Author Topic: Eminem - Recovery (Discussion Thread)  (Read 13456 times)

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Eminem - Recovery (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #405 on: June 15, 2010, 09:11:29 PM »
^are you high?

read my original post, i was reviewing The Slim Shady LP lol.

oh damn LMAO

anyway: MMLP>>>EM Show>>SSLP>Relapse>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Recovery>>>>>>>>>>>Encore

that's EMs career

Lol good shit.

MMLP>>>SSLP>Eminem Show>>>>>>>Relapse>>>>>>Recovery>>>>>>>>>>>Encore

The-Leak (aka) kingwell (bka) JULES

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
« Reply #406 on: June 15, 2010, 11:21:56 PM »

lol.

The Watcher

« Reply #407 on: June 16, 2010, 05:49:14 AM »
perhaps i missed this in the 17 pages, but what are the 2 bonus tracks available on itunes?
army of the pharaohs never make love songs
we finger fuck bitches with freddy krueger gloves on
- celph titled

"lol infact lmao" - Proof of D12

anticipate the shots like obama at the podium
- joe budden

quiksta80

• 'G'
« Reply #408 on: June 16, 2010, 11:39:37 AM »
It sounds like it to me but does anyone know if the majority if not the whole album was mixed by dre?

So Much Style

« Reply #409 on: June 16, 2010, 03:02:17 PM »
MMLP 9/10>>SSLP 8/10>>>Relapse 7.5/10>Recovery 7.5/10>>The Eminem Show 7/10>>>Encore 5.5/10
So much style back at it again

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #410 on: June 16, 2010, 05:39:19 PM »
I will not argue that Recovery's content is more digestible or relateable but to say Relapse had no content is wrong.

3 A.M: return of Shady, Eminem's alter ego that promotes self-destructive habits

My Mom: review of his mother but instead of completely blaming her he attempts to relate to her issues because he sees how he is like her

Insane: a story of being raped by his father (I don't know how true any of this is.  I know he said it's not real but one must wonder. Maybe it's a metaphor for the lack of a father figure in his life.)

Bagpipes From Baghdad: Mariah Carey & Nick Cannon diss

Hello: discussion of his drug addiction and the creation of shady

Same Song and Dance: a story about killing pop stars (a review of his disses against pop icons)

Medicine Ball: controversial lyrics for attention

Stay Wide Awake: the craziness of his mind

I can go on but each record has a concept and is about something, even if you can't relate to it.   The major difference I see in content is that on Recovery it's more a tell all situation where he doesn't use metaphors and assumes the consumer is too stupid to follow along.  Hence, instead of letting you assume he's talking about hip-hop on 25 to Life he tells you he's talking about hip-hop.

Let's not act as if this were some high-advanced methaphours with some deep meaning you just listed. It's basically just a story of him being fucked up in various ways.
Be careful what you wish for and My Darling are better content-wise in my opinion, cause he is actually is going into details on why he is fucked up.

Yes, he makes it more obvious, like in the end on 25 to life, a lot of rappers do that, e.g. Nas on that song where he's a gun
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

meecca

• 'G'
« Reply #411 on: June 23, 2010, 08:43:51 AM »
I dunno what you guys are talking about, I copped this today and after 1½ listens I think this is up there with The Eminem Show. Shit is dooope!

EDIT: The only part the singing is wack is You're never over. Didn't even notice him singing as much as I thought he would. The beats are fresh!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 09:37:07 AM by meecca »
And do a driveby, fuck that, I walk by and I spray shit
then carve my name in your pavement

JohnnyL

« Reply #412 on: June 23, 2010, 10:20:48 AM »
I dunno what you guys are talking about, I copped this today and after 1½ listens I think this is up there with The Eminem Show. Shit is dooope!

EDIT: The only part the singing is wack is You're never over. Didn't even notice him singing as much as I thought he would. The beats are fresh!

Agreed.  For the most part I thought the singing was alright.  It didn't work on that one, though.  I think he should have found an actual singer to do the hook for that one.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #413 on: June 23, 2010, 02:40:52 PM »

Agreed.  For the most part I thought the singing was alright.  It didn't work on that one, though.  I think he should have found an actual singer to do the hook for that one.

