Author Topic: Daz and Kurupt letting their own legacies slip  (Read 1904 times)

love33

Daz and Kurupt letting their own legacies slip
« on: December 02, 2010, 10:55:14 AM »
Why aren't Daz and Kurupt motivated to make good mainstream music thats absorbed by the masses?  Dre and Snoop want everyone to hear and listen to their music and they are motivated to put out quality content that everyone listens to.  E-40 and Too Short drop hit records from time to time that the masses loves to hear.  On the other hand, Daz and Kurupt have let themselves slip off into mediocrity since 2001.  Now Daz was going to drop a classic on So So Def and most of the material was legit but he went behind Jermaine Dupri's back and dropped an indy album so JD couldn't establish his buzz with that indy album sitting on the shelves so JD just dropped the album with no promotion and let Daz off his contract.  Other than that minor push, I have seen absolutely no effort from them to get back into people's stereos around the country.

Why drop 5 albums that nobody listens to when you could drop one album in 4 years that has hits allover it and played by everyone in their stereos and in the club?

With all that talent, I don't understand one bit why Daz and Kurupt would just let their careers slip off into the sewers and not have any motivation to put out hit records when you see Dre and Snoop playing for nothing less than hit records.

StevenQBosell

Re: Daz and Kurupt letting their own legacies slip
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 01:31:19 PM »
...Now Daz was going to drop a classic on So So Def and most of the material was legit but he went behind Jermaine Dupri's back and dropped an indy album so JD couldn't establish his buzz with that indy album sitting on the shelves so JD just dropped the album with no promotion and let Daz off his contract...

That would totally explain the lack of promotion for that So So Gangsta shit... never knew that

Will_B

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 01:52:17 PM »
Yeah but Daz makes $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ on his own and does a few guest spots on Snoopy's stuff too.

Kurupt is underground so that makes his mainstream stuff have clout when he drops it (whatever ppl think of his stuff).

Si-Chiggedy

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 03:00:19 PM »
taht's bullshit, sorry. they never made mainstream music. they only successful with dogg food in '95 because gangsta rap was popular at the time. I hated when Snoop and them tried to bring em back to the "bigger audience" with that Cali Iz Active album. I mean sure, there were some cool songs on it, but a lot of boring songs also. Plus it had their weakest lyrics ever. It's not that they always were the greatest philosophers (at least Kurupt could be) but I think bothwere really pointless and ridiculously foul-mouthed on many tracks. Dogg Chit whereas, was the real deal imo. True west coast gangsta rap from the first to the last track. Just my opinion.

They can't blow up anymore anyway, these times are over. People don't buy this type of rap musc no more. And we all know what happens when rappers try to change their style and swim the mainstream, shit gets wack. There are only a few people who never went wack doin that, E-40 for example and that's because he always repped where he was from and sill pushed his lingo.

In my humble opinion, Kurupt is the only one of these two who at least has the ability to become more famous again, if he would start writing with more purpose and sense. I mean he's good at "eatin" rappers or checkin bitches. But if he tried to be a little controversive, political or at least critical sometimes, if he tried to spit some grown man lyrics, that would be awsome. But I guess both will rap about straps and bitches until they can't hold a mic no more. Not that I care, I can enjoys some tracks of the new album, but I'm not too excited when they drop new music because I already know wat they're gonna be saying. I only check the new stuff in hope for some tight beats (which Daz is still capable of) and some cool Kurupt verses.
Check out my blog "Love For The West" http://sichill-music.blogspot.com/

And hit me on twitter: http://twitter.com/Si_Chill

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 03:32:40 PM »
They can't blow up anymore anyway, these times are over. People don't buy this type of rap musc no more. And we all know what happens when rappers try to change their style and swim the mainstream, shit gets wack. There are only a few people who never went wack doin that, E-40 for example and that's because he always repped where he was from and sill pushed his lingo.

In my humble opinion, Kurupt is the only one of these two who at least has the ability to become more famous again, if he would start writing with more purpose and sense. I mean he's good at "eatin" rappers or checkin bitches. But if he tried to be a little controversive, political or at least critical sometimes, if he tried to spit some grown man lyrics, that would be awsome. But I guess both will rap about straps and bitches until they can't hold a mic no more. Not that I care, I can enjoys some tracks of the new album, but I'm not too excited when they drop new music because I already know wat they're gonna be saying. I only check the new stuff in hope for some tight beats (which Daz is still capable of) and some cool Kurupt verses.

People buy into good music, so whether it's "gangsta" rap or "pop" music as long as it's good/catchy/LIKABLE then there's really no problem.  You just actually have 2 be capable of combining the modern with the retro with whut u know (Daz has done that on more okaysions than 1 while Kurupt has been more like "fuck it, I got a name, I'll put something out").  

It's up 2 them not everybody else, if the direction they went into is whut thay WANTED to do then let them (they always had that "underground" sound, mainstream is nothing but a fake word really, i mean there's a sound to it kinda but not really, u just have 2 make something jammin' that'll get tha party live instantly, that's not selling out).  And they should Rap about whatever they want but it's just gotta be good, like that gangsta shit is cool but how interesting/catchy can u make it ukno.  "On Some Real Shit" was a perfect example.  As long as they don't start gettin' all corny and shit I'm fine (plastic beats, skim thru lyrics, etc).  I'd love 2 hear Tha Dogg Pound over some beats by Curren$y's people, their styles kinda mix well (at least in my head 4 now).  But I can't lie tho, u r right 4 tha most part. 

biggdazdilly

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 04:02:53 PM »
yalll full of shitt when we hit that stage who can proform longer wit hits not 1 song

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 04:08:02 PM »
I think alot of fans don't know what the fuck they want.

