Author Topic: A-Rod Hits His 600th Home Run  (Read 302 times)

MistaNova

A-Rod Hits His 600th Home Run
« on: August 05, 2010, 07:07:11 AM »
NEW YORK -- Alex Rodriguez hit his 600th career home run on Wednesday at Yankee Stadium.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ot4ZpuCoLrs" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Ot4ZpuCoLrs</a>

Alex Rodriguez ended a 46 at-bat homerless skid to reach the 600 Club on Wednesday.
Rodriguez hit a two-run homer to straightaway center field in the first inning of a game against the Toronto Blue Jays, off Shaun Marcum. It came on a 2-0 pitch over the middle of the plate with Derek Jeter on first and two out.

At 35 years, 8 days, Rodriguez became the youngest player in history to join the 600 Club, and the seventh player in baseball history to reach the milestone.

He raised a hand slightly in triumph as he rounded first base, then completed his home run trot. He joined an elite club that includes Barry Bonds (762), Henry Aaron (755), Babe Ruth (714), Willie Mays (660), Ken Griffey Jr. (630) and Sammy Sosa (609). After Rodriguez, the next-youngest member of the 600 Club is its first -- Ruth, at 36 years, 196 days.

"[I'm] definitely glad it's over and I definitely enjoyed that moment and enjoyed the win," he said after the game, a 5-1 Yankees victory that prevented a Toronto three-game series sweep. "We needed a win today ... we needed to stop the bleeding a little bit. That's a very good team over there."

Of the seven players with 600 homers, Rodriguez's 46 at-bats between No. 599 and No. 600 were the longest. His 600th homer ended a 12-game homerless slump and came exactly three years to the day after his 500th homer.

Entering Thursday's game, Rodriguez was 4-for-17 against Marcum with one career homer off the right-hander.

Rodriguez's 17th homer of the season sailed over the center-field wall and landed in Monument Park. The ball was retrieved by a Yankees security guard and will be returned to Rodriguez.

As he rounded the bases, he was treated to a standing ovation from the crowd at Yankee Stadium. After he touched home plate he was embraced by Jeter, who had scored ahead of him, and by the next batter, Robinson Cano.

All of Rodriguez's teammates -- many of whom had raised their arms in joy when he finally connected -- then came out of the dugout to embrace him. After they had all retreated to the dugout, Rodriguez returned for his own curtain call.

"Congratulations to Alex on this great achievement and on adding another highlight to Yankees history. We are especially proud he accomplished this feat as a Yankee and here before the most loyal fans in baseball," team co-owner Hal Steinbrenner said of the achievement.

Rodriguez had gone 46 at-bats between home runs Nos. 599 and 600 -- 25 more than Willie Mays, who needed 21 at-bats to reach the milestone in 1970.

Read the rest here: http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/news/story?id=5437158

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
Re: A-Rod Hits His 600th Home Run
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 09:02:16 AM »
Great achievement, proud of him. Good to see him do it in pinstripes too.

I wish him the best of luck at Bonds record.

theremedy360

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 10:28:44 AM »
A Rod we barely knew ya  :'( :'(

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 12:37:21 PM »
a rod is a fag but i gotta give my respects for hitting 600, he will probably be above sosa by the end of the season, and will pass griffey next year...

MistaNova

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 09:10:05 PM »
Now that A-Rod's record is done, I'm hoping that Ichiro hits 200 hits again (only 2 more seasons until he passes Rose's record) and either Miguel Cabrera or Albert Pujols gets the Triple Crown. Okay, the second sounds a little far-fetched but it would be interesting.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 09:31:25 PM »
^I feel the Triple Crown in this day & age is nearly impossible.

You got guys that bat like .230 but hit like 45 HRs; just pure power hitters; Howard, Dunn, etc.

Then you got guys who hit for pure average; like Ichiro.

Then guys like Cabrera & Pujols who do it all, but can't outdo the guys who hit purely for power; but I'm rooting for it, would love to see it in my lifetime.

MistaNova

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 10:07:05 PM »

You got guys that bat like .230 but hit like 45 HRs; just pure power hitters; Howard, Dunn, etc.

Then guys like Cabrera & Pujols who do it all, but can't outdo the guys who hit purely for power; but I'm rooting for it, would love to see it in my lifetime.

Yeah everyone's got their own territory, but if memory recall's Cabrera's got it locked for RBI. Dunno how Pujols has been lately though. Still, this season has had a lot of happenings. A-Rod's 600th homer, the National League winning the all-star game for the first time in 14 years, 5 (technically 6) no-hitter games (to date) and the Rockies hitting 11 consecutive hits in a single inning (the new MLB-record). Someone getting a TC would be the perfect icing for the cake.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 10:10:09 PM by Iveus »

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 10:36:10 PM »
^Very true; it's been an ill year. 8)

But Jose Batista is fucking with Miguel in the HR category.

MistaNova

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 11:11:19 PM »
Just checked the latest MLB stats and Cabrera's 6th in HRs (with 7 HRs less than Bautista) & 2nd in AVG (0.011 behind Hamilton), bummer :(.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 11:13:20 PM »
^He's just a 2-4 game to a Hamilton 0-4 game to take the average.

But I can't see him taking HRs.

MistaNova

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2010, 04:51:13 AM »
But I can't see him taking HRs.

Well I never thought I'd see Bengie Molina get a hit for the cycle, so who knows?

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2010, 05:08:50 AM »

howard batting .292 ,... dunn .277  :P

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2010, 12:16:13 PM »

howard batting .292 ,... dunn .277  :P

You know what I mean. :)

you gon always be my latin queen bitch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2010, 01:49:26 PM »
Muffuccaz will always hate arod=the best
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:15 AM By: Ice Cube
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube
gbee:@ Petey: you sound like a broken record, time to grow up.

The Come Up Shuffle

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2010, 07:41:43 PM »