Or a tight sample.

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #414 on: June 24, 2010, 12:06:33 AM »

Or a tight sample.

Anything else would do, one of the worst dedication tracks in hip hop

TheWestCoast

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Need that Million Dollar Story!!
« Reply #415 on: June 24, 2010, 12:37:11 AM »
recovery is fukn dope..only shitty track is wont back down other than that its as good as it gets these days
dis album is good when your alone driving or workin out..eminem makes da best workout music

relapse > recovery??? first time i wanted to quote gucci THIS SHIT RIDICULOUS

TheWestCoast

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Need that Million Dollar Story!!
« Reply #416 on: June 24, 2010, 12:54:41 AM »
didn noe so many ppl hate encore
i use to listen to dat shyt all day sum solid tracks on there
plus i remember sum shyt like all those crazy diss tracks n shyt got leaked early n ruined the quality of encore so he re-recorded quik style n it was still a solid album

anyways i was jus chekin out other releases around da time of encore n damn music not just rap is gettin worse every year

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #417 on: June 24, 2010, 08:58:15 AM »

Or a tight sample.

Anything else would do, one of the worst dedication tracks in hip hop

Without a doubt; I was truly disappointed after waiting so long to hear it.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #418 on: June 24, 2010, 08:44:33 PM »
1.     Cold Wind Blows - 3.75/5; The singing in the beginning is tolerable, the singing at the end is real weak; the verses are solid throughout. He goes for a lyrical, metaphorical kind of flow, which I like for an intro. Not amazing, but a good start to an album. Beat was bangin' too.

2.     Talkin’ 2 Myself Feat. Kobe - 4/5; One of the better songs on the album. Kobe's hook was real overhyped mostly because he's one of those lesser-known hook guys & I think most of you just gave him the nod that it was great. I was good, fit the song. The topics Em touched on were dope & pretty informative. I didn't know he had problems with Wayne & Kanye to the point of dissing. One of the best songs with one of the best beats on the album.

3.     On Fire - 3.75/5; It does sound like more a freestyle, but I fuck with it. The beat had a dark sound to it & he just went off with the flow. It's one of those songs I can bump for pure enjoyment, without a purpose than be upset that it doesn't have some morale or point to it. Basically letting us know, he's still got it. I can understand hate for it though.

4.     Won’t Back Down Feat. Pink - 2.5/5; When it first came out, I was feeling the rock beat with the rap because I was always into that; but now that I have the entire album, it really doesn't fit. He went for the same kind of thing he did for "On Fire" & this is just the poor man's version. The Pink hook wasn't bad, but like it's been said, it didn't need Pink; it could of been anybody. Plus, if you want to compare it to "On Fire", he just sounded so much better on that. Weak.

5.     W.T.P. - 2.5/5; Pretty lame attempt at a club joint lol. The beat is fucking BANGING though, I could almost fuck with this just off the beat. But Eminem isn't the kind of voice I want to hear when I'm doing my thing on the dance floor. To bang in the whip? Yeah, I'll listen to it here & there. Overall? Weak & doesn't fit the theme of the album.

6.     Going Through Changes - 4/5; Speaks on Kim, Hayley & I believe he had a few lines about Proof mixed in there. One of the deeper songs, with a message. The singing isn't great, but it doesn't ruin the song; it's tolerable. The beat is solid, but the song is more about the lyrics he's spitting.

7.     Not Afraid - 3.75/5; In my opinion, it's his best single since "The Eminem Show". The singing after the second verse is real weak, but I can get past it. The hook singing isn't bad & it's deep as far as singles go. Especially for an Eminem single. The beat has an annoying snare to it, but I was never a big fan of Boi-1da. Good song though.

8.     Seduction - 3.75/5; It's a continuious theme throughout the album; none of these songs will be talked about when thinking of Eminem's career, none of them are eye-popping insane, but for the most part good. This song is a prime example. Deep, speaks on drugs & such, but it's nothing to be talked about. I fuck with it though. The beat is tight. The singing on the hook is probably one of the better ones he did, probably because he wasn't trying to hit high notes lol. One of my prefered songs though.