When DPG tried a new sound (Cali Iz Active for example) yall did not like it

When DPG goes back to their traditional sound (Dogg Chit, 100 Wayz, etc) yall say they living in the past

When DPG does not drop anything yall say man why don't they drop new music.

Can't have it both ways, which one is it? Name a crew on the west that almost consistently drops 2-5 projects a year like DPGC does.

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 04:38:55 PM »
I love tha doggpound, always will.  I guess I just guage my passion 4 music a little higher, like sum of tha shit that goes on I dont get becuz tha shit doesnt make sense to me.  U cant make everybody happy so it is whut it is, they just need 2 sign sum niggaz from Baltimore, its a fresh refreshing brand new form of REAL gangsta music out there, plus everybody knows Tha Dogg Pound Gangsta Crips out there.  But they havent let their legacy slip, dreams only last forever in heaven.

Smackdog

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 07:14:59 PM »
I agree.....with it
"If you see me on a solo move believe that I'm strapped"  - dr. dre

"as he wondered what popped before he got popped, I told you this is dre and you know it dont stop"
"don't choke,  if you do,  you  have no clue, of what me and my homeboy Snoop dogg came to do"

love33

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 07:59:47 PM »
taht's bullshit, sorry. they never made mainstream music.

Are you kiddin me? Kurupt was the big talk of Doggystyle with his verses and Dogg Pound "Dogg Food" was a huge mainstream album.  You don't just make $100,000 videos for an album if it ain't mainstream -- "Lets Play House" was the smash and "New York New York" were huge. Daz and Kurupt were mainstream from the time The Chronic dropped through the 90's.  Kurupt had a huge video and everything with "We Can Freak It" and he had "It's Over" all over MTV off Space Boogie and he had "Where I Wanna Be" video rotating with Shade Sheist, and he had "Behind The Walls" on MTV in full rotation with Nate Dogg.  All those were mainstream hits.

Daz's last hit was "Party People" ft. Jagged Edge which was supposed to be on 'So So Gangsta' and it didn't make the final album, the song was a huge radio hit but Daz never got to reap the longterm benefits due to his fallout with Jermaine Dupri.

Daz, on the other hand, his last big mainstream album was his debut "Retaliation, Revenge, and Get Back" where he went Gold and had "In California" and "It Might Sound Crazy."  Tha Dogg Pounds last big hit was "Change The Game Remix" which was on "Tha Dogg Pound 2002" album.

My question is that why don't they want to keep pumping out the hits and use their status and get back into people's stereos instead of all this backyard music that nobody even knows exists, has little to no promotion, and has little appeal to get pumped on the radio or the club.  At least Dre, Snoop, Too Short, and E-40 are in the clubs and on the radios with their music, Tha Dogg Pound needs to get back into that mode or their legacies are just diminishing.

Smackdog

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 08:03:29 PM »
Big snoop dogg said in an interview on this website that "rataliation"

only sold 300,000........never went gold.....
"If you see me on a solo move believe that I'm strapped"  - dr. dre

"as he wondered what popped before he got popped, I told you this is dre and you know it dont stop"
"don't choke,  if you do,  you  have no clue, of what me and my homeboy Snoop dogg came to do"

love33

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 08:08:28 PM »
There are only a few people who never went wack doin that, E-40 for example and that's because he always repped where he was from and sill pushed his lingo.

Funny how Snoop, Too Short, E-40, Dr. Dre, and Game can make hits in any era of music and all these other rappers got a list of excuses

40 got all kinds of hits from "Yeaah" with Sean Paul, "U and Dat" with T-Pain, "Tell Me When To Go," "Wake It Up" ft. Akon, "Nothin To A Boss" with Short & Snoop

Now Too Short he pumps out hits left and right I heard him on the Toot It & Boot It remix with Snoop at the club, he's on Kendra's theme song on E!, they play "Blow The Whistle" and "Shake That Monkey" all the time at the club -- "Life Of The Party" and "Keep Bouncin" with Snoop are huge club tracks..and "Bia Bia" with Luda and Lil jon....I heard "Show Me What You Workin Wit" Short and 40 at the club in a mix........he's a certified OG who makes hits in any era of music

love33

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2010, 08:13:09 PM »
Big snoop dogg said in an interview on this website that "rataliation"

only sold 300,000........never went gold.....

It's been certified GOLD by the RIAA.  Suge even said it went Gold.  In the 15 Years on Death Row double cd with the Bonus Cuts it talks about how the sales started slipping after Daz's Retaliation, Revenge, and Get Back went GOLD cause they were used to the albums going to PLATINUM all the time also THE CHRONIC 2000 was Gold (it sold 250k and was a double disc so it counts 2 units/sale)

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2010, 08:20:44 PM »
daz never went "gold" solo.
corruption wit the soundscan-digits. it happens sometimes..

Death Row bought alot of copies themselves..

Eddz

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2010, 08:33:18 PM »
I'd much rather the Dogg Pound stick to their original style than trying to make some bullshit just to try and get on the radio. Even if they did this everyone would still bitch and moan that they have sold out.

100 Wayz was fire and most of the Dogg Pound albums that drop are tight.

I think it's funny you consider Too $hort is still dropping hits, he hasn't put out any quality music in a long time.