Author Topic: Detox to have an eastcoast sound ??????  (Read 1122 times)

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
Re: Detox to have an eastcoast sound ??????
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2010, 08:09:25 AM »
At this point, I don't care what kind of sound it has,
just as long as it is NOT the following:

sparse, plodding drums, with just a kick drum and an echoey snare
with a few piano notes, and some dark keyboard string stabs

If it's an album full of the same thing we've been hearing for 5 years, I'll scream.
I would literally rather it be 80s Bulgarian disco-trance or some shit, ANYTHING except the plodding slow piano stuff.
lol!  :laugh:

well whatever direction he takes, it will sound like Dre, in other words: simple ;)

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2010, 08:16:14 AM »

If it's an album full of the same thing we've been hearing for 5 years, I'll scream.
I would literally rather it be 80s Bulgarian disco-trance or some shit, ANYTHING except the plodding slow piano stuff.

well whatever direction he takes, it will sound like Dre, in other words: simple ;)

Maybe he'll strip the sound down even further, so it's just one huge repeating clap sound

Unforgivable by Sean John

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2010, 10:28:16 AM »

Maybe he'll strip the sound down even further, so it's just one huge repeating clap sound

I like how dre spend like 2 years in the middle of the 2000's studying music theory, and then comes out of it making the kind of beats you described. I guess despite his knowledge of music theory, his ear for good music has been totally corrupted. If he thinks that 3 piano notes and 2 bars of plodding drums looped for 4 minutes straight is good music then honestly Detox might not be that hot. Maybe he needs that legendary 'ear' he had in the 90s back, more so than he needs Scott Storch back...

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2010, 10:43:46 AM »

I like how dre spend like 2 years in the middle of the 2000's studying music theory, and then comes out of it making the kind of beats you described. I guess despite his knowledge of music theory, his ear for good music has been totally corrupted. If he thinks that 3 piano notes and 2 bars of plodding drums looped for 4 minutes straight is good music then honestly Detox might not be that hot. Maybe he needs that legendary 'ear' he had in the 90s back, more so than he needs Scott Storch back...
but his instrumentals were always simple

dameons

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2010, 10:50:39 AM »
Sounds like he has heard the negative feedback and has changed directions . The beats will be hard , mixed with " I've been doing this for years , I'm a legend , not a gangster anymore but i will shoot you" lyrics ...Guaranteed

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2010, 11:00:26 AM »
His genius before was picking really dope samples and having them replayed and mixed fantastically, and adding bits and pieces, or combining other samples with them

He can still make dope beats, but it must take a LOT longer because instead of going through records that already exist and picking out dope bits, he MAKES loads of records and then shifts through them for the best ones

Also, when you replay a sample, you can still copy the funk and swing of the original sample, because the sample was the jumping off point... but when you start by making a slow kick and clap, then it's plodding to begin with

Matty

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2010, 11:02:12 AM »
2nd beat in the latest beats ad = east coast style drums. also, beat in the HP ad with stat quo.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2010, 11:09:36 AM »
His genius before was picking really dope samples and having them replayed and mixed fantastically, and adding bits and pieces, or combining other samples with them

He can still make dope beats, but it must take a LOT longer because instead of going through records that already exist and picking out dope bits, he MAKES loads of records and then shifts through them for the best ones

Also, when you replay a sample, you can still copy the funk and swing of the original sample, because the sample was the jumping off point... but when you start by making a slow kick and clap, then it's plodding to begin with
so you didn't like the beat of Deja Vu for example?

A.K.T.

• Lil Geezy
  • myspace.com/aktoftheartists
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2010, 11:10:58 AM »
Dre did say he's been listening to alot of Mobb Deep and Wu Tang, but the only thing East Coast sounding he's dropped was "Death To My Enemies" even Raekwon didn't get those grimey East beats. Be interesting though, new sound for Dre

Remember that 50 cent's In Da Hood joint

Mietek23

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2010, 11:13:08 AM »
definitely never coming out.

And U do know that! lol :D

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2010, 11:50:33 AM »

so you didn't like the beat of Deja Vu for example?

I like some of them, and he still does replay samples sometimes or he makes ones that sound different, it's just he seems to want to make a LOT of those piano ones, so I hope Detox isn't like all piano ones

Though maybe he's been saving like 12 incredible piano ones specially for Detox, so who knows

xxOHCxx

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2010, 12:14:09 PM »
Detox is going to be like the record from the movie "Pootie Tang"

snoop

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2010, 12:18:36 PM »
Does anybody on here really think that Detox is going to sound like anything Dre has done before?

Lucifuge

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2010, 12:19:44 PM »
I Hope Havoc gonna do some shit on album.if he ever drop. ;D
ALESSANDRO DEL PIERO!!!

Detox 2000Never

tyranasaurus rex like fuck a bitch
i once saw a pterdactyl fuck a bitch
eat a bowl these bitch gobbling dick
hoes forgot to eat a dick a shut the fuck up
roll through crenshaw on my pterdactyl like what up!
By kevin t as Kurupt :D

Unforgivable by Sean John

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2010, 01:02:42 PM »

on the money. great insight.

... but there are plenty of other producers who make beats from scratch, in a quarter the time dre can. Also, those producers will develop a great beat, rather than making a million simple ones, and then picking the best one.

See that's his problem - why START with a plodding kick and snare? I was listening to Hallelujah a minute ago, and yea its a dope beat, but the snare is just so plodding and deliberate that it drags down the beat and is awkward for bishop to flow over. Bishop still flows sick, but the drums are the weak point of that song.

If Dre is really that bad at composition, and needs samples and session players as jumping off points that badly.... i mean can't he can't just turn on his music production software, open up a stock funk drum beat, and work from there? I mean no offense, but Dre's drums used to be his strong point, now they are his weak point. Though I liked some of the drums on relapse.... only some tho, lol.