9.     No Love Feat. Lil Wayne - 3.75/5; I think you guys went a little hard on the sample, I thought they did a great job with that. Corny? Maybe, but I was certainly feeling it. Lil' Wayne came correct, spit that slowish flow like on "Drop The World". Em really came through here. It's a real bumpable song. Em & Wayne are 2 for 2 in my book. 3 for 3 if you count "Forever".

10.  Space Bound - 4.25/5; My personal favorite song off the album. The hook was was my shit. Em came correct on all verses, sounded serious. Not using silly little, drug-addict-type lines. More songs like this the better. Production didn't even need to be banging or insane, just a solid beat to keep it flowing.

11.  Cinderella Man - 3.5/5; Another one of his "I'm the best" songs & it worked. The beat was a little...I don't know how to describe it, sounded generic for some reason. Em came tight though, flowed. Not much more to be said.

12.  25 to Life - 4.25/5; Easily the second best song off the album. The beat was ill. The hook was ill. But most importantly, Eminem shined on this. Before he gave it away at the end, I wasn't sure what he was talking about; but now putting the whole song in perspective, I love it. You can say it's lame he told us, but whatever, if you know what it means anyway, who cares? It's the kind of Eminem I want to hear from here on out, deep, personal songs. Really brought the emotion out on this one.

13.  So Bad - 2.5/5; I don't know what it is, but I can't get into this song. The only hook he doesn't really sing, it's more of a jingle & it's just weak. Most of you only gave it a nod because it's the only Dre produced track. It was a tight beat, but Em didn't give it justice. It was just bad, plain & simple lol.

14.  Almost Famous - 3.5/5; Speaks on his career. But my only complaint is he didn't sound focused. I wanted to hear more personal shit. His whole third verse was just like, "Yeah, nobody's fucking with me". He could of made this into a much better song. But for what it's worth, it's bumpable. I'm still kind of on the fence about the hook. Some days I feel it, some days I just want to skip over it lol..

15.  Love the Way You Lie Feat. Rihanna - 4/5; Yeah, this will likely be a single. But I really feel this song. Rihanna comes through on the hook & Eminem spits the goods. I don't think it was about Kim, just any random bitch. More of a song people bump when they think of a girl. Love & hate sides to a relationship. You can call it poppy, but it had a great sound to it & I fuck with it all the way.

16.  You’re Never Over - 3/5; I expected one million times the performance on this song. I basically listened to this whole album the first time through just waiting to hear this song. When I was on "So Bad", I was telling myself, "Oh yes, we're almost on this song". Right off the bat, the worst singing Eminem has ever done in his career. He should of gotten somebody to sing a deep hook or a great sample for this, but the singing was awful. The first verse is so focused on himself, I almost can't tell if it is a "tribute track" or not lol. The second verse is much tighter, but even that isn't what I expected. Maybe I just wanted so much more out of this, it makes me dislike the song, but this was a disappointment overall.

Final Grade; 3.5/5; solid throughout, some standout tracks, but nothing close to classic songs or songs we'll be talking about down the road. Besides "Space Bound" & "25 to Life" maybe.

The more I listen, the tighter the gap between this & Relapse comes. The accent stopped bothering me the second or third time I spun that album, so it's not even a major thing for me. I perfer a darker sound anyway, so that worked in Relapse's favor, plus his flow was much sharper. Lyrically, he was weaker on Relapse & he had weaker songs throughout. Recovery he only had 2-3.

I'm still sold on the thought most of the hate is coming from the fact it was hyped up like some of you really thought we were getting something like the MMLP & the disappointment drove the hate. But for what it's worth, it's tight.

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #419 on: June 24, 2010, 09:15:00 PM »
Lyrically, he was weaker on Relapse & he had weaker songs throughout. Recovery he only had 2-3.

Cham, I know we've been bickering about Recovery and a bunch of bullshit but why do you think this?  I've heard people say his punchlines on Recovery are dope.  I wasn't sure what they were talking about.  Could you cite examples?

Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks