Author Topic: DJ Premier- Overrated or Just Outdated?  (Read 1136 times)

WCoastTillIDie

DJ Premier- Overrated or Just Outdated?
« on: July 18, 2010, 08:56:58 AM »
Probably been debated on here a lot but I want to make it more interesting.  For me, the short answer would be that he's outdated.  He's never changed his sound, it's 2010 and his stuff sounds like it's 98.  Now that's my opinion, and some people also think that but they then say that he's overrated.  People think that Primo is overrated just because he's outdated.  Clearly he is outdated in the mainstream world, with producers like Timbaland, DJ Khaled, Kanye, Pharrell, Just Blaze, Lil John etc. (not saying that these guys are better, but I'm talking in terms of sound.)  If you compare the music that has come out during the last few years to Primo's last few years of making tracks, you can clearly hear a difference between them.  And when you hear them, it sounds like Primo's stuff is totally outdated since you just hear those similar sounding kicks and snares (he's got some different ones but now a days, they sound the same,) and he always uses those 70's samples.  Personally, Primo should change up his style a little bit so that he can attract a bigger audience.  But does having the same sound mean that you're overrated?  Absolutely not.  To me, that's just how great producers are remembered and revered for.  Like when you think of Dr. Dre you think of G-Funk and with Primo you think of his legendary chopping and scratching skills.  So what do you guys think, is Primo overrated or is he just outdated? 

Matty

Re: DJ Premier- Overrated or Just Outdated?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 09:06:26 AM »
neither. good, head nodding hip-hop never goes out of date. he aint the best producer ever or anything, but one of the illest in hip-hop. distinct sound, seriously thumping beats.

woof

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 09:13:46 AM »
thankfully we still have producers like him, i don't care about the rest

WCoastTillIDie

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 09:15:33 AM »
yeah definitely, Primo is hip hop at its purest.  Also, I just realized that he worked with Christiana Aguliera (sp lol.)  Just heard some of those tracks, and I guess you can say that he evolved a bit, so we should consider that whether its hip hop or not.

Matty

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 09:17:38 AM »
his work with christina was crossing a very fine-line and primo came out with flying colours. stayed completely true to his sound and made a cross-over hit. it wouldn't of worked with a lot of r&b singers, she has that vintage diva kind of powerful voice. top-notch production and the other tracks he did on her album were dope too.

WCoastTillIDie

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 09:20:42 AM »
his work with christina was crossing a very fine-line and primo came out with flying colours. stayed completely true to his sound and made a cross-over hit. top-notch production and the other tracks he did on her album were dope too.

yeah but I still think that he changed his style a little bit.  However, I do agree with you.  They ironically make a good combination and I thought that Christina's vocals on the tracks made Primo's beats even better.

Matty

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 09:22:47 AM »
his work with christina was crossing a very fine-line and primo came out with flying colours. stayed completely true to his sound and made a cross-over hit. top-notch production and the other tracks he did on her album were dope too.

yeah but I still think that he changed his style a little bit.  However, I do agree with you.  They ironically make a good combination and I thought that Christina's vocals on the tracks made Primo's beats even better.

check out the 'still dirty' beat and imagine guru rapping on it 8)

WCoastTillIDie

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 09:26:05 AM »

check out the 'still dirty' beat and imagine guru rapping on it 8)

haha I was just actually listening to that song!  And yeah I can definitely imagine Guru on that track but it's always nice to hear some singing on a Primo beat, I think that Christina is the first to actually do that (first I've ever heard.)

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 10:58:43 AM »
True, he's never changed his style, but does that necessarily mean he's outdated? Go listen to Lil Jon or Timbaland, do they actually impress you with their production? Primo can drop a song today that has the same style of one he did 10 years but what's important is that it still bumps.

WCoastTillIDie

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 11:16:32 AM »
True, he's never changed his style, but does that necessarily mean he's outdated? Go listen to Lil Jon or Timbaland, do they actually impress you with their production? Primo can drop a song today that has the same style of one he did 10 years but what's important is that it still bumps.

right I agree, and no those guys don't impress me at all with their production but I'm just comparing the modern "sound" to Primo's that's all.

Soopahigh

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2010, 11:26:20 AM »
i agree with everyone
Does his beats sound the same since 1998 ? Yes
Is he Overrated ? no Outdated ? Hell no

westsiderider323

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2010, 11:29:46 AM »
never overrated or outdated his shit still go hard that latest track he did the beat for Bun B that shit bangs and no one can scratch and sample the way he does premos beats are prolly theeee most recognizable in all of hip hop imo

UKnowWhatItIs: welcome to my traps....game over

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2010, 11:34:06 AM »
Pretty much how I feel.

dameons

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2010, 11:48:38 AM »
His beat he gave Bun B was maaaaaad weak , though .

BOX5 the best poster on this site yell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2010, 01:10:03 PM »
none of those apply to premo yell
got a good woman at home,& this broad i smashed be-foe
but in my dome i'm think'n will it be good as be-foe
ring finger says, to don't pursue it,the "k-9" in me says
"ain't-nothing-to-it, but-to-do-it"/
but if we bang and i get caught OH-BOY-YA!/
i pray to god the wife don't get kelis or elin's lawyer
www.myspace.com/panhandoelrcorp