Author Topic: DJ Automatic Interview (Shadyville DJ, Talks New Mixtape With Common)  (Read 105 times)

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
http://illuminati2g.com/site/2010/11/08/dj-automatic-interview/

I2G kicked it with Shadyville DJ, DJ Automatic for a exclusive interview. We discuss his new mixtape, Theater Of The Mind Mixtale with Common and the unique concept behind it. We also talk about his favorite Common tracks and his DJing across the country so check it out. For a free download of the project, click on the link below.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9WIH19ZC

Illuminati 2G is here with DJ Automatic, how’s it going?

Can’t complain.

How did you get your start in music and who are some of your musical influences out there coming up.

I got my start in music as a DJ. I was always into scratching, but as far as musical influences I got into De La Soul, Tribe Called Quest, and I was really into Michael Jackson and Prince. My mom was really into urban music and my dad was into Led Zepplin and Pink Floyd.

How did you get your start as a DJ?

I started out doing house parties and B-boy events and as I got older I started doing clubs. Concerts after that and one night I was Djing a Nas concert and the radio station was there and I ended up getting a job there and that took me to a whole other level after that.

I went from Albuquerque to Houston and was a DJ out there for a couple years, then I came back. That is how I got my start in the REAL music industry and how I met artists.

What is the music scene like in Albuquerque, New Mexico?

It’s either or, it is either you are really into hip hop or you are really into what is on the radio. There is really no middle ground but there is a huge scene for music out here. There are always shows and concerts here all the time because people here really love music.

You might have a concert here where one night Common is here and the next night Soulja Boy is in town. Both of those concerts will sell out so there is both ends of the spectrum in hip hop that are supported. That is a good thing though because I love all kinds of hip hop.

You have a new mixtape entitled Theater Of The Mind Mixtale with Common. How did that whole concept and mixtape come together?

The concept came from the special edition of Michael Jackson’s Thriller where people were talking about the making of different tracks. It was in 2005 and I think I was in Houston at the time. I was going to do a mixtape with Bun B but we just never got it done and I just kept building on the concept and idea.

Then TI came to town and I was going to do one with him, but I ended up just getting drops from him. I ran into Common because he was out here for the Terminator movie and I was just running into him in random places and he would stop by the radio station.

I ran the idea by him and he was down with it. He went into the radio station and recorded all the parts and I put the music to it and it was a wrap.

What are the fans in store for once they hear the mixtape?

It is definitely hip hop, of the backpacker variety. This is Common’s best tracks, in my opinion from the beginning of his career to the present day. In between the tracks it is him telling the story, like the first break of him talking is him talking about the day he got signed.

He is saying that he thought he was going to be coming home in a limo and he was going to be this big star and he said it was not like that. He said he got a ride back home in his friend’s hatchback but he was saying hey that is how hip hop works.

The story progresses as his career does and it goes from track to track. Another one he talks about I Used To Love H.E.R. and then another is about his relationship with J Dilla and Kanye West, movies and what he wants to do with music in the future. The music moves along in the same timeline as the stories.

What would you say as being a fan of his music what is your favorite track from Common and where do you think he ranks among the greats in hip hop?

In my personal opinion he is in the top 10. My favorite track is probably I Used To Love H.E.R. and Soul By The Pound and I know those are older records…, and The Light is a great record. He has a lot of great records and the funny thing is none of those songs are on my favorite album of his and that is One Day It Will All Make Sense.

That is not a lot of peoples favorite album from him but it is for me. I even liked Electric Circus.

Yeah I liked that album also.

I believe that his point he is a Hall Of Famer. From here on out he is just adding on to his career as far as hip hop is concerned he has already made his mark.

Do you have any upcoming shows or tour dates?

Not at the moment. I mainly DJ here in New Mexico and in Texas on the regular. Sometimes I am out in Vegas Djing at the Palms. I wish I was out there on a regular basis (laughs). Hopefully that will change this year.

I will definitely come out and check out your show.

I have the heart of a backpacker but a mind of a businessman. I know there are things I like to hear and my fellow backpackers like to hear, but I know the majority of people want to hear what is popular and I will accommodate that. But at the same time I am DJ that will show you something new and different at the same time and things you have never heard before.

Cool. What is your website information?

www.twitter.com/DJautomatic.

Alright well that is all the questions I have for you, appreciate you getting down for the interview. Is there any last words or shoutouts that you want to get out there to the people?

Yeah shoutout to the Shadyville DJs that is the crew that I am with.