Author Topic: Coffee Tells 49ers He Intends to Retire  (Read 253 times)

when it rains it pours

Coffee Tells 49ers He Intends to Retire
« on: August 13, 2010, 05:35:56 PM »
At the conclusion of Friday’s only training camp practice of the day, Mike Singletary announced that second-year running back Glen Coffee informed the 49ers he intends to retire from the National Football League.

Coffee released this statement through the team earlier on Friday:

“This has been a tough decision for me to make, but at this time in my life I feel it is best for me that I move on from football. I appreciate what the 49ers, my teammates and coaches have done for me, and I wish them a blessed season and all the best in the future.”

Singletary met with Coffee Friday morning and the two discussed the difficult decision.

“Glen informed us this morning of his intent to no longer play the game of football,” Singletary said. “I respect that. I appreciate everything that he’s done for the 49ers and whatever the issues are, I’m not going to go into all of the other stuff. You will have to talk to Glen about that. But I appreciate his honesty and I appreciate him not coming out here and going through the motions.”

Singletary insisted that the news of the day won’t become a distraction to his players and their goals for the upcoming season.

“I was telling someone just a little while ago that this has been one of the best weeks that we’ve had, and the reason why is because we have adversity. When you have to deal with adversity it allows you to focus. It would be very easy to go through the entire offseason and go through training camp without facing any adversity at all, and go into the season and you have one setback and think, ‘Oh my goodness, how are we going to deal with that?’ We can deal with anything. We’re dealing with this in stride and continuing to have our best practice, the guys are continuing to be enthusiastic about what they are thinking about, their focus. I think our guys understand, we’re going to have some adversity and when we do the most important thing is how we deal with it. We respond, and we move forward.”

Singletary called Coffee an “exceptional young man” adding, “I hold him in very high regard.”

Coffee was slated to be the 49ers No. 2 running back, and Singletary indicated that rookie Anthony Dixon and veteran Michael Robinson would be in competition to assume that position.

“(Dixon) is going to step into the same role,” Singletary said. “He and Coffee were competing to see who that backup guy was going to be. And right now, it really forces Dixon to grow up really quick. It’s one of those things where he is going to take more snaps; he’s going to get more of the workload.

“I would say right now we are just going to go through this process and see what we come up with in the personnel department and just go forward with that and let things continue to work themselves out.”

.:DaYg0sTyLz:.

Re: Coffee Tells 49ers He Intends to Retire
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 06:57:46 PM »
Yeah I just read this. Crazy, came out of nowhere.
"...and these niggas gettin tattoo tears...industry Bloods that show fear, when the authentics are near"

Lunatic

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 11:10:36 AM »
Wtf he's 23 wtf he gonna do?
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

bigo8160

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 05:17:59 PM »
I read somewhere that he's going to become a minister. Higher calling ...

.:DaYg0sTyLz:.

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 06:50:42 PM »
I read somewhere that he's going to become a minister. Higher calling ...

Ahhh....takin the old Napoleon Kaufman route.....

So Coffee goes from being a San Francisco 49er....to being a minister?

He goes performing on Sundays in front of a bunch of fuckin wierdos.....to.....performing on Sundays in front of a bunch of fuckin....wierdos....
"...and these niggas gettin tattoo tears...industry Bloods that show fear, when the authentics are near"

when it rains it pours

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 10:05:07 PM »
im not mad at him, do yo thing but i wouldnt be surprised if we see if back on another roster in a few years