Author Topic: The official The Dark Knight Rises thread...  (Read 8114 times)

DEKO

Re: The official The Dark Knight Rises thread...
« Reply #195 on: December 26, 2011, 03:08:56 AM »
Official The Dark Knight Rises trailer:

:o
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 03:10:49 AM by DEKO »

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #196 on: December 26, 2011, 10:24:58 AM »
That dropped a bit over a week ago... but dope, nonetheless.  The prologue has been a tad harder to find since the links keep getting taken down, but there's one on YouTube with shitty subtitles (since someone from outside of the U.S. tried to transcribe it and doesn't know English as well).

JohnnyL

« Reply #197 on: December 30, 2011, 08:44:19 PM »
That dropped a bit over a week ago... but dope, nonetheless.  The prologue has been a tad harder to find since the links keep getting taken down, but there's one on YouTube with shitty subtitles (since someone from outside of the U.S. tried to transcribe it and doesn't know English as well).

Yeah.  It's frustrating how tough they've made it to see the prologue, even legitimately.  There are several Imax theaters within driving distance from where I live, but evidently the prologue is only playing on 70 mm Imax theaters, which I'm guessing none of the ones around here are because none of them are playing it.  I know they're probably not really worried about under-promoting this movie, but really, they ought to make what basically amounts to an advertisement available for everyone to see.
   Regarding the new regular trailer, I think they did a good job showing enough to get people interested without giving too much away.

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #198 on: May 01, 2012, 08:34:50 AM »
The official trailer was released last night:

http://tdkr07202012.com/

Any thoughts?

It just seems to get better and better.  But it seems like a really long movie with a lot of twists and turns.

Fraxxx

« Reply #199 on: May 01, 2012, 09:18:49 AM »
I like everything about the trailer but... does anyone else think that the Catwoman outfit looks stupid?
i don´t need any medicate shit im 100 normal.

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #200 on: May 01, 2012, 09:46:33 AM »
I like everything about the trailer but... does anyone else think that the Catwoman outfit looks stupid?
A little... not a big fan of the ears... but whatever.  The characters in this aren't supposed to be as flashy as they are in the comics or in prior films, especially since Anne Hathaway's character has less emphasis on being cat-like in terms of the appearance of her outfit.  But again, she's not the focus of the movie, just like how Two-Face wasn't the main concern of The Dark Knight.

With the legacy "ending" and Batman saying that he hasn't given everything, at least "not yet," it sounds like he's going to give his life.  My assumption (though of course I would be totally off-base) is that he will sacrifice himself and die in the end, but assuming that the Lazarus Pit is in the movie, maybe Batman will die in the eyes of Gotham (while maybe someone else takes his place, or at least Gotham can defend itself from that point on) while his remains are taken to the Pit so he can be revived but live just as Bruce Wayne, which was a mission of his all along since the first movie.

Also, with everything coming full circle and linking to the first movie with the dialogue from Ra's Al Ghul, I was always bothered by a line from Batman Begins that I didn't think about until the new movie was announced.  When Ra's is burning down Wayne Manor, he says "It should be you by my side," which then sounded like Bruce should've been riding with him.  But in hindsight, with the ties to the first movie and Liam Neeson still being involved, I couldn't help but think he meant something like it should've been Bruce INSTEAD of someone else who he picked instead... which I'm assuming could've been Bane.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #201 on: May 01, 2012, 10:20:28 AM »
Trailer looks pretty good. The Dark Knight will not be topped though. It's obvious Nolan went top heavy with stars to make up for the amazing Joker character played.

Anyway, I'm excited. Been waiting for this since 2008.

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #202 on: May 01, 2012, 12:08:26 PM »
Trailer looks pretty good. The Dark Knight will not be topped though. It's obvious Nolan went top heavy with stars to make up for the amazing Joker character played.

I wouldnt say that he went with "top heavy" stars. With the exception of Anne Hathaway (as you can't go with a no-name for Selina Kyle/Catwoman), everyone else who is new to the franchise (particularly Tom Hardy and Josh Gordon Levitt) had worked with Christopher Nolan before, particularly on Inception, as he likes to work with the same actors in other movies of his, like how the first Ra's al Ghul was the Japanese guy from Inception, or how the chick who we assume will be Talia al Ghul was also in Inception. Same thing with Alfred.

It's hard to say if it will or will not top The Dark Knight. A lot of it was fueled by Heath Ledger's portrayal of the Joker and also by his death, but there has been a lot of hype around this one as well, just for different reasons. Real comic book fans are aware of how Bane was likely the hardest and most intelligent villain Batman ever faced, so theyve been waiting for a legit portrayal especially after the Batman & Robin fiasco. Even though far more people know Joker than Bane (and the vast majority of the general population who does know Bane only knows him from the other movie), they have presented him in a very effective way that makes people want to see him because he's just so different from the Joker, in a good way. But they are making out to be a bad guy to be feared, one who will fuck up you and is cryptic in his words but almost poetic...

