Author Topic: Yo Gotti: Kitchen Cookin' (Interview)  (Read 53 times)

Lunatic

Yo Gotti: Kitchen Cookin' (Interview)
« on: May 28, 2010, 11:35:24 AM »
http://www.wordofsouth.com/2010/05/25/yo-gotti-kitchen-cookin-interview/

Features | WOS | May 25, 2010 at 11:50 AM

WordofSouth.com: We’re here with Yo Gotti!

Yo Gotti: What it do homie?

WordofSouth.com: How you doing?

Yo Gotti: I’m good mayne; what it do?

WordofSouth.com: We’re chilling. First thing we want to know is, do you have a release date for the album “Live from the Kitchen?”

Yo Gotti: “Live from the Kitchen” is coming out this spring. I don’t have the exact date off the top of my head right now.

WordofSouth.com: The date isn’t there yet but its spring. That’s the title, “Live from the Kitchen” – why did you title it that?

Yo Gotti: It’s my favorite part of the house. That’s where you put the recipe together; whatever your plan is. You put your ingredients and put your recipe together. That’s what I’m doing right now.

WordofSouth.com: What do you feel your saying differently on this album that you haven’t said already?

Yo Gotti: I’m definitely telling you my story. The more places I travel, the more things I see and the bigger my story becomes. I make reality music so I’m always going to keep it real life music mixed with catchy choruses and good energy. I also make music that vibes good in the club.

WordofSouth.com: Ok. What practices do you take to try and keep the concepts fresh and unique?

Yo Gotti: I just record a lot. I do a lot of mixtapes. I record so many songs; it’s needed and I treat it like practice. When you do this, you do it. You don’t run out of music because it becomes natural. You feel me?

WordofSouth.com: I like that. The more places you travel, the larger your story gets. Speaking of traveling, do you have any favorite parts of the world that you’ve been to in terms of doing shows? Maybe even if it was just a vacation.

Yo Gotti: I do three-four shows every weekend. I’ve been so many places and I like them all. Every place has their own different thing that makes they’re own city unique. I just like to see it all. Speaking of that, we have this “Live from the Kitchen” tour that starts March 19th in Atlanta at club Obsessions (editor’s note: interview was conducted before tour began).

WordofSouth.com: We hope the fans check that out. “Live from the Kitchen” the album drops this spring. Are there any more official mixtapes coming before the album?

Yo Gotti: I will put out “Cocaine Music 4.5” – that will probably be the next one. It’s pretty much a wrap. I just have to give it to DJ Drama and let him do his thing.

WordofSouth.com: So DJ Drama will be hosting it. It’s dropping before “Live from the Kitchen?”

Yo Gotti: It may come any day now.

WordofSouth.com: Dope. Speaking of the album, are you promoting “Men Lie, Women Lie” as the official single?

Yo Gotti: “5 Star” was the first song, “Men Lie, Women Lie” is the next single.

WordofSouth.com: We’re going to talk about both of those records. What was it like working with [Lil] Wayne on that?

Yo Gotti: It’s always a good experience working with Wayne. He works so fast; he does it real quick and he does what he does real well. I’ve been around Wayne for a minute now. It’s kind of simple. I told him I had the track and a song I wanted him to get on. He told me to send it; he did it in thirty minutes – maybe quicker than that.

WordofSouth.com: Wow. Is the album being released on Cash Money/Polo Grounds/J Records?

Yo Gotti: The album is being released on Polo Grounds/J Records.

WordofSouth.com: So you’re not signed to Cash Money?

Yo Gotti: No.

WordofSouth.com: So how did the situation with Polo Grounds/J Records come about?

Yo Gotti: I was signed with TVT. When they went bankrupt, I was blessed enough to get in a position where I was able to buy myself out of my contract. I bought myself out of my contract and I was free again. Of course all the record labels put their numbers and plans up. J Records & Polo Grounds made the most sense to me.

WordofSouth.com: Looking back, how do you view your time on TVT?

Yo Gotti: It was the worst shit ever. To me, it was like being in jail. It was like doing time and then you finally get free.

WordofSouth.com: Damn, that bad?

