Author Topic: Dubcnn: Video Interview With DJ Premier, Speaks on MC Eiht's album & West Coast  (Read 696 times)

Nima - Dubcnn.com

www.dubcnn.com

Dubcnn had the opportunity to briefly link up with one of Hip-Hop's greatest producers, DJ Premier. Primo has had a rough year in which he suffered the loss of his long time partner Guru, with whom he created some of Hip-Hop's timeless classic music as the duo Gangstarr.

We caught up with him at Rock The Bells in San Francisco last week to get a few words on MC Eiht's upcoming album "Which Way Iz West", which is executive produced by DJ Premier. He tells us about linking up with Eiht in the early 90's and the reasons for which he wanted to get behind this album.

He also gives a few shout outs to West Coast artists, from the up and comers like Young Maylay, Jay Rock, Nipsey Hussle to the OG's like WC, Tha Chill, Monstah O (Boo Yah T.R.I.B.E), the Maad Circle and Ice Cube.

Watch our conversation with Primo below:

Exclusive Interview With DJ Premier (Rock The Bells 2010) (Video)

Transcript:

"I wanted to work with MC Eiht, because we had worked together before on Compton's Most Wanted, I did a remix for them back in 1992, it was called "Def Wish" remix. There was an East Coast remix and a West Coast remix and I did the East Coast remix. That was just messing around, but I've been a big fan of Eiht's style, his rhyme style, his "gyeah" and all that.

We met a long time ago in Long Beach at a show that we did together in 1989. That was my first time in Cali on that level of seeing Cali go down, like, a lot of things backstage - I'll just leave it at that. A lot of things popping off backstage and at the end of the day, he told me he was coming out as a new artist, I saw his video probably like a week later on one of the video channels in New York, I was blown away by his style! "One Time Gaffled Em Up", I've been a fan ever since and every album is consistent. His acting in Menace II Society showed that he was g'd up with that too.

He's just official man so it's like let's get it in, we ain't gotta say nothing to each other. We can just be like "Yeah, send me the album, let's get it!" Not just as a friend or a look out, but I understand his substance, he understands mine, so let's put it out and make it funky for the audience that already understands it! Anybody else that wants to join in, get it when they get it!

We're all about the people that already get what time it is with this adult G shit. Period point blank. Adult G shit. They told me it was a new category, adult something Hip-Hop, which is fine, but we'll just call it adult G shit. Kids ain't ready to be a G even though you wanna be and you act like it. Acting is one thing, being is another. Dubcnn big ups, MC eight big ups, shouts out to my man Tha Chill, that's my dude.

Shouts out to Young Maylay man, that dude is a lyrical problem. On the West Coast you got your Jay Rock's, you got all of them coming, my homie from 60's, Nipsey Hussle shouts out to him. But Maylay is a problem man and WC is a problem." - DJ Premier.

Rud

• Kingdingaling
  • Connected
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
props nima!

Westcoast News Network // www.dubcnn.com // Westcoast News Network

westside159

premo & eiht stay dope 8)

Hoodlum204

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Thats Why I Fucked Your Bitch!!
maylay is a problem!!....Thats Cool.

StrEiht Up Menace

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • i hav a massive dick
never saw thios before

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
What the fuck is this shit ya'll listening to on the radio now at days? You call that shit Hip Hop? That's some fagget bitch shit ya'll listening to. All you DJs are letting the program directors handcuff you and sit there and tell you how to mix? You fuckin' robots. FUCK YA'LL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Invincible, I see you!

Invincible

What the fuck is this shit ya'll listening to on the radio now at days? You call that shit Hip Hop? That's some fagget bitch shit ya'll listening to. All you DJs are letting the program directors handcuff you and sit there and tell you how to mix? You fuckin' robots. FUCK YA'LL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Invincible, I see you!

Haha, guess who stickied this?  ;D

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
A moderator wit great taste in Hip Hop. Word up, haha!

westside159

So Well & Made In Compton are both dope cuts  8) 8)

sprite

Premier is the man... he's not one of those punk haters

Anunikke

So no more flo rida interviews?
Good move dubcnn

Native American

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • 2o11
nice, thanks for the look 8)
EVERY LAST ONE OF ''Y-O-U'' BELIEVE THAT DR. DRE HAS MADE THESE SONG's FOR ''Y-O-U''.
THE REALITY IS THAT THE SONG's ARE ''ABOUT Y-O-U'' !!!!!!

westside159

album needs to drop soon

Okka

Thanks for the interview. I was just watchin WC's "Bandana Swangin" DVD. DJ Premier is on it and so is Guru, they both give a lot of props to WC.

StrEiht Up Menace

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • i hav a massive dick
wat was the release date for this?
i was browsin some euro forum and they said the 28th of Dec