"Now is not the time for fear, doctor... That comes later."
"When Gotham is ashes... You have my permission to die."
"I am Gotham's reckoning."
"Your punishment must be more severe."

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #203 on: May 01, 2012, 05:41:22 PM »
I grow more and more weary of the last two films as time passes. Which isn't to deny that they are the best super hero films ever, because they are (though I really liked Punisher Warzone). What I mean is I'm not hyped for this film. I was when I just finished watching Dark Knight for the first time. I'll watch it and I'll still enjoy it more than any of the past Marvel films, but now I'm going in expected to find a whole bunch of things wrong with it. I wasn't that way with Dark Knight before it came out. I had my issues with BEgins but not as many as I do now. Throw in the issues I have with DK and I can't get myself excited over DK Rises.

Hood Crawler

• 'G'
« Reply #204 on: May 01, 2012, 09:13:24 PM »

Wasn't a fan at first, but the new trailer has me more convinced it'll work

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #205 on: May 02, 2012, 06:23:17 AM »
I grow more and more weary of the last two films as time passes. Which isn't to deny that they are the best super hero films ever, because they are (though I really liked Punisher Warzone). What I mean is I'm not hyped for this film. I was when I just finished watching Dark Knight for the first time. I'll watch it and I'll still enjoy it more than any of the past Marvel films, but now I'm going in expected to find a whole bunch of things wrong with it. I wasn't that way with Dark Knight before it came out. I had my issues with BEgins but not as many as I do now. Throw in the issues I have with DK and I can't get myself excited over DK Rises.
What are the "issues" you have with The Dark Knight?

doggfather

« Reply #206 on: May 02, 2012, 06:25:36 AM »

https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #207 on: May 02, 2012, 06:54:22 PM »
I grow more and more weary of the last two films as time passes. Which isn't to deny that they are the best super hero films ever, because they are (though I really liked Punisher Warzone). What I mean is I'm not hyped for this film. I was when I just finished watching Dark Knight for the first time. I'll watch it and I'll still enjoy it more than any of the past Marvel films, but now I'm going in expected to find a whole bunch of things wrong with it. I wasn't that way with Dark Knight before it came out. I had my issues with Begins but not as many as I do now. Throw in the issues I have with DK and I can't get myself excited over DK Rises.
What are the "issues" you have with The Dark Knight?

Nothing overly major that ruins the film for me, but I thought the two Face story at the end was way too rushed and a bit unbelievable (within the confines of the already unbelievable DC universe). There was no teasing of a dark side for Harvey Dent at all during the film, and no reason for him to jump to the psychopath he became. It's one thing to go nuts after losing your girl thanks to a fucked up police force. It's another to contemplate killing a child.

Now I'm usually not a "in the comics" guy because what works in comic books and what works in film are very different, and also a lot of conflicting portrayals occurred "in the comics" over the years. That being said; in one aspect of the comics Two Face isn't really a villain in the criminal sense. He's a split personality torn between the two ways of fighting crime. One side wants to put them on trial and get them convicted, the other wants to punish them right where they stand. Neither side wants to kill an innocent child. And regardless of what the comics say it just seemed silly watching it on screen.

The accident with his face combines the two personalities and creates one entity that has no preference of which of the two ways to treat the criminals, so he lets the coin decide. Two Face wants justice. One side wants it done through the process of the law, the other wants to take the law into his own hands.

And one little thing that really irked me was when that employee of Wayne Tech discovered the Tumbler as being part of Wayne Enterprises and he brought it to the attention of Lucius; Lucius just jumped to the conclusion that the guy was accusing Bruce of being Batman. As far as anyone is concerned Bruce is the party boy billionaire heir that just owns Wayne Enterprises because of his birthright. Most everyone that works there assumes Lucius is in fact running the daily operations while Bruce just collects the cash. There is absolutely no reason for this guy to think the Tumbler being part of Wayne means Bruce is Batman, and even less of a reason to for Lucius to think this guy is accusing Bruce.

If anything, the logical reason for the Tumbler is that Lucius is running some secret vigilante program using a Batman or group of soldiers dressed as the Batman to fight crime in Gotham. Nothing anyone knows about Bruce would imply that he himself is even capable of being Batman.