Yo Gotti: I mean it wasn’t that bad to where…it wasn’t worse then where I come from. I was trying to be a successful artist and I was stuck at a standstill.

WordofSouth.com: “Men Lie, Women Lie” is with Lil Wayne and “5 Star” has a solid lineup as well. Who else is on the album?

Yo Gotti: Producer wise, I worked with Jim Jonsin, Justice League, Cool & Dre, Drumma Boy and Hot Rod who did “5 Star.” I got this one song with [Rick] Ross on there. I recorded over 100 songs and I’m picking them now. So I don’t really know the ones that are going to make the cut.

WordofSouth.com: “5 Star” was the first song released off the album as you said – in your opinion, who does Yo Gotti consider a five star chick? Whether it’s a female artist, model, actress or anything – who is a five star chick?

Yo Gotti: In my eyes, there are a lot of them. Of course you have Beyonce, Alicia Keys, Rihanna, Trina and Nicki Minaj. There are a lot of then though in my mind.

WordofSouth.com: Have you spoken to Gucci Mane since he’s been locked up? If so, what did you two talk about?

Yo Gotti: I talked to him. We talked about some new jewelry I was getting and some jewelry he was going to get when he gets out of jail. We talked about doing some new music. We really were just tripping and kicking it.

WordofSouth.com: So he’s holding his head up high?

Yo Gotti: Yeah, he’s good.

WordofSouth.com: Will we ever get another Gucci & Gotti tape once he’s released?

Yo Gotti: Of course. We have to do that.

WordofSouth.com: Which artists are signed to your label, Inevitable?

Yo Gotti: All-Star from Nashville. I also got Zed Zilla from South Memphis and you know I’m from North Memphis. That’s who I just did the “Cocaine Music 4” with; Me, Zed Zilla & DJ Drama.

WordofSouth.com: Speaking of All-Star since he’s signed to your label, when is his album coming out? And what did you think of “Starlito’s Way 3?”

Yo Gotti: He’s a good rapper and he puts out a lot of material too. He’s consistent. We’re trying to get that one song on him and then we’re outta’ here.

WordofSouth.com: What’s going on with the dissing with you and V Slash?

Yo Gotti: Me and who?

WordofSouth.com: V Slash?

Yo Gotti: Who’s that?

WordofSouth.com: You’ve been dissing each other?

Yo Gotti: Nah, I don’t know. Have you ever interviewed them?

WordofSouth.com: No.

Yo Gotti: I don’t know them (laughs).

WordofSouth.com: You have no idea?

Yo Gotti: I don’t know, I’ve never heard of them.

WordofSouth.com: Ok. Three 6 Mafia was apparently claiming something about trying to sign you and you declined and went elsewhere and that’s why the beef had started. Do you want to comment on that?

Yo Gotti: Nah. You know me and Three 6 [Mafia] are from the same city but we just never really worked with each other. I never said we don’t get along but we never really worked together. I expressed some things in my song that I felt. That’s the type of dude I am. If I feel a certain way, I say it. If they told the public something, it isn’t anything to me. It’s not a beef. It’s nothing.

WordofSouth.com: Have you and 8Ball squashed the issue?

Yo Gotti: Nah, I fuck with 8Ball. I never really had an issue with 8Ball either. We have too much cheese for beef. It ain’t an issue; where I’m from; if nobody is trying to kill each other then it isn’t really anything.

WordofSouth.com: What’s next up for Yo Gotti?

Yo Gotti: This “Live from the Kitchen” tour which kicks off March 19th in Atlanta. It’s a two setter tour. We’re doing 15 cities and then we have the second set of 15 cities. We’re going to try and come to a city near everybody and rock it. My boy Waka [Flocka Flame] will be on the tour with me for the first 15 shows. We’re rolling from there.

WordofSouth.com: I really appreciate your time Yo Gotti and you’re live on www.wordofsouth.com. We hope all our readers get a chance to check out a show during the “Live from the Kitchen” tour which kicks off March 19th in Atlanta and also the album hitting this spring. Do you have any last words before I let you go?

Yo Gotti: “Live from the Kitchen” album coming spring 2010 so be on the lookout for it.

– INTERVIEW BY: Justin Melo
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com