Author Topic: Rangers BANKRUPT  (Read 559 times)

OG Hack Wilson

Rangers BANKRUPT
« on: May 24, 2010, 08:44:57 PM »
Rangers Declare Bankruptcy
by Mike Krumboltz
4 hours ago

106 Votes
Owning a baseball team isn't always a license to print money. Take the Texas Rangers, for example. Ten years after signing Alex Rodriguez to a then unheard of $252 million contract, the MLB franchise has filed for bankruptcy.

Now, it's probably not exactly fair to blame the team's financial failings on the current Yankees slugger. Still, USA Today explains that A-Rod is one of the team's largest unsecured creditors. He is currently owed nearly $25 million in compensation, six years after he was traded away.

So what does it mean to be an "unsecured creditor" at a time like this? Well, the New York Daily News explains that the bankruptcy could cost A-Rod $24,892,006.61 in deferred compensation. However, The Wall Street Journal writes that "the proposed $575 million sale would repay all the team’s creditors, including players owed back salary."  A-Rod can apparently rest easy.

Some people hear the word "bankruptcy," and images of baseball players wearing barrels and catching pop flies for nickels come to mind. But the team will continue to function normally. Officials claim that the bankruptcy won't stop the team's efforts to win games. Currently, the Rangers are in first place in their division.

The Rangers bankruptcy, according to an article from the AP, is completely voluntary and has the support of MLB commissioner Bud Selig. The hope is that if the other big-league teams approve the move, it will clear the way for the team's sale to a group of investors led by former Rangers pitcher and all-time strikeout leader Nolan Ryan.

Even though this has all the makings of a relatively normal business deal, web lookups on "rangers bankruptcy" and "texas rangers bankrupt" both soared in the Search box. USA Today explains that this isn't the first time a big-league club has gone Chapter 11. The Chicago Cubs declared bankruptcy last year, and the Baltimore Orioles did likewise in 1993.

Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

Jaydc

Re: Rangers BANKRUPT
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 10:25:01 PM »
Baseball will never be interesting to me until a salary cap is introduced.And I mean a real salary cap like the nhl,not like the nba.That and if they expanded their playoffs to 8 teams from each league.

you gon always be my latin queen bitch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 10:32:00 PM »
damn its a-rod's fault? lol
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:15 AM By: Ice Cube
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube
gbee:@ Petey: you sound like a broken record, time to grow up.

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 11:04:18 PM »
Baseball will never be interesting to me until a salary cap is introduced.And I mean a real salary cap like the nhl,not like the nba.That and if they expanded their playoffs to 8 teams from each league.

baseball will go under when they introduce a salary cap because it'd lose money without having an NY, Boston, Chicago or LA in the playoffs

the Yankees had a high payroll in the 80s and niggas weren't complaining then
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

you gon always be my latin queen bitch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 11:10:03 PM »
why should there be a cap....so all teams can only spend the same amount?
does that create any competition?
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:15 AM By: Ice Cube
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube
gbee:@ Petey: you sound like a broken record, time to grow up.

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 11:23:00 PM »
Tampa Bay Devil Rays  Salary: 43.8

32-14

Fuck a salary cap

Jaydc

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 11:59:10 PM »
You think tampa bay will be able to keep that up?No way,theyve got two maybe three year more seasons before they implode.And hack thats just retarded,the nfl seems to do just fine without those markets always in the playoffs.The only people who dont want a cap are people are fans of the yankees or la teams with big budgets.

And enyce not every team spends the same it just makes it more about who can develop talent on their roster and it becomes more about how good the organization is run over who has the owner with the biggest wallet.The nhl has a cap on both ends,theira mininum a team must spend and max a team can spend.Which how it should be.As it stands now half the teams in the league are basically feeder teams for the big budget teams.How is that exciting to watch?

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 12:02:01 AM »
You think tampa bay will be able to keep that up?No way,theyve got two maybe three year more seasons before they implode.And hack thats just retarded,the nfl seems to do just fine without those markets always in the playoffs.The only people who dont want a cap are people are fans of the yankees or la teams with big budgets.

You know what's always going to be on the Rays side?  Good front office management. Baseball has the best competition as is, don't fuck with it. 

Jaydc

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 12:03:05 AM »
in what way does baseball have the best competition?

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 12:09:41 AM »

The evidence speaks for itself.  Plenty of the low budget teams have won it all, and also have been able to go to the World Series, compete for division titles, wild cards etc. 

Jaydc

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 12:14:57 AM »

The evidence speaks for itself. 

You want some evidence?Hows this...In the last 13years youve had count them SEVEN baseball teams not make a playoff appearance,four more teams with one appearance and 5 more with 2 appearances.That adds up 16 teams making a grand total of 6 appearances between them over a cours of 13 years.THATS HALF THE LEAGUE.Again,how is it compettive when half the league are feeder teams for the big market teams?Thats why a salary cap is needed.you dont get anything to balance it out.The draft has always been the great balancer in sports but not in baseball and you know why?Because a team like the yankees can just steal another teams talent by paying them two to three times more then they can get at a lesser known team.Its a joke,it makes it boring to watch.Calling it the most competitive is the most laughable thing Ive ever heard.Nfl and Nhl are wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more competitive.

Jaydc

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 12:20:24 AM »
the fact that in the mlb theres seven teams that ahvent made it to the playoffs in almost 15 years and three teams that havent made it to the playoffs in over 20 years shows that the league is extremely flawed and a salary cap is needed.

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2010, 12:27:51 AM »
this is from another thread, a post by Knuckles

# of different Champions from each sport in the past ten years:

MLB: 8
NHL: 8
NFL: 7
NBA: 5

# of different teams making the finals from each sport in the past ten years:

MLB: 14
NFL: 14
NHL: 12
NBA: 11

A Salary Cap won't do shit, the most important thing in baseball is front office management.   The recent Dodger success doesn't have shit to do with buying players, all of their best players have come through drafting and signing them for not so expensive contracts.  The problem is that sometimes these cheap teams also have the dumbest management.  Just take a look at the Royals, they waste money on Guillen and Meche lmao for fuck's sake they deserve to be horrible for that type of bullshit. 

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2010, 12:30:23 AM »
There are plenty of teams out there that know what to do with a smaller budget and there are plenty of teams that have no idea what the fuck they're doing with a large budget. 

Jaydc

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2010, 12:33:20 AM »
So no comment on why half the league is basically feeder teams?Your just breaking down finals and completey ignoring the playoffs.How is a league where half the teams are irrelvant and feeder teams competitive?