Author Topic: got an android phone this week.  (Read 2080 times)

Matty

got an android phone this week.
« on: December 14, 2010, 10:22:11 PM »
haven't had a new phone for years. this thing amazingly cost under £100 and is bomb! (zte blade) does everything, gorgeous high res screen. is anyone else using an android phone? seems a lot more cool than iphone in terms of the device cost and customizability. the amount of shit you can mess around with (different custom roms, alternate versions of every component, free apps) to get a finely tuned experience is crazy.

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
Re: got an android phone this week.
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 10:43:54 AM »
im getting the iphone 4 in a weekish. cant wait.

Matty

elmizzy

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 08:32:52 PM »
I just switched over from an Iphone, and I'm loving it. It's all about preference and I prefer the Android as it allows me to customize appearance as well as integrate Google services I use (Gmail, Google Voice, etc.) I think Apple barely started allowing some of those apps after blocking them from the Itunes store since Google rolled them out. I've been able to find superior or equal replacement apps for the apps I used with the Iphone. I do miss the sleek and smooth Ipod music player though. Also I believe Google is much looser on approving apps for the market place. Iphone is very simplistic and easy for anyone to use. I could see some people getting frustrated with an Android device because it's not as cut and paste as the Iphone. I recommend that if you want to have full control over your device, go with Android.

Matty

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 02:24:30 AM »
^^ for sure.

http://www.android-underground.org/ for free paid apps.

i'm just real happy at the amount of functionality on the handset i got for the price. literally a fraction of the cost of some high-end models. not such a worry when carrying it around either - the ZTE Blade is by far the best bang for buck phone on the market. did i mention the AMOLED screen! really incredible to have this on a low priced handset and i much prefer the image to any LCD, looks incredible. custom roms can also be flashed onto the phone for better performance, waiting on a stable android 2.2 for this model now.

elmizzy

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 09:46:41 PM »
I'm stuck on Android 1.6 on Sony Ericsson X10. Fucking At&t is holding up the release of 2.1. But I'm fine with it update should be coming soon
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 09:52:11 PM by theog »

Matty

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 11:58:30 PM »
mine is on 2.1 and there will be a final 2.2 release for the chinese variants of this handset at least, which will be modded and fully usable 8)

reluctant to try one of the pre-release 2.2 leaks yet. i'm seeing that the 2.3 source code is out there and people have roms booting on certain handsets and building parts of it like the new keyboard into 2.2 roms 8)

i believe 2.2 has the full flash support whereas on earlier versions you have to do some workarounds to get it going. i've barely scratched the surface though, just put on launcher pro and a few other apps onto the stock, bloated orange network 2.1 rom for now.

bez

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 05:56:50 PM »
Gingerbread out soon aswell :)

Matty

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 08:25:04 PM »
Gingerbread out soon aswell :)

yup (2.3). the code is out there people have it booting on handsets already. i dunno if its too much different to 2.2. i know 2.2 has quite a few useful additions over 2.1 (native apps2sd support and flash support, faster), but i think it has better support for streaming, gaming and tablet devices now.

a lot of handsets don't even have proper 2.2 updates yet tho, so those ones seem unlikely for official 2.3 builds, at least for some time.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 08:26:57 PM by Matty »

dangerloops

• Lil Geezy
  • Onstaff producer at Dangerloops.com
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 09:20:04 PM »
I recently got the HTC EVO 4G I love it

Matty

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 09:30:31 PM »
I recently got the HTC EVO 4G I love it

nice, that's like the daddy of android handsets right now, but iphone level price :bandit:

its the Desire HD over here. massive screen, fast processor, high-res video recording. i heard the battery life can suffer cause of all that stuff tho?

UKnowWhatItIs: welcome to my traps....game over

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2010, 01:54:49 PM »
HTC Touch HD 2 8)

Matty

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2010, 02:43:02 PM »
HTC Touch HD 2 8)

voted the best HTC handset at XDA developers. interesting that it's not even an android phone out of the box, but very popular with the modders 8)

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2010, 10:39:48 AM »
^ is that the jawn that comes with windows on it? (for t-mobile)? cuase that phone sucks dick. (as in the phone is amazing, but the fact that it runs window makes it the shittiest piece of shit ever, ask anyone)

Matty

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2010, 02:39:27 PM »
i presume thats why he and most people have android builds installed on em instead of the the stock windows. interestingly the keyboard for that phone has been ported to android handsets and is supposed to be one of the best touch keyboards anywhere.