Author Topic: Huge People Power Iraqi Goverments Protests  (Read 408 times)

LONDON!!

Huge People Power Iraqi Goverments Protests
« on: February 25, 2011, 11:24:50 AM »
you won't see this in the mainstream press in the west, no you won't, first tunisia, then eqypt, maybe kaddafi(what a phony let down) to fall next and the corrupt, system puppet goverment in iraq maybe next from www.globalresearch.ca

Iraq’s “National Day of Rage”
What you won’t read in the mainstream press

by Dirk Adriaensens

Global Research, February 25, 2011

Email this article to a friend
 Print this article

digg

Underneath are a few comments and statements I compiled, sent to me by different Iraqi persons. It’s necessary to counter the near total media blackout on Iraqi protests, that have been going on in every major Iraqi town the past weeks. These protests culminate today in a “National Day of Rage”, organized by the heroic Iraqi youth. Spread the news. Let the world know what is happening in Iraq.

It is late at night or rather it is early Friday 25th February, 2011 - the day that all Iraqis chose to call The Great Day of Anger - it is the result of the slow rumblings of the Iraqi People's anger about the past 8 years of destruction, pillage and plunder, rape, and total catastrophe.   The demonstrations will continue and will get larger.

The Iraqi People are demonstrating against corruption, absolute and abysmal poverty, unemployment, total lack of services, and occupation, and very importantly corruption - administrative and fiscal corruption ; they are also demonstrating demanding freedom and human dignity and the immediate expulsion of the Occupation.   They are demonstrating for Iraq and have come together as Iraqis.

Yesterday's events started off with an amusing speech by Maliki asking people not to demonstrate on Friday!  He described the demonstrators as "the enemies of freedom"!  Any other day but Friday and he looked really frightened.

They have banned the press and closed streets in Baghdad.

It has been leaked that the General from Heet, General Nassir Alghanim, who has terrorised the people of Mosul has run away with 450 soldiers - we do not know their ranks.   This news will be confirmed later.

In the meantime

Colonel Hameed Kadhim in the Ministry of the Interior - Director of Training of Police has resigned because he has refused to obey orders to beatup the demonstrators.   In the meantime 6 anti riot units have sbeen stationed throughout Abu Nawwas and Tahrir Square and have been ordered to beat up the demonstrators.   Also, the Meesan anti riot batallion which is made up of the Da'awa Party Militia has been brought in to Tahrir Square.

The authorities are going round house to house making people sign undertakings that they will not go out and demonstrate - regrettably some members of parliament in the Iraqiya block have also done this in the Anbar province as well as in A'adhamiya!   ID Cards are being confiscated so that these young people are stopped at check points and barred from joining the demonstrations.

The Muthanna regiment has surrounded Abu Ghraib and raided houses as well as taken ID Cards from demonstration leaders in that area.   It has also imposed a curfew there.

All vehichles have been banned from coming into central Baghdad as well as all TV vans which relay live!   Firdaws Square has been closed up for reasons of repairs!

Muntathar Al - Zaidy has been arrested in A'adhamiya.
The Baghdadiya reporter, Meenas, was arrested by police dressed in civillian clothes in Tahrir Square - he was in the Square without his cameraman - among the demonstrators.

Government officials were caught in Baghdad airport before catching a plane with USD1.2 million and the money impounded.

A journalist friend of mine in Baghdad tells me that there is a chilling atmosphere in Baghdad and I quote:"The mood here is chilling. There is an obvious intimidation tactic applied here. I saw riot police practiciing today. maliki's speeches, sadr and sistani's statements. It's insane."

It is also reported that a great number of senior officials, ministers and members of parliament have left the country.

The Chairman of Baghdad Provincial Council has issued a ban on all slogans that state that the government and/or the Provincial Council Chairman and Members of Baghdad should go!   As for the Basra Chairman of the Provincial Council, Shiltagh, he actually stated publicly at The Prophet's Birthday celebrations, to an audience of senior tribal leaders as well as religious persons, that Tunisian prostitutes are more honourable than the demosntrators whence a fight broke out - this was recorded by all the media including satellite stations!"

