Author Topic: Kanye West - Runaway (Short Film)  (Read 352 times)

TRG

Kanye West - Runaway (Short Film)
« on: October 23, 2010, 11:51:34 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/O7W0DMAx8FY" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/O7W0DMAx8FY</a>

.:Hercy Buggz:.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
Re: Kanye West - Runaway (Short Film)
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 01:23:51 AM »
alot of people will hate on this but I think Kanye West is a genius! alot of messages on this video

Elano

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 03:04:00 AM »
LMFAO kanye is a genius

Dogg Ly Dogg

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 03:54:44 AM »
alot of people will hate on this but I think Kanye West is a genius! alot of messages on this video

Tell me what messages then? Just asking because even if I liked that weird short film to me there's no message nor purposes

Hatesrats™

• Tha Drunk Gem-in-I
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Gz Up, Hoes Down"
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 09:22:10 AM »
"Devil In A New Dress" is still my fav track released thus far...
This video was weird as fuck, So Kanye Was/Is fucking a Turkey?

operation stackola

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 03:27:00 PM »
I really like this (watched it a couple times). It's pretty much just a love story w/ undertones of society rejecting things that are against the grain or different. 'Ye saves the Phoenix, tries to conform her to have society accept her as his love; obviously, this fails, so she goes home. Didn't quite understand some of the parts of the dinner scene (like the ballerinas, wtf?). U know it's a great piece of work when it makes you think, though.

operation stackola

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 03:55:24 PM »
Another thing I picked up on: the animals in the video are ones that are hunted by humans. So, it's symbolism of the Phoenix's character. Prolly lookin' too deep, I'm high. Oh, and those other two tracks, the one w/ Cudi and the one w/ John Legend sound real nice, too.

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 08:46:09 PM »
It's about many things at once.  It's a metaphor for his career while reflecting on soceital norms, history, creativity, etc.

His career is like that of a phoenix.  It has a high point where he is on fire and then, part of the journey as a celebrity, is being destroyed but a phoenix is known to die and return.  Though, more likely, there was a woman or women in Kanye's life that are his creative sources. 

The entire scene with the hooded men is a chrsitian ceremony for rebirth.

The michael jackson parade float during this at once homage to the king of pop while claiming the throne.

He touches on racism in the dinner hall even if he is denying it in interviews (or he's ignorant of the tones in scene itself and someone is ghosting the video for him).  Though, I doubt he's ignorant of it.  Based on recent interviews he experiences a lot of racism for his poor decision to mic jack taylor swift.  This is him spitting back in their face.

I didn't catch that before about the animals but that makes sense.

I'm reminded of 50's last album title "before i self destruct"  When doing press rounds on the album 50 said he felt that Interscope built him up only to tear him down because they sought pleasure in both.   Where as 50's album didn't touch on that theme all that much, the comments concerning his career are similar to the commentary in Kanye's Runaway.
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

CHUCK KNOXXX

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • FUCK LOVE & FUCK THE WORLD
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 09:25:10 PM »
if nothing else can be taken away from the short film, is that the album is gonna be nothing short of dope, maybe even great. i think its pretty undeniable....you can really appreciate the songs more when their played in the context of the movie, some really good music going on here, pun intended....
http://www.facebook.com/AllAngles818 
CLICK ALBUM COVERS TO DOWNLOAD

RingMan

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • BWS Czech Capo
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 11:45:57 AM »
I liked, partly because it was shot in our country and because their used this fucking dope (Czech) car :D ...but the story and visuals were pretty nice as well, and Kanye explains some of the messages in interview with Sway on MTV

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/BV81LoqJjdM" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/BV81LoqJjdM</a>

Rap is not real, I don't care what they told you,
Fake people say fake things in their vocalbooth
- Soul Position - Mic Control

I make it hard to read me, graffiti flow - Rakim - Word On The Streets

R1ZE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Do 4 Love
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 01:18:17 AM »
This is art. Y'all said it, the mans a genius.

TBH I think Kanye might be a better director than rapper, I enjoyed the video more than the music.