Author Topic: Exclusive Styles P Interview  (Read 72 times)

Lunatic

Exclusive Styles P Interview
« on: June 16, 2010, 06:58:06 PM »

http://www.soprupradio.com/?p=5927

SPR hooked up with Styles P for an exclusive interview. A busy man, Styles P released his latest retail mixtape “The Ghost Dub-Dime” on May 18th. Less than two weeks later on June 1st, Styles dropped his first fictional novel, Invincible” through Random House, a release that coincided with the soundtrack also released on June 1st, for sale on www.stylesp.net. Those are our main topics of conversation, but not all we talked about.

We get Styles’ thoughts on the digital age, current New York hip hop, the upcoming highly anticipated LOX reunion album, and more…

Enjoy.

Read Full Interview:
http://www.soprupradio.com/?p=5927
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

Lunatic

Re: Exclusive Styles P Interview
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 06:59:02 PM »
SPR: We’re right here with Styles P! You have “The Ghost Dub-Dime” mixtape that dropped May 18th. Go ahead and tell the readers why you decided to title the mixtape that?

Styles P: That’s my little slang word for 2010. I’m just giving that to y’all. You already know the slang, a dub and a dime. That’s 2010 and I like dubbin’ dimes – put it together and you have “The Ghost Dub-Dime.”

SPR: (Laughs) I like that. You’ve been taking your mixtapes retail as of late through E1. Explain that decision.

Styles P: Hey, Money (laughs). I need to get paid.

SPR: (Laughs) we like you’re honesty on that one.

Styles P: hell yeah (laughs).

SPR: Do you like the direction retail mixtapes is going on? You just dropped one, Gucci Mane and Scarface just dropped their own retail mixtapes. We’re starting to see a trend here.

Styles P: I mean I don’t think it’s a trend for me. I’ve always been into mixtapes and have always done mixtapes. I think it’s a big part of who I am. I don’t make too much radio music all the time. I like to reach out to my fans with mixtapes. Since I’m doing that, why not get paid off it? It’s a little more creative. Why does it always have to be an album that you come out on under retail? You should be able to sell all your music.

SPR: So what do you think about the digital age? Do you like it?

Styles P: I have to try and work with it. I was really against it at first but it’s not going away so I have to work with it. I think it takes some of the culture of the music out and all of that but it’s a way to incorporate your projects and hope that people still get your music digitally.

SPR: Tell the readers about the first single off the mixtape, “Street Life.”

Styles P: That’s me and my man Tyler Woods. I’m just giving you something heartfelt on that one. I wanted to give the people some heartfelt music. It’s something you can relate to, not some organic crap.

SPR: What do you like about Tyler Woods?

Styles P: His soul. He has an old soul and a lot of soul. I hear him and it sounds timeless to me. It just made sense. That was it right there.

SPR: Would you consider him up and coming?

Styles P: I definitely feel he’s up and coming and I think he can blow up. He can sing and produce phenomenally. He’s multi-talented. I think he has a very good chance. He produced the single “Street Life” as well.

SPR: Which other producers do you have on the mixtape?

Styles P: I have a lot but I just dropped the list of producers in the car that I just left. I’m working on so many projects simultaneously that I kind of forget who’s doing what. You can get that list though.

SPR: Thanks. Do you remember any of the features?

Styles P: There is not many features on “The Ghost Dub-Dime.” It’s mainly a Styles P project. My man Tre Williams is on there and a few other people here and there. There aren’t many though.

SPR: I read something else on you – you dropped a book, “Invincible” on June 11st. That’s interesting. What’s that all about?

Styles P: My first fiction novel through Random House. I was looking for something creative to do other than making music and here we are. My first fiction novel dropped on June 1st. There is also a soundtrack that you can exclusively get on www.stylesp.net that was made available on June 1st, the same day as the book.

SPR: Is the soundtrack being sold on www.stylesp.net?

Styles P: Yeah, and it’s cheap. I’m selling it on www.stylesp.net. It dropped the same day as the book.

SPR: You said you’re working on a lot of things at the same time. Give us an update on your next solo album?

Styles P: We’re working on The Lox joint and I’m working on my solo album. Sheek [Louch] and Jada [Jadakiss] are also working on their solo albums. We’re really working just trying to knock everything out. We’ve been really busy. We don’t do music at once. My solo album will drop at the end of this year or the top of next year. I’m just working.

SPR: We’re a while away on that. Will The Lox record come before the end of the year?

Styles P: I don’t know because we’re in the studio doing them all. It really depends on the business and the music to tell you the truth.

SPR: How do you manage to work on so many projects simultaneously?

Styles P: When you’re around talented people and you love music, that’s just what you do. It’s like a job. You go to work every day and put in work. Some things go on one project and some things go to other projects. You just use what makes sense for what.

SPR: I like that. How do you feel about the state of New York hip hop right now?

Styles P: I think it’s spinning back around and pretty good. I think we were doing bad before but we’re back now. We have some young up and coming real gifted artists holding it down. I think we’re right back where we need to be. It was fucked up for a long time though. I think a lot of the real spitters are starting to do it again.

SPR: We really appreciate you’re honesty all throughout this interview Styles. We’re gonna’ end it on that note. I’m thankful for you’re time. We hope everybody cops the mixtape…

Styles P: And June 1st, “Invincible” my fictional novel was released as well.

SPR: And the soundtrack which dropped the same day [June 1st] on www.stylesp.net.

Styles P: No doubt! Thank you for your time brother. If y’all can’t afford it all, get what you can. If you can’t afford none of it, tell somebody else who can.

Blood$

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 07:43:40 PM »
I been bumpin' alotta Styles P in the last 2 days, crazy lol

was that mixtape he dropped any good? "It's Over" is flames and has been getting some play over here

Lunatic

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 08:11:38 PM »
^cool, thanks!

To be honest, E1 sent me to it, but I ain't bumped it yet lol