Pray for Iraq!

Muntathar Al Zaidy’s brother’s message:

To the great young people of Iraq,

In the afternoon today 24/02/2011 mercenaries of al-Maliki arrested my own brothers Muntathar Al Zaidy and Dhergham Al Zaidy in the hope of sabotaging the demonstration.

As they have done with me when they tortured me and broke my foot only a couple of weeks ago. But they are stupid because they cannot understand that this revolution has not one leader or a president. If they wish to arrest all the leaders of this blessed Intifadha, then they need to arrest one million from our youth.

We would like to say to the enemies that Lt. Gen. Abdul Aziz al-Kubaisi, Muntathar,  Uday and Dhargam Al Zaidy and the rest of our youths are only the advocates for the Iraqi people. The majority of Iraqis are on our side as we hold the occupation government responsible for their safety and welfare until they are released, and tomorrow will raise a banner demanding the release of all detainees, including our mentioned brothers.  So my brothers and sisters, do not let these events affect your determination and motivation to turn up bright and early to our demonstration tomorrow 25th Feb 2011.i

We have divided the preparatory Committee members to several sub committees, including ..

1. Security Committee and its mission to maintain the security of the demonstration, in collaboration with the good people of our brothers in the army and police to stop the agence provocateur in their tacks from lurking in our midst and sabotaging our mission. These agents will no doubt be planted by the government and some of the opportunist political parties.

2. Media Committee : our aim is to discreetly record and send photos and video clips via the Internet and monitor violations by the security services.

3. The Stewarding Committee: Its mission is ensure an orderly protest and chanting slogans. It will prevent any lifting of a politically motivated banner or any sectarianism and racism on the banners. Only Iraqi flags and banners agreed in the Preparatory Committee, calling for the exit of the occupiers and their stooges.

4. Medical Committee, which consists of four volunteer doctors and three medical assistants, its  mission is to treat the sick and the wounded if we come under attack or in case of an emergency God forbid ..

We call upon our brothers and sisters  the demonstrators to stay away as much as possible the security services and to avoid causing any friction with them whatever they do and however provocatively they may behave.
 Beware of any unidentifiable objects you might come across, just inform the nearest steward about it.

Long live Iraq, free and united

Long live our dignified mighty people,

May peace and God's mercy and blessings be upon you

Uday al-Zaidi

APPEAL NO (1) TO THE HEROIC DEMONSTRATORS

We call upon all the organizers of demonstrations to make emergency backup plans in case Iraq’s enemies move to steal and plunder The National Museum and the National Library

They should organize groups of young men and women to provide  protection for the important sites which include the National Museum, all ministries as well as all service institutions, hospitals, universities and schools etc
http://www.wammdh.com/user.aspx?id=50&SectionID=0

A special government force arrested Lt. Gen. Abdul Aziz al-Kubaisi, director of the individuals in the current Department of Defense on Wednesday morning (today) due to his resignation and giving up his rank and joining the crowds of demonstrators protesting the incomplete current government.

A  media source in the province of Baghdad stated, "A force in the Baghdad Operations Command raided this morning, the home of director of personnel in the Ministry of Defense General Abdul Aziz al-Kubaisi in Jadriya in central Baghdad, and arrested him without a judicial arrest warrant. "

The source added, "The security force took away General Abdul Aziz,to an unknown destination. "

The director of the Department of Personnel in the Ministry of Defense General Abdul Aziz al-Kubaisi presented on Tuesday, his resignation via Al Sharquiya satellite TV station, and his Declaration of support for the demonstrators. He also  accused the current government of corruption and sectarianism.

Best Regards
Tahrir Swift
http://solidarityiraq.blogspot.com/

A spokesman for Baghdad operations, Maj. Gen. Qassim Atta, said he would prevent vehicles from surrounding areas in Tahrir Square, in a move to block the arrival of the demonstrators to it on Friday February 25.

As well as cars were banned, journalists from television were prevented coverage of the protests in Tahrir Square.

