A mini rant about people that complain about soccer/football
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2010, 08:22:53 PM »
Why isn't running based competitions much more popular?
come on man obviously a team sport with offense, defense, power, speed, stamina, and technical skills is going to attract people alot more than who can run faster. honestly youre kinda reaching with that one

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2010, 08:31:31 PM »
How come the NFL is the most popular?  Basketball is way cheaper. 

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2010, 08:34:08 PM »
It seems that are a few different arguments floating around.

Debate me on the cultural side of why soccer is more popular outside the United States.  I stated why U.S. didn't develop an interest in soccer, look if they United States never had basketball, football, and baseball rise as the country rose in to a super power, then soccer would be immensely popular here.  

opposed to what? Golf, Hockey & Lacrosse? probably lol.

It all goes back to culture.  Every single American that has called soccer boring in this thread, if you would have been born in England, Italy, or France.  Your fix will most likely be soccer.  It doesn't matter if you're rich or poor. 

maybe, i mean you can't prove it; but maybe because i've been introduced & given the opprotunity to play sports like Baseball, Basketball & Football & find them more entertaining/interesting, it just turned me off to Soccer.

on the flip side of that argument, it's no secret that America is the New York Yankees of the world, if you ain't a fan, you're likely a hater; so couldn't you see people in those countries, supporting Soccer & the culture around it just to stick it to America? like, "our sport is more popular & better than yours" & the fact that they are raised to like it too.

like how kids in the Middle East are raised to hate America because their parents force them to, it's gotta be similar to those countries and Soccer.

Not really, because soccer was popular before United States became the super power that it is today. 

Muhfukka

« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2010, 09:12:32 PM »
How come the NFL is the most popular?  Basketball is way cheaper.  
see i was talking about people actually playing the sport, not watching pro sports . i mean watching an nfl game on tv costs just as much as watching an nba (or soccer) game
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 09:16:04 PM by Muhfukka »

Jaydc

« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2010, 09:20:15 PM »
Muhfukka was pretty much spot on.The cost os the game is a huge factor in the popularity.Anybody can play soccer anywhere its easy and doesnt cost money except to get a ball.Look at hockey,its almost exclusively a white sport because its pretty much an elitist sport.It costs A LOT of money to play hockey.Most countries in the world cant even afford to have an ice rink.You saying that doesnt effect how popular it is?Yes culture is also a factor but the fact remians any poor kid can play the game it doesnt take money.

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2010, 09:38:05 PM »
I'm an American but since my dad is from Mexico and he's a big soccer fan I grew up watching and playing soccer.  Although my favorite sport became baseball, soccer is easily up there.  See, I understand that my interest in soccer would not be there if my dad didn't like it or shit even if I was something else beside a Mexican American.  The problem though is when people diss soccer, "oh that shit is boring" "low scoring ass games" "how can 0-0 be exciting?"  Most of these people, if they were born outside of the United States most likely they will have a bigger interest in soccer/football than any the big trio of American Sports.  Of course you'll have some exceptions, but let's recognize what would really happen if you were born in Italy, England, France, Germany, Brazil, etc. 

So when the World Cup gets a lot of attention, don't be talking about how boring it is blah blah blah because more likely you would be a fan of that sport if you were raised in a different culture. 

the reason so many countries watch soccer is because they never got exposed to Michael Jordan or Peyton Manning or A-rod....that's the only reason they waste their time on boring soccer.
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2010, 12:24:29 AM »
Muhfukka was pretty much spot on.The cost os the game is a huge factor in the popularity.Anybody can play soccer anywhere its easy and doesnt cost money except to get a ball.Look at hockey,its almost exclusively a white sport because its pretty much an elitist sport.It costs A LOT of money to play hockey.Most countries in the world cant even afford to have an ice rink.You saying that doesnt effect how popular it is?Yes culture is also a factor but the fact remians any poor kid can play the game it doesnt take money.

Hockey is really a bad example. If what you were saying is 100%, hockey should be the nr. 1 sport here in Norway, just like it is in Sweden and Finland.

kemizt

Jaydc

« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2010, 03:44:25 AM »

Hockey is really a bad example. If what you were saying is 100%, hockey should be the nr. 1 sport here in Norway, just like it is in Sweden and Finland.

In what way is it a bad example?Hockey is the most expensive sport to play of all major sports and its not even close.

Furor Teutonicus

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • aka Dr. Jan Itor
« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2010, 05:12:47 AM »
It's ok if you guys live in denial and think the rest of the world  prefers football over American sports because they are poor. If it makes you happy...  :D
Of course it's important that you can also play the sports in your free time at nearly any location. That's why people are so enthusiastic football and basketball. You sound like it's a bad thing and that your sports are better and more complex just because they are  expensive.  :-\ That's exactly the  mentality they described @ stuffwhitepeoplelike.com :laugh:

« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 05:18:58 AM by still not decided »

Muhfukka

« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2010, 10:19:24 AM »
It's ok if you guys live in denial and think the rest of the world  prefers football over American sports because they are poor. If it makes you happy...  :D
Of course it's important that you can also play the sports in your free time at nearly any location. That's why people are so enthusiastic football and basketball. You sound like it's a bad thing and that your sports are better and more complex just because they are  expensive.  :-\ That's exactly the  mentality they described @ stuffwhitepeoplelike.com :laugh:

yeah you know how its only white people playing football, basketball, and baseball. and these sports arent better because theyre more expensive, they just arent running back and forth on a huge field with almost no scoring

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2010, 12:54:11 PM »
Hockey is more popular in colder environments, and again this ties into culture.  The Dominicans, Cubans, Venezuelans are also dirt poor but they prefer baseball over soccer. It's culture. 

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2010, 12:55:59 PM »
Football is much more popular in Europe than it is in Africa too. 

Muhfukka

« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2010, 01:16:00 PM »
Hockey is more popular in colder environments, and again this ties into culture.  The Dominicans, Cubans, Venezuelans are also dirt poor but they prefer baseball over soccer. It's culture. 
puerto rico also but theyre not quite as poor. and i think as far as sports in africa go soccer is the biggest, its just alot of people there dont have the privelege of playing sports

the ghost

« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2010, 01:45:27 PM »
I used to detest soccer until I went to a few matches in Europe.  That shit is off the hook.  The crowd is almost 50% of the game.  It really is amazing.  Blows "American" sports crowds out of the water. But take the crowd out of it and put it on TV, it's meh to me anyways.

IRAN iz Gangsta!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Up in Yo bitch iz where you might find me!
« Reply #59 on: May 25, 2010, 02:13:26 PM »
there are forces inside US that dont allow soccer to blow up....it will reduce the fans of basketball, football and baseball...therefore they keep it a boring game by not giving it much coverage and very little highlights.  Americans also suck at commentating soccer games, look at spanish commentators or other countries, a commentator like ray hudson and the way he analyzes the game and talks about the goals, alot of times it sounds funny as hell, but its great. 

Honeslty if u look at all the hype in american sports its what MEDIA feeds people.  It's not really what people think or feel, its what they hear left and right...they see 2 people talking about it, then they see it on tv, then they see it on facebook and internet, and in their head it becomes a big deal.  Thats the same way they promote football and other things.  by building a story and hyping the shit out of it.  Well in soccer, there is so much history they dont need to do that...all they have to say is the name of the teams that are playing (ex; inter milan - manchester united) and its hype on its own for so many reasons.