Author Topic: Mortal Kombat Rebirth Trailer  (Read 998 times)

The Watcher

Re: Mortal Kombat Rebirth Trailer
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2010, 06:02:42 AM »
well, thats what theyre doing. theyre getting rid of of the campy shit that wouldnt work in a movie of this one (read: special powers) and make it about a martial arts contest. along with getting rid of the powers you have to make it more realistic

i'll buy tickets to this movie on opening night if this thing gets made
army of the pharaohs never make love songs
we finger fuck bitches with freddy krueger gloves on
- celph titled

"lol infact lmao" - Proof of D12

anticipate the shots like obama at the podium
- joe budden

JohnnyL

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2010, 07:15:38 AM »
well, thats what theyre doing. theyre getting rid of of the campy shit that wouldnt work in a movie of this one (read: special powers) and make it about a martial arts contest. along with getting rid of the powers you have to make it more realistic

i'll buy tickets to this movie on opening night if this thing gets made

Actually, it sounds as though some of the mysticism may be left in, if this movie actually gets to be made.  Here is an excerpt from an interview with the director of the "pitch movie."  It's actually a pretty good read:

I had been thinking about this for awhile now. Just in passing, I’ve always had these conversations about “Mortal Kombat” because everyone was talking about rebooting the movie. I guess that’s the popular term everyone uses now. Reboot, reboot, let’s just take everything and reboot it. Of course I had my opinions on it, because of the first two movies, and because I was such an avid fan of the game. I was a quarter dispenser, and I don’t know how much I spent over at the Sherman Oaks golf course, whatever that place is called now. Right by the Galleria. And I had a lot of opinions on it. I really, really thought that something special could be made there. And it got to a point where we just kept talking about it, and I just had to do it. It took over a two-month span of time. I shot this whole thing in two days on two Red cameras that were donated to me with a group of friends who all believed in the cause. We shot it at Lacey Street Studios on Saturday and Sunday afternoon and we just kind of had fun with it. It all started at the beginning of April and it took two months to do all the post and the editing. I edited it myself and the visual effects were great people donating their time. It turned out to be pretty awesome. I was very, very happy about it. It’s one of those passion projects that lived in my head. The technology is so accessible now. There’s was no reason why I shouldn’t do it, so I did it. I’m very, very happy that people are responding well to it. I know that there’s definitely a handful of purists that have their opinions on the mysticism and the mythos of Mortal Kombat. But I do have an answer for that: this is just a prelude to what my movie version would be. And of course, when you’re working by yourself, you have a limited resource of budget. I made this thing for $7,500. I couldn’t go balls-to-the-wall on visual effects. I had to utilize what I could and make the best of it. I want the mysticism to be treated carefully and with integrity. We just kind of went for it, and did it. And everyone was available, they believed in the project. We picked up the camera, and we went, and we didn’t stop.

So it sounds to me as though some of the mystic elements may be there, albeit toned down.  To me, this is exactly the way to go.  After reading this interview, I'm now convinced that this guy knows what he's talking about when it comes to doing a "Mortal Kombat" movie.  Hopefully he was able to convince Warner Brothers of that.

You can check out the original article here, which also includes a link to the full interview:

http://enewsi.com/news.php?catid=190&itemid=17735

« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 08:12:17 PM by JohnnyL »

mackiain

• Lil Geezy
  • 2010 Year of the Lakers
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2010, 01:53:25 PM »
Not sure I like the idea of Mortal Kombat being about Serial Killers rather than another dimension where the enemies just naturally had powers. None of this self mutilation bs. Jeri Ryan as Sonya blade, shes like 50.

I totally see where you're coming from.  To me, it's not truely "Mortal Kombat" if they don't include some other-worldly characters.  I wouldn't mind if that element is played down a bit in the first movie, as the first tournament took place on Earth.  But it would be difficult for me to fully accept a "Mortal Kombat" movie that didn't have that element at all.
 To be fair though, as far as the actors go, we have no guarantee that even if Warner Bros. were to pick this up as a full length movie, that they'd still cast the same actors from this "pitch" film.
  While I'm not really a fan of the hyper realistic Dark Kinight-ification of the characters in here, I really like the tone of this short.  If they could keep the dark tone and just incorporate a story that was more like the traditional "Mortal Kombat" story line it would be perfect, imo.

Ya they definitely have lots of room to play around. They could either do this right or screw it up really badly. I hope it works out. But to be honest I loved the first movie they did in 95.

Putting a new spin on it could be a good idea, let's just hope it doesn't turn out like the most recent Street Fighter movie. Hah!
Westcoast Hip-hop fan since 93.

Matty

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2010, 05:07:33 PM »
i've read in a few places in relation to this that the other two mortal kombat movies weren't good so room to make something decent from the series. the second movie was pretty crap, but the original mortal kombat movie was easily one of the better video game adaptions to come to the big screen! christopher lambert as raiden! making a film half as enjoyable as that would be a mean feat, i doubt they'd be able to do it.

The-Leak (aka) kingwell (bka) JULES

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2010, 05:23:40 PM »
Yeah, as long as the fighters can have a some-what logical explanation as to how they got their powers and abilities in the real world, it will work..  Adds a more real sense to the idea of Mortal Kombat.

1 is way better than 2, and they may not be great movies, but I always loved them just because of the idea behind them is so cool.

