Author Topic: Whats this bout jeter the cheater?  (Read 1127 times)

you gon always be my latin queen bitch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Whats this bout jeter the cheater?
« on: September 16, 2010, 05:42:26 PM »
Hes a cheater cuz hes dope
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:15 AM By: Ice Cube
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube
gbee:@ Petey: you sound like a broken record, time to grow up.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
Re: Whats this bout jeter the cheater?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 11:56:03 PM »
He faked getting hit by a pitch; I dig it. 8)

theremedy360

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 12:50:50 AM »
I don't blame him for taking the base, any smart ball player woulda done that. But the fact that he sat there and grimaced (while holding a part of his arm that wasn't close to being hit) and cried to the medical staff made him look like a bitch.

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 03:01:21 AM »
Derek Jeter Cheated. So What?

by Alex Remington - September 16, 2010

All the way back in April, I wrote about an incident in which A.J. Pierzynski faked being hit by a pitch and went to first base. Rob Neyer called him out for lying his way to first base — cheating — and suggested that baseball ought to have a punishment mechanism to punish players who succeed by lying. It’s worth thinking about, as I wrote: “It’s bush league, it’s unsportsmanlike, it delays the game, and it creates a major moral hazard problem, because it incentivizes every other player to lie.”

So guess who else was incentivized to lie? Derek Jeter. Last night, in the middle of the worst season of his career, Jeter turned away from an inside pitch which glanced off his bat and then brushed his uniform, then hopped away in pain, got checked out by the Yankee trainer, and then went to first base. In the clubhouse afterwards, Jeter admitted the ball hit his bat and he was “acting” for the benefit of the umpire, saying: “I’m not going to tell him, ‘I’m not going to go to first,’ you know? My job is to get on base.” Because he’s Derek Jeter, he has been mostly applauded for his bravado. Tampa Bay manager Joe Maddon, whose team was victimized on the play, said, “I wish our guys would do the same thing.” ESPN analyst Tim Kurkjian said it was brilliant, that whether you called it lying or cheating, Derek Jeter was simply doing his job to get to first base by any means necessary.

But wait a minute. By any means necessary? Haven’t we had to endure a decade’s worth of holier-than-thou sanctimony condemning the notion that “any means” are acceptable? Part of the praise is directed at Jeter because, of course, he’s Derek Jeter. Pierzynski is an unpopular player, so when he lied his way on base, he was called out for it by me and others. When Jeter did it, he was praised by the opposing manager. Jeter’s the kind of guy about whom ESPN’s Gene Wojciechowski can write:

Jeter’s name is where I draw the line in the PED sand. He is the absolute last guy I’d ever suspect of juicing. It seems so, well, beneath him. He is the one player who I actually think would walk away from the game if he thought he had to cheat to compete.

Now, of course, we know that Jeter does cheat to compete. Look, I’m not trying to write yet another post complaining about how sportswriters turn their brains off when it comes to Derek Jeter. Instead, I think this illustrates, once again, that the way that we approach the notion of cheating is seriously misguided. The steroid era imparted two valuable lessons: everyone has the incentive to cheat, and unless you cheat with steroids, no one cares. Earlier this season, the Philadelphia Phillies were accused of cheating by stealing signs, and officially warned by Major League Baseball, and the furor died down more or less immediately.

As Bill James recently wrote, breaking the rules may not be the worst thing in the world: “We are not a nation of Hall Monitors; we are a nation that tortures Hall Monitors. We are people who push the rules.” Babe Ruth broke the rules. Everyone breaks the rules. But we should acknowledge that there are rules, and we should agree on what it means to break them. Cheating is when you do something against the rules for your personal gain. Steroids have been banned; so have corked bats, spitballs, emery boards, amphetamines, and outfield telescopes. Lying to an umpire is effectively cheating: it’s trying to take credit for something you didn’t do. And when two players cheat in exactly the same way — like Pierzynski and Jeter, or bat-corkers Babe Ruth and Albert Belle — they should be held to the same standard.

MistaNova

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 06:59:28 AM »
People fake injuries all the time, sounds to me like a bunch of Rays fans are just scared of Jeter (and the Yankees) becoming the AL East champions again.

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 08:26:11 AM »
Oh okay.  So divers in soccer are a big reason why people call the sport a "pussy" sport but in baseball it is applauded. 

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 10:05:28 AM »
Oh okay.  So divers in soccer are a big reason why people call the sport a "pussy" sport but in baseball it is applauded. 

lmao

Jeter was inches away from being hit by a fastball....no soccer player can fathom that
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 10:15:51 AM »
The acting is what I'm referring to.  No soccer player can fathom that, because they don't play baseball. Duh lol. 

