Author Topic: DJ Premier- Overrated or Just Outdated?  (Read 1106 times)

blunts40sbitches

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • The Realness
Re: DJ Premier- Overrated or Just Outdated?
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2010, 01:37:16 PM »
Outdated???? HELL NO, im still bumping shit Premo made more than 20 years ago, in no way in hell is he outdated........Look at Lil' Jon and his style of production, NOW THATS OUTDATED LIKE A MOTHERFUCKER

Invincible

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2010, 01:54:16 PM »

Bananas

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2010, 02:40:22 PM »
Timeless.

MediumL

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2010, 02:41:56 PM »
He's dope but not the best because he's only stuck to one style.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454</a>

The-Leak (aka) kingwell (bka) JULES

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2010, 07:20:21 PM »
Do you guys know how you can tell when a track was made sometimes just based on the sound [not the mixing] of the beat?   Preme just stayed with his sound, which I like to call "Classic".   You know why Christina fit over Preme's shit?  Cuz she sounds classic, she woulda made it as an artist if she was born 50 years earlier. 

you gon always be my latin queen bitch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2010, 09:43:06 PM »
Overrated a bit but hes dope
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:15 AM By: Ice Cube
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube
gbee:@ Petey: you sound like a broken record, time to grow up.

rhythmalism

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2010, 10:22:44 PM »
DJ Premier is one of the best producers in Hip-Hop period. but lately his beats do sound outdated. The last crazy beat I remember from him was the one for Fat Joe, "that white."

Lucifuge

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2010, 10:51:08 PM »
i never likes him that much. he got some dope beats,but i don like hes same ol same sound.
ALESSANDRO DEL PIERO!!!

Detox 2000Never

tyranasaurus rex like fuck a bitch
i once saw a pterdactyl fuck a bitch
eat a bowl these bitch gobbling dick
hoes forgot to eat a dick a shut the fuck up
roll through crenshaw on my pterdactyl like what up!
By kevin t as Kurupt :D

weedhead

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2010, 10:53:54 PM »
Probably been debated on here a lot but I want to make it more interesting.  For me, the short answer would be that he's outdated.  He's never changed his sound, it's 2010 and his stuff sounds like it's 98.  Now that's my opinion, and some people also think that but they then say that he's overrated.  People think that Primo is overrated just because he's outdated.  Clearly he is outdated in the mainstream world, with producers like Timbaland, DJ Khaled, Kanye, Pharrell, Just Blaze, Lil John etc. (not saying that these guys are better, but I'm talking in terms of sound.)  If you compare the music that has come out during the last few years to Primo's last few years of making tracks, you can clearly hear a difference between them.  And when you hear them, it sounds like Primo's stuff is totally outdated since you just hear those similar sounding kicks and snares (he's got some different ones but now a days, they sound the same,) and he always uses those 70's samples.  Personally, Primo should change up his style a little bit so that he can attract a bigger audience.  But does having the same sound mean that you're overrated?  Absolutely not.  To me, that's just how great producers are remembered and revered for.  Like when you think of Dr. Dre you think of G-Funk and with Primo you think of his legendary chopping and scratching skills.  So what do you guys think, is Primo overrated or is he just outdated? 
Im gonna give all yall some knowledge..u can never lose with the(BOOM BAP)....respect to primo.

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2010, 11:01:47 PM »
Shake This with Royce bangs
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

V2DHeart

« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2010, 05:02:02 AM »
consistent similar sounding producer, terrific DJ
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/JWTNFUWa1PM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/JWTNFUWa1PM</a> <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/eE_ov9cPKxE" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/eE_ov9cPKxE</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/53dftjKPTvU" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/53dftjKPTvU</a>

J-FUNKTION

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2010, 05:39:45 AM »
Probably been debated on here a lot but I want to make it more interesting.  For me, the short answer would be that he's outdated.  He's never changed his sound, it's 2010 and his stuff sounds like it's 98.  Now that's my opinion, and some people also think that but they then say that he's overrated.  People think that Primo is overrated just because he's outdated.  Clearly he is outdated in the mainstream world, with producers like Timbaland, DJ Khaled, Kanye, Pharrell, Just Blaze, Lil John etc. (not saying that these guys are better, but I'm talking in terms of sound.)  If you compare the music that has come out during the last few years to Primo's last few years of making tracks, you can clearly hear a difference between them.  And when you hear them, it sounds like Primo's stuff is totally outdated since you just hear those similar sounding kicks and snares (he's got some different ones but now a days, they sound the same,) and he always uses those 70's samples.  Personally, Primo should change up his style a little bit so that he can attract a bigger audience.  But does having the same sound mean that you're overrated?  Absolutely not.  To me, that's just how great producers are remembered and revered for.  Like when you think of Dr. Dre you think of G-Funk and with Primo you think of his legendary chopping and scratching skills.  So what do you guys think, is Primo overrated or is he just outdated? 
wait....who thinks g-funk when they hear dr.dre? last time i put the 2 together was 14 years ago...

you gon always be my latin queen bitch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2010, 06:30:06 AM »
This was part of the alchemist debate i had b4..alc is dope but he aint nuthin special imo and primos input n muzik n general is better than alc
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:15 AM By: Ice Cube
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube
gbee:@ Petey: you sound like a broken record, time to grow up.

Beatzz

• 'G'
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2010, 06:44:30 AM »
It seems he sticks to the same formula for his production to stay consistent. Maybe hes smart enough to not try too much stuff out of his comfort zone like Kanye or Timbaland.

13th Duke

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2010, 08:21:34 AM »
Neither overrated or outdated.

He has earned his place as one of the greatest producers of all time in Hip-Hop, and because his particular sound is so synonomous with what underground hip-hop personifies, he will never sound outdated. Even his production from back in 1995 or even earlier sounds just as fresh now.

And he's still making great music today.

Nothing wrong with sticking to a formula. Its HIS SOUND. HE CREATED IT.

To continue to point made by Beatzz, if Timbaland and Kanye stuck to THEIR own sound they created rather than copying others and chasing hit singles for money, they wouldnt be the laughing stocks they are right now.