The spokesman for Baghdad operations "will prevent the traffic of surrounding areas for the Tahrir Square on Friday, as well as preventing cars of direct broadcast so as 'not to impede the movement' of demonstrators."

Sources from the security agencies and intelligence services had two days ago given warning to the owners of the buildings surrounding Tahrir Square of the consequences of allowing photographers and journalists from getting to the rooftops and took their written pledges, in an attempt to prevent a wide media coverage of the event, on Friday, 25 February.
http://www.wammdh.com/UserNewsDetails.aspx?ID=50&NewsID=GOsGUeaFt/0=

Urgent appeal, investigate the crimes and bring the perpetrators to justice

In Sulaymaniyah: murder of a young man Rizwan Ali (17 years) and another aged 14 died of his wounds Thursday 17/02/2011 by the security forces  and militia belonging to the Kurdish parties in the Seraiy Square-  Sulaymaniyah during a peaceful protest carried out mainly by young people.

2 - Kidnapping of activist Uday Al Zaidi on 2/14/2011 By Interior Ministry forces and the arrest of his colleagues during a peaceful licensed demonstration in Firdous Square in central Baghdad. He was tortured and his limbs were broken to prevent him from future participation in peaceful demonstrations called by the popular movement to save Iraq.

3 - The killing of three protesters and wounding 55 others in the city of Kut in southern Iraq on 16 February where a peaceful demonstration protesting the lack of public services and corruption, was confronted with firearms and live ammunition.

4 - the death of journalist Riad al-Rubaie in the middle of a peaceful demonstration of youth on 20 February, at Tahrir Square after being severely beaten by the police under the eyes of  his fellow protesters.

5 – Security forces in civilian clothes raided the sit in Tahrir Square in central Baghdad at dawn on February 21 and attacked the protesters with sharp implements and blades resulted, killing one person and seriously injuring nine others. The wounded protesters said the security forces asked them to leave the arena.   After midnight, the security forces withdrew from the arena to make way for about  sixty men armed with  spears, sticks and electric batons to attack the camp. They raided the camp and burned down the sit-in tent.

In a desperate attempt by the authorities of the Green Zone to intimidate the young protesters and dissuade them from demonstrating on Friday in Tahrir Square, They have  since yesterday been warning of all government forces under item (c), and had recalled all licensees of such forces immediately back to their units and the deployment of tanks at intersections and entrances to neighbourhoods and bridges and carry out policing and to force pledges from employees and citizens in residential neighbourhoods, of non-participation in legitimate peaceful protests. The government’s supporters are also attempting to sabotage the protests by watering down the demands and/or steering them to a partisan/religious line and/or agendas. These demonstrations are totally independent of any political current, organised mainly by Iraqi youth and expressing popular demands and sentiments. The government’s insidious plans to sabotage or suppress the protests are a clear indication of their own fear of the Iraqi youth’s power and determination. It is an indication of that Iraqi people’s hour of reckoning, with this political system is drawing near.

Best Regards

Tahrir Swift
http://solidarityiraq.blogspot.com/

"get this money by any means nessassary"

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
Re: Huge People Power Iraqi Goverments Protests
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 09:26:43 AM »
Very true. I'm sick and tired of all these dumb ass conservatives saying George Bush is responsible for all the Middle East revolts because he took out Saddam. Iraq's puppet democracy will fall by years end, none of the American media outlets are reporting on it, and it's the biggest sign that the Iraqi people is rejecting the puppet government.

LONDON!!

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 08:00:21 PM »
thats what i'm saying

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 08:10:19 AM »
thats what i'm saying

I know, but I wanted to sum it all up in like 2 sentences... lol

For reals though, the Iraqi government is truly in trouble, and the Prime Minister there is seen as an American puppet. What's worst is I think Obama will actually continue to take troops out and then al-Maliki will truly be in trouble. Once the current Iraqi government falls, what would happen. Unlike the rest of the Middle East, Iraq's democracy did not come because of a movement, it came by someone forcing their will on them. What would that say for the current government who is suppose to be for the people.

LONDON!!