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #208 on: May 03, 2012, 04:43:34 PM »
Nothing overly major that ruins the film for me, but I thought the two Face story at the end was way too rushed and a bit unbelievable (within the confines of the already unbelievable DC universe). There was no teasing of a dark side for Harvey Dent at all during the film, and no reason for him to jump to the psychopath he became. It's one thing to go nuts after losing your girl thanks to a fucked up police force. It's another to contemplate killing a child.
I get what you mean about the Two-Face story having been rushed and squished into such a short timeframe after the Joker had been captured.  But again, they weren't pushing Two-Face to resemble the yin-and-yang dichotomy of the Two-Face from the comics -- he was a reinvented character, just like everyone else in Nolan's trilogy.  His "dark side" was pretty tame (and really only came out when he held the guy at gunpoint when Batman intervened) and not exactly like a split personality, but it was amplified in a manner that you explained very well, actually.  His "jump to the psychopath he became" was a bit sudden, but I don't think the transformation was presented with "no reason."  Remember that he wasn't really a villain -- the only people he wanted to punish were those who he believed shouldered some responsibility for what happened to him and Rachel.  And it's not as if he went out late at night looking for every firstborn of Gotham -- the only reason he was in a position to kill Commissioner Gordon's family was because he wanted Gordon to know what it felt like to be in his shoes when he was pleading to Rachel (over the intercom) that everything would be okay when she ended up dying anyway.

Now I'm usually not a "in the comics" guy because what works in comic books and what works in film are very different, and also a lot of conflicting portrayals occurred "in the comics" over the years. That being said; in one aspect of the comics Two Face isn't really a villain in the criminal sense. He's a split personality torn between the two ways of fighting crime. One side wants to put them on trial and get them convicted, the other wants to punish them right where they stand. Neither side wants to kill an innocent child. And regardless of what the comics say it just seemed silly watching it on screen.
But even in the comics, while Two-Face was still a villain overall.  It's not as if "heads" meant that he would save a cat from a burning tree or "tails" meant that he would rob a bank -- it only determined the fate of his victims, for the most part, not quite whether or not he would commit a crime.  The Harvey Dent personality of Two-Face wasn't still out for justice the way he was as a district attorney, whereas the Two-Face from The Dark Knight movie, as you said, was out for his new perception of justice (and not being a villain doing bad-guy things), but again, like the comic book presentation of the character, consulted his coin to determine whether or not he would let someone live.  It wasn't something done to determine who wins between two sides of a dichotomy but to be the deciding factor of what happens next.  The Two-Face of The Dark Knight was still just one person with one mindset.

The accident with his face combines the two personalities and creates one entity that has no preference of which of the two ways to treat the criminals, so he lets the coin decide. Two Face wants justice. One side wants it done through the process of the law, the other wants to take the law into his own hands.
If you're referring to the Two-Face from the movie, I don't think that the coin is deciding whether justice is coming from the law or from his own hands -- it was only whether or not he is administering justice.  The coin dictating that he ends up not killing the person himself didn't mean that he was turning them in to the police, it just meant that he wouldn't kill them, hence the Joker being let go, but because Two-Face still did feel the Joker had some responsibility for what happened, he flipped the coin on him, but he lucked out.

And one little thing that really irked me was when that employee of Wayne Tech discovered the Tumbler as being part of Wayne Enterprises and he brought it to the attention of Lucius; Lucius just jumped to the conclusion that the guy was accusing Bruce of being Batman. As far as anyone is concerned Bruce is the party boy billionaire heir that just owns Wayne Enterprises because of his birthright. Most everyone that works there assumes Lucius is in fact running the daily operations while Bruce just collects the cash. There is absolutely no reason for this guy to think the Tumbler being part of Wayne means Bruce is Batman, and even less of a reason to for Lucius to think this guy is accusing Bruce.

If anything, the logical reason for the Tumbler is that Lucius is running some secret vigilante program using a Batman or group of soldiers dressed as the Batman to fight crime in Gotham. Nothing anyone knows about Bruce would imply that he himself is even capable of being Batman.
Again, you bring up a good point, since the Tumbler having originally been designed by Wayne Tech doesn't necessarily equate to Bruce Wayne being Batman.  But when that employee ended up on the TV show, he was there to reveal Batman's identity (which was stated in the captions on the TV), so it's safe to assume that he had deduced that Batman was Bruce Wayne, even though he didn't insinuate that to Lucius.  But after Bruce had saved him when crashing his Lamborghini, the guy and Bruce exchanged looks when the police arrived, almost as if they had come to some sort of silent, unspoken understanding.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #209 on: May 04, 2012, 01:21:49 PM »
I wasn't trying to describe the true Two Face and comparing him to Nolan's Two Face. I was simply pointing out the type of Two face that I like and would like to have seen on screen, and pointing out all the things about Nolan's Two Face that I didn't like. It's just an opinion on what I felt about the film.

As for the Wayne Tech guy, if anything he didn't deduce shit, Lucius Fox gave away the identity of Batman as Bruce when Lucius jumped to the conclusion tat this guy thinks it's Wayne. All the employee said was that he found out the Tumbler is one of the projects worked on by Wayne Tech. My complaint isn't bas much about the guy being able to figure it out as it is about Fox acting so stupid about it. Lucius Fox is much more clever. I don't mean Lucius in the comics or Lucius as I envision him, but the actual Lucius Fox from the film. He wouldn't make such a stupid mistake. And if he did it should be presented as such with in the film; that he really fucked up. Now if said employee was Edward Nigma then perhaps that'd be acceptable.