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 02:51:08 PM »
LOL, why do you think this made the news & is thread worthy? It rarely happens, I honestly can't name you another instance off the top of my head where somebody faked it.

If we made a thread everytime a Soccer player faked getting hurt, there would be 30 threads about just one match lol.

& like Hack said, he was almost hit by a 90+ mph fastball, Soccer players fall because they are upset somebody is shutting them down on defense & can't break away.

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 03:36:25 PM »
Soccer players fake it or make it look worse to get fouls called. It isn't because somebody is shutting them down.  My point is people were shitting so hard on the actors in soccer yet Jeter is being applauded for literally the same thing.  Same way how sometimes you can't avoid getting hit by a fastball, you can't avoid a tackle.  Both sports can offer some serious injuries, just recently look what happened to Valencia of Manchester United.  And then in baseball you got what happened to Carlos Santana.  I don't know why it a constant dick measuring contests when it comes to sports. 

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 05:08:53 PM »
Soccer players fake it or make it look worse to get fouls called. It isn't because somebody is shutting them down.  My point is people were shitting so hard on the actors in soccer yet Jeter is being applauded for literally the same thing.  Same way how sometimes you can't avoid getting hit by a fastball, you can't avoid a tackle.  Both sports can offer some serious injuries, just recently look what happened to Valencia of Manchester United.  And then in baseball you got what happened to Carlos Santana.  I don't know why it a constant dick measuring contests when it comes to sports. 

I typed in "Baseball acting/Baseball Players acting" & one video came up of some college game of a pretty bad "fake" thing. The funny thing is, the video under it was a Soccer video. There must be something in Youtube that registers "player" & "acting" as automatically something Soccer related lol.

Anyway, I applaud it because I love the Yankees, Jeter is having a rough year, we're fighting for the division & Jeter pulled a fast one. If players did this on a nightly basis, I'd hate it. But it never happens & the one time it does happen it's for my team & it was followed by a 2 run homerun, if I'm not mistaken. But Soccer is just every other player, grasping their knee like it's some career ending shit & then on some fastbreak literally minutes later, they are running all out full speed like a fuckin' gazelle lol.

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 05:17:13 PM »

I typed in "Baseball acting/Baseball Players acting" & one video came up of some college game of a pretty bad "fake" thing. The funny thing is, the video under it was a Soccer video. There must be something in Youtube that registers "player" & "acting" as automatically something Soccer related lol.

Anyway, I applaud it because I love the Yankees, Jeter is having a rough year, we're fighting for the division & Jeter pulled a fast one. If players did this on a nightly basis, I'd hate it. But it never happens & the one time it does happen it's for my team & it was followed by a 2 run homerun, if I'm not mistaken. But Soccer is just every other player, grasping their knee like it's some career ending shit & then on some fastbreak literally minutes later, they are running all out full speed like a fuckin' gazelle lol.

You are mistaken, it isn't every other player.  And the reasons people act out in soccer is because refs have a really hard time seeing what's a foul and what isn't(personally that's still not a good excuse).  The game is usually played at a fast speed, so the ref can't catch everything.  Even with this in mind, majority of players and fans do not like it and it is frowned upon.  In fact, different cultures and leagues view it differently.  The South American leagues and countries usually have more actors there compared to Europe in general.  I can go for literally different leagues within each region, but it'll be too much.  Point is it is not something that every other players does and even in leagues where it is more common...it's still not acceptable. 

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 05:23:29 PM »
^Yeah, but bottom line is that acting is still a major part of the Soccer culture. So even if it's frowned upon & maybe not every player does it; but it does happen at least once a game. I mean, I'm just speculating but honestly, it has to happen at least once a game, right? So I mean games can be won & lost because some teams have better actors than others, that's silly, in my opinion.

Not that all games are won & lost based off of whether a ref makes a call or not, but theorhetically, that could be the case.

The closest thing that comes to acting besides what we see with Jeter here, which never happens, is occasionally Lou Pinella flipping out on an umpire; which is beyond entertaining lol.

That's why Basketball can be silly too, when players are throwing their arms in the air for calls, while spiraling out of the control.

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2010, 05:27:27 PM »
Games are mainly won by tactics and players, then I would say ref mistakes.  I saw pretty much every World Cup game, and that didn't happen.  The closest one was Ghana vs Uruguay but that game overall was tactically driven. 

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2010, 05:29:34 PM »
Games are mainly won by tactics and players, then I would say ref mistakes.  I saw pretty much every World Cup game, and that didn't happen.  The closest one was Ghana vs Uruguay but that game overall was tactically driven. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't one of the tactics, "fall on your face & throw your arms up if you don't get the call"? :P