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 06:32:29 AM »
yeah there still doing mass demostrations in iraq against corruption and oppression in iraq that the mainstream media is ignoring on purpose

from http://www.globalresearch.ca

Second National Day of Rage in Iraq. Western Media: Deaf, Dumb and Blind

by Dirk Adriaensens

Global Research, March 5, 2011
BRussells Tribunal

Print this article

digg

DAY OF THE MARTYR,  04 March 2011

The second day of “National Rage” in Iraq produced again big demonstrations in all major cities in Iraq. The relevance of these protest movements cannot be underestimated. These protest are nationwide, not sectarian. The Iraqi youth, main instigators of this movement, are challenging the sectarian Iraqi Quisling government and counter American and Iranian plans for the country: no partitioning of Iraq, but electricity, jobs, clean water, free healthcare and education. No to corruption, no to summary executions and death squads. No to state-sponsored terror. These Iraqi demonstrators want a unified Iraq and want the money of their oil being used for public services. I’ve been following the events today with great admiration and hope, hope for change, hope that the Iraqi people can reverse - as one nation - the deadly spiral of ethnic cleansing, sectarianism, despair and the culture of death, imported by the US horsemen of the apocalypse.

Underneath are a reflection from an Iraqi activist: Asma Al Haidari and an account of our Spanish friends from SCOSI (Spanish Campaign against the Occupation and for the Sovereignty of Iraq).

Once again the Western media are strikingly absent, probably following instructions from His Master’s Voice.
-----------------------------------

My dear Dirk,

You have been receiving bulletins from me throughout the day which I know full well, you find quite dry and without any feeling or sentiment – well now I am writing to you to let you know what it was really like watching and listening – watching all these thousands of young men and women as well as the old demonstrating peacefully and knowing full well they are going to be attacked, arrested and probably in some cases killed for no reason other than wanting freedom and dignity.

I  was also listening to their fervor and anguish which literally brought me to tears and broke my heart probably for the umpteenth millionth time since the invasion and occupation of Iraq asking myself all the time how can the world be so blind and deaf – and for the past two weeks I have felt that the world is not only deaf  and blind but dumb also, with a very few exceptions , of course!

We started the Martyr’s Day, for that is what the young people have called it, with the execution of a young married man being taken away in  full sight of his young wife and children by a force called Battalion  24,  formerly known as the infamous, Muthanna Battalion commanded by the very infamous Raheem Risen Al Baythani who has commanded this battalion in Abu Ghraib and has terrorized its citizens since he took over which is around 3 years ago – before that he was in command of Hay Al Jamia’a which he also terrorized – infact, he is famous for terrorizing the areas he has taken command of – I’ve heard that he tells the people that they are all his slaves!

The young man, Ahmed Inizie Al Hamdani was found executed a short while later just 50 meters from his home….., in the village of Al Hamdaniya in Abu Ghraib.

Of course, last night it was announced that the so called government had imposed a curfew from 12 o’clock midnight, last night, to 6.00 a.m. Saturday morning throughout Iraq.   They had also imposed a curfew on all vehicles in Baghdad and in all Iraq’s cities.

The Tahrir Square demonstrators were beaten with electric truncheons and clubs and a chase took place in all the neighbouring side streets , hotels and buildings!   A number of journalists and hoteliers were arrested.   Chased by water cannon and looked on from above by helicopters!   Watched also from the Turkish Restaurant bulding by this weeks new Death Squad - they were the people who gave commands and orders to the security troops to shoot and beatup!   Plaoma will have the details in the attached report.

In all the Iraqi cities people were threatened under pain of death and shoot to kill orders were given by police officers to their men in order to stop the demonstrations and yet people still came out and demonstrated in most of the cities – the most important of which were Baghdad, Mosul, Sammarra’a, Basra, Nejef, Deewaniya, Theeqarr.   They all sang about Maliki being a liar – it is amazing how this man is so much without dignity – hundreds and thousands of Iraqis have been singing a special song for him about his being a thief and a liar for the past 2 weeks – anyone else would have resigned and got out but not he.

