Author Topic: Help Bring Tim Burton/Keaton Back to do a Batman Beyond Movie! Please Read  (Read 677 times)

JohnnyL

I was the one that suggested they end off the Burton/Keaton series with Dark Knight Returns, but I do agree that Year One and Killing Joke was MUCH better than Dark Knight Returns. I suggested ending with Dark Knight Returns because Burton has stated that DKR was his influence for Batman. He could follow one of two paths, go with the colorful 1960's Batman, or do something darker, and DKR was the direction he went. So in 2002/3 I though why not end it with the say Burton started his thought process.

If you noticed, Nolan didn't copy the stories but he used Year One and Killing Joke as his influences for Batman Begins and the Dark Knight. You can see the Year One influence all over Batman Begins, down to Jim Gordon's look and the end were he hands Batman the Joker card. In Dark Knight, Heath Ledger who never read the Batman comics was handed the Killing Joke as the example of the Joker Nolan was looking for. Obviously Nolan did not follow the Killing Joke, but he wanted Ledger to be of that character for the Joker.

As I said, I originally thought that rebooting the Keaton/Burton series was a great idea in 2002/3, but once Batman Begins came out I basically thought to just leave it alone. I will say this, a DKR movie would make a more futuristic Batman, complete with a stronger suit, and it's sequel can lead to Batman Begins. I use to like Batman Begins, so it's not far off to think a DKR move would then lead to a Batman Beyond movie.

I got ya.  And for the record, I agree with most of what you're saying here.  I'm not saying that it wouldn't work.  (I think Shallow is, at least with Burton. lol.)  I'm just saying that I don't know if it would at this point.  I kind of agree with you that had they tried it around '02 or '03 it would have had a better chance of working.  I still think that a "Dark Knight Returns" movie could work, but they would have to make a point of separating it from Nolan's established Batman universe and make it clear to everyone that it's it's own thing.  To me the easiest way to do this would be to do a more literal interpretation ala Zach Snyder's "300" or Robert Rodreguez's "Sin City", where it looks like the actual comic page has been brought to life, rather than a more realistic adaptation like what Christopher Nolan would do.  I think it's possible that we may see a movie adaptation of "Dark Knight Returns," but it probably wouldn't be until after Nolan finishes his Batman trilogy.
 As far as "Batman Begins," you're definitely right about it being heavily influenced by "Batman: Year One."  It also took a lot of ideas from Jeph Loeb's "Batman: The Long Halloween."  And even though it isn't a literal adaptation of either one of those stories, I was very happy with the way "Batman Begins" turned out.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 07:39:22 AM by JohnnyL »

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
I was the one that suggested they end off the Burton/Keaton series with Dark Knight Returns, but I do agree that Year One and Killing Joke was MUCH better than Dark Knight Returns. I suggested ending with Dark Knight Returns because Burton has stated that DKR was his influence for Batman. He could follow one of two paths, go with the colorful 1960's Batman, or do something darker, and DKR was the direction he went. So in 2002/3 I though why not end it with the say Burton started his thought process.

If you noticed, Nolan didn't copy the stories but he used Year One and Killing Joke as his influences for Batman Begins and the Dark Knight. You can see the Year One influence all over Batman Begins, down to Jim Gordon's look and the end were he hands Batman the Joker card. In Dark Knight, Heath Ledger who never read the Batman comics was handed the Killing Joke as the example of the Joker Nolan was looking for. Obviously Nolan did not follow the Killing Joke, but he wanted Ledger to be of that character for the Joker.

As I said, I originally thought that rebooting the Keaton/Burton series was a great idea in 2002/3, but once Batman Begins came out I basically thought to just leave it alone. I will say this, a DKR movie would make a more futuristic Batman, complete with a stronger suit, and it's sequel can lead to Batman Begins. I use to like Batman Begins, so it's not far off to think a DKR move would then lead to a Batman Beyond movie.

I got ya.  And for the record, I agree with most of what you're saying here.  I'm not saying that it wouldn't work.  (I think Shallow is, at least with Burton. lol.)  I'm just saying that I don't know if it would at this point.  I kind of agree with you that had they tried it around '02 or '03 it would have had a better chance of working.  I still think that a "Dark Knight Returns" movie could work, but they would have to make a point of separating it from Nolan's established Batman universe and make it clear to everyone that it's it's own thing.  To me the easiest way to do this would be to do a more literal interpretation ala Zach Snyder's "300" or Robert Rodreguez's "Sin City", where it looks like the actual comic page has been brought to life, rather than a more realistic adaptation like what Christopher Nolan would do.  I think it's possible that we may see a movie adaptation of "Dark Knight Returns," but it probably wouldn't be until after Nolan finishes his Batman trilogy.
 As far as "Batman Begins," you're definitely right about it being heavily influenced by "Batman: Year One."  It also took a lot of ideas from Jeph Loeb's "Batman: The Long Halloween."  And even though it isn't a literal adaptation of either one of those stories, I was very happy with the way "Batman Begins" turned out.

I'm not saying it couldn't work. I'm just saying I'd hate it. But it could very well end up being a smash hit film with Keaton and Burton. The nostalgia alone would give it a huge opening weekend. Hell, I might even go see it.

The Watcher

I'd rather see Tim Burton remake Casablanca with Michael Cera as Rick Blaine and Mr T as Ilsa than ever let him near a Batman property again.
army of the pharaohs never make love songs
we finger fuck bitches with freddy krueger gloves on
- celph titled

"lol infact lmao" - Proof of D12

anticipate the shots like obama at the podium
- joe budden

Bananas

I'd love another Tim Burton Batman.