Here is a trailer to the new Mortal Kombat game coming out via Warner Bros Interactive Ent.  http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2010-mortal-kombat/101130

UKnowWhatItIs: welcome to my traps....game over

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2010, 07:14:44 PM »
They don't need to explain how or where these guys got their superpowers from. They didn't do it in the game, so the movies doen't need it either. MK was always about other mysterious realms (usually Outworld) competing against Earth in a tournament. Whats the fuckin point in changing that for a movie? I'd rather it not come out if MK is supposed to be a undergound tournament (big lol) & creatures from the outworld are actually just humans with sick twisted minds or born differently. Fuck that.

JohnnyL

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2010, 08:18:48 PM »
They don't need to explain how or where these guys got their superpowers from. They didn't do it in the game, so the movies doen't need it either. MK was always about other mysterious realms (usually Outworld) competing against Earth in a tournament. Whats the fuckin point in changing that for a movie? I'd rather it not come out if MK is supposed to be a undergound tournament (big lol) & creatures from the outworld are actually just humans with sick twisted minds or born differently. Fuck that.

Yeah, I mean to me, if they pretty much go with the idea that these are otherwordly creatures and sorcerers using magic and super natural powers, that would be enough of an explanation for me.  But from what the director said (in my above post) it sounds as though that element may still be put in the movie if he gets to make it.  Basically, he said he had to tone that down for his "pitch movie" because he only had a $7,500 budget to work within, so he couldn't go balls-out with special effects.  But if Warner Brothers decides to back him, he wouldn't have those constraints.  He did say he wanted to do the mysticism with integrity.  But if I understand his meaning, I'm with him on that.  I think he just means he wants the mystic elements to come off as cool and not cheesey, which I totally agree with.  Hopefully something will come out of all of this, but I definitely think it's possible that this could be turned into a very kick ass movie.

theremedy360

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2010, 08:57:15 PM »
LOL I used to love MK when I was a kid, I'll definitely check this out  8)

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2010, 01:50:07 AM »
Lol, I don't know how anyone can think the first Mortal Kombat movie was actually a good movie. What it had going for it was camp and entertainment. But as a quality movie it was in the "so bad its good category." I understand we all have great memories of our childhood, but seriously go back and watch the movie. It may be entertaining but its not a good movie.

The-Leak (aka) kingwell (bka) JULES

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2010, 03:46:28 AM »
Lol, I don't know how anyone can think the first Mortal Kombat movie was actually a good movie. What it had going for it was camp and entertainment. But as a quality movie it was in the "so bad its good category." I understand we all have great memories of our childhood, but seriously go back and watch the movie. It may be entertaining but its not a good movie.

Good movies are entertaining.  I watched them again both last year.  You gotta have a niche for video games I guess.  The second one is TMNT3 status though...

Matty

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2010, 05:57:42 AM »

on one level, an entertaining movie is a good movie 8)

the 'so bad its good' or films perceived like that category is just as valid as 'high art' cinema in a lot of instances. i know a little about what an actual good movie is - degree in film studies/history. just hollywood doesn't make many of those these days. they should stick to the deliberately, corny entertaining flicks a lil' more. then again, i thought the dark knight wasn't that good, a blasphemous opinion to most.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 06:01:56 AM by Matty »

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2010, 06:15:59 AM »
The first MK movie was good but in some moments it was a little corny & the lack of brutality & heavy violence from the game took alot away from the movie. The 2nd one was terrible. The whole idea of Khan invading earth, connecting it with the Outworld & having the good guys on the run (a la MK3) was good but the result was just uuuggghhhh & the special effects :-X The only good things they had going on were the fights & the music. The rest was ass. Anyone notice the only actors returning from the first movie were the people playing Liu Kang & Kitana?? The others knew this would be a shitty movie so they never participated in it. I do have to admit as a kid though, I actually liked this movie.

JohnnyL

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2010, 07:36:17 AM »
 Well, I remember liking the first movie when it came out.  Seeing it more recently, it didn't hold up too great, over time.  But I remember at the time it came out, there really weren't any good video game adaptations.  Back then, I probably would have counted it among the better ones.  And even now, there are still some elements to it that I really like.  I thought some of the actors that were cast did a really a good job as their respective characters.  But since then, a few good video game adaptations have actually come out that have kind of raised the bar.  Also, the CGI in "Mortal Kombat" now looks pretty dated.  I realize that's not the filmmakers fault, but some of those scenes are hard to look at.  The creature version of Reptile, for example.
  I do agree though that  the original "Mortal Kombat" movie is much better than "Annihilation."   That movie was just total, over-the-top cheese.  And why they thought putting "animalities" in the move would be a good idea, is beyond me.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2010, 09:12:33 AM »
^lol at the animalities, even as a kid I thought that stuff was corny & you got these grown people stuffing that shit down our throats (no homo), wtf?! The special effects from the first movie for nowadays standards are plain horrible & outdated but I can get past it cause it ain't as bad as the 2nd movie & I have that conscious which tells me it were different times & allows me to accept it as it is. So yeah, I can get through it, also I think MK is the best video game adaptation. Actually I can't think of any other one that is actually "decent".
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 09:16:42 AM by UKnowWhatItIs »

ToOoOoN!!!

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2010, 09:46:59 AM »
the soundtrack of the first movie was good,MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORTAAAAAAAAL KOOOOOOOOOMBAAAAAAAAAAAT  ;D 8)