There are a whole spate of songs about him and his regime of crooks and plunderers now – I will be sending you some very soon.

Sulaymaniya – yes, I must never forget Sulaymaniya – brave Sulaymaniya who has paid so expensively for its revolt against corruption and oppression and who started all of this …. 3 days ago it gave its youngest – a 12 year old boy.

We, too, paid, yes, we too paid. Today a young girl, was shot by a sniper in Sammarra’a – and the snipers are all members of the Iranian Quds Army who were positioned on the top of buildings.

Today, the brave men of Mosul have decided to stage a sit in which they will not give up until their demands are met – they are holding it  in the Sports Stadium.   The neighbouring families have started keeping them supplied with food and water.

Already Mosul has paid up so many young lives – I will soon be sending you a list of the young people killed by security forces.

The press, as usual suffered today – three members of the press were attacked so badly by the security forces in Basra that they ended in hospital and a fourth was also attacked – we saw blood streaming from their heads and faces.   One of them said that he was told that he was an enemy of society!

The press also suffered in Tahrir Square and you will be hearing about that in more detail from Pedro.   Pedro was told by one of them that they were in touch with the UN representative in Baghdad and had given him a detailed report – I find the whole idea of the UN very amusing – there is an old proverb in Arabic, Dirk – which more or less says that you may go on calling but there is no life in the person you are calling and a stone would answer you had you called it!

The press was barred from cities like Tikreet and Haweeja was totally surrounded by the army and the police.

I listened to an old Imam from Kirkuk calling everyone to fight oppression of the Ashawiss in Kirkuk and the oppression of the huge army that has occupied Iraq – he made the tears come to my eyes and broke my heart – I listened to an old resistance fighter reminding the new pontious pilates and Judas Escariots of the 21st century – Dr. Salman Al Jumaili and Dr. Rafi’i Al Essawi who sold thir country, their people and their religion for a  handful of silver and for a chair; he also encouraged the people to continue their fight and told us that we will soon liberate ourselves.   He was marvelous – both these men were marvelous - their voices and words still ring in my ears.   I also heard a young man addressing Maliki and telling him that he really is the most dismal of cowards – he was so frightened of people demonstrating peacefully and felt that it was essential to take such draconious measures and he wondered what he would do had these people been carrying arms; he paused for a minute and then told him we soon will!

Women – oh so many women demonstrated and so many women spoke and encouraged the young people of Iraq to go on with their brave fight.

– one of these women said that she had lost 3 sons – that no one should be frightened of Maliki and that his days are numbered – yes, it was quite an emotional day – something I don’t like expressing except to the people closest to my heart, as you well know- the people who stood by and suffered with us for our suffering for the slow murder of Iraq.

Again I ask, are the American Adminsitration and the European Community blind??? Is the world blind – is it deaf????

Well, just to update you, the Unions in Iraq are demonstrating in Tahrir Square tomorrow and Monday we’ll see demonstrations of Regret.   (Regret for having participated in the general election and they’ve asked people to come with a finger painted in red!).

Sallams and Peace.

Asma Al Haidari

Day of the Martyr: Demonstrators and journalists under attack

CEOSI, 4 de marzo de 2011
www.iraqsolidaridad.org

Iraqi security forces have shot with live ammunition against demonstrators in different cities in Iraq. Aisha Haitham  A. al Daraji, a young girl has been killed in Samarra after being wounded by bullets, according to Al Rafidain TV.   She was shot by a sniper stationed on top of a building.    (Snipers have been stationed in Samarra on top of all the buildings.   They are members of the Iranian Quds Army).

Unfortunately, this is not the only casualty. This morning, in the village of Al Hamdaniya, near Abu Ghraib, Ahmed Inizie al Hamdani one of the organizers of today’s demonstrations, was  pulled away from his home and shot him at point-blank range before his wife and his sons and daughters. Colonel Risen al Baizani  in charge of 24th Brigade,  was responsible for this crime.

