Author Topic: Scratch is another GREAT hip-hop documentary!  (Read 398 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Scratch is another GREAT hip-hop documentary!
« on: June 28, 2010, 10:03:30 PM »
If your a hip-hop purist or love the culture and all it's 4 elements then you will love this documentary!  I'm a huge fan of hip-hop documentaries, this one ranks very high on the list. 

Off the top of my head I would put this up there in the top 3 of hip-hop documentaries, along with the 1982 PBS document on graffiti Style Wars (which captures a great era in hip-hop where all 4 elements were on par with each other), and I also was a big fan of Russel Simmons documentary The Show, which I think captured hip-hop at a time when the West Coast was on top and for 90's kids like me it was our golden era.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Triple OG Rapsodie

Re: Scratch is another GREAT hip-hop documentary!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 02:10:56 AM »
Freestyle: The Art of Rhyme

rayswift

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 04:00:49 PM »
I think there's a best documentary for a certain element. Planet B-Boy was pretty dope to. I gotta see "Copyright Criminals" its a documentary about producers who sample and how the corporate world destroyed hip hop with the law suits with copyright infringement.

Matty

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 06:03:41 PM »
The Freshest Kids http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0361638/

a lot of good info about the history of 'b-boying'.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 06:22:12 PM »

If I remember correctly Art of Rhyme was pretty dope for what it was, but I think it was a QD3 documentary and QD3 never likes to pay for the rights for any music so sometimes they use video gamish beats in the background of their documentaries, it kind of makes them come off a little cheap; but still they are all worth watching.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 06:23:53 PM »
I think there's a best documentary for a certain element. Planet B-Boy was pretty dope to. I gotta see "Copyright Criminals" its a documentary about producers who sample and how the corporate world destroyed hip hop with the law suits with copyright infringement.

Yeah I need to check out those two. 

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 06:31:40 PM »
The Freshest Kids http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0361638/

a lot of good info about the history of 'b-boying'.

Yeah, I have that one, it is good, although I don't think it's quite as good as Scratch.  Their are a few differences, the Score on Scratch is much better as it features a lot of popular scratches and sounds and classic hip-hop cuts, and the other difference is I think The Freshest Kids turns bitter towards the end as the old school B-boys spend a lot of time bitchin and complainin about how their lives have turned out since the popularity of B-boyin started to die out.

Matty

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010, 06:43:13 PM »
yeah Scratch is really well presented.

i have another one, it's very rare, called 'Underground Dance Masters'. it's not really any of the elements of hip-hop per se, more dances that fall into the 'street dance' umbrella - funk styles. has true OGs talking on the real and so forth. very good. knowledge on this topic is certainly a speciality here 8)

Suga Foot

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 09:18:51 AM »

If I remember correctly Art of Rhyme was pretty dope for what it was, but I think it was a QD3 documentary and QD3 never likes to pay for the rights for any music so sometimes they use video gamish beats in the background of their documentaries, it kind of makes them come off a little cheap; but still they are all worth watching.

That doc is by Kevin Fitzgerald, who is a protege of Charlie Ahearn (and also my cousin's husband). 

StevenQBosell

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2010, 11:06:26 AM »
yeah Scratch is really well presented.

One of the best, in production values, and pacing, which a lot of hip hop documentaries are lacking either one or the other.

...I also was a big fan of Russel Simmons documentary The Show, which I think captured hip-hop at a time when the West Coast was on top and for 90's kids like me it was our golden era.

The Show is one of my all time fav. DVD's ever. Run DMC performing "Together Forever" back when DMC still had his voice was amazing - The Dogg Pound, Wu Tang, BIG in his finest - that shit was perfect for 1994. Another one to check in that time period was Rhyme & Reason... not as awesome as The Show, but not far off, as far as 90's hip hop docs goes.

Tutlock

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 12:39:58 PM »
scratch is fucking great and thanks for mentioning the other documents, i´ll have to check them out

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 09:43:43 PM »

That doc is by Kevin Fitzgerald, who is a protege of Charlie Ahearn (and also my cousin's husband).  

Really?  Tell me more...

...Charlie Ahearn is like hip-hop royalty, because he did probably THE MOST IMPORTANT and PIONEERING hip-hop film of all-time with Fab 5 Freddy, which is Wild Style.  (as I'm sure you already know)

Wild Style may not be a documentary, but if you really want to research hip-hop culture and how it started, it really documents the history of that era as well as any film.