CEOSI was in contact with a well-known journalist who was in Tahrir Square; in Baghdad [we omit his/her name for security reasons]. This person has informed us that the journalists, especially audiovisual ones, are being harassed and hounded. He/she claimed that tens of demonstrators have been arrested and people are afraid they suffer torture, as they did with the people who were arrested last Friday 25 February in Maliki prisons. UN Rapporteur has been informed of these facts.

The direction for the repression was being carried out from the roof of a building in construction near Tahrir Square by Hasan Sunaid, Al Dawa MP and Chairman of the Security Committee, Adnan al Asadi, deputy minister of Internal Affairs, Shiruan al Waili, Advisor to the National Security Commission, and general Ali Musawi, chief of this police operation.
In Fallujah and Diyalah two demonstrations have been repressed by the police forces. Some mosques close to the government policies or political parties have tried to convince people to stay at home.

It is said that there have been bribery attempts ($ 50.000) trying to convince some sheiks to convince their people to stay home. The army also has threatened to shoot anyone who tried to demonstrate.

At 12:15 pm Al Bagdadiya TV interviewed some physicians in Samarra, who were carrying out a sit-in because they were not allowed to treat the wounded people. The same source claimed that in Samarra there were Iranian troops.

Media

Once again, media has been attacked by the Iraqi security forces. We have to remember that the Occupied Iraq is the country in which more journalists have been killed in History (even more than in Vietnam).

In spite of the Media international organizations calls to allow journalists make their job, —even Tareq al Hashemi, deputy minister of Internal Affairs has made a call— a group of journalist has been attacked in Basra while informing about the demonstrations in that city. Three of them are wounded and have been taken to Hospital, according to their statements to Al SharquiyaTV.
Al Rasd wal Maalumat al Wataniya, an Iraqi monitoring organization, has stated that general Kadem Abu al Hil, chancelor of the police at Muthanna province, has ordered to block the satellite cameras and those on the ground [1].
It is also reported that Salah al-Din TV has been closed by security forces. In Tikrit, Iraqi security forces have close Al Rafidain TV offices and journalist are forbidden to enter the city
Next demonstrations (called through social networks):
March 7, first anniversary of the elections
March 11, Friday of demonstrations.

IraqSolidaridad footnotes:

1.- See in Arabic the full text:  http://www.almansore.com/Art.php?id=23109.

Dirk Adriaensens is member of the BRussells Tribunal Executive Committee

Dirk Adriaensens is a frequent contributor to Global Research.  Global Research Articles by Dirk Adriaensens

LONDON!!

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 06:56:50 AM »
this is the democracy the system has brought to iraq you won't hear in the mainstream news in the west, its sad shit

from www.globalresearch.ca

How the US-NATO Alliance has "Killed" Education in Iraq
Report on a Conference held at Ghent University

by Dr. Bert De Belder

Global Research, March 14, 2011

Print this article

digg

THE MURDER OF THE IRAQI EDUCATION

(Bert De Belder, coordinator of Intal and Medical Aid For the Third World)

From March 9 to 11 a prestigious international seminar on education in Iraq in time of war and occupation took place in Ghent University. Organised by the BRussells Tribunal and the Research Center for the Middle East and North Africa from the Ghent University (MENARG), this initiative brought together up to 200 Iraqi and international experts on education and culture, and activists from all over the world.

Prof. Sami Zemni of Ghent University outlined at the opening session a very bleak picture of education in Iraq. A recent UNESCO report states that five of the 30 million Iraqis today are illiterate - even though the country in 1982 from the same UNESCO had received a prize for eradicating illiteracy! 40% of Iraqi children leave school at an early age because of the war: they must work to increase family income, or they are displaced with their families, or it's not safe for them to go to school. More than 400 academics have been murdered in a systematic campaign.

U.S. officials like Paul Wolfowitz (Deputy Defense Secretary) called this unashamedly a policy of “state ending", the blunt destruction of each state they target. This policy also resulted into a lamentable state of public services: electricity, sewerage, water supply. Health care is a catastrophe. Prof. Saad Naji Jawad (Baghdad University) gave the audience some staggering figures. In a recently released report from the Iraqi Health Ministry it is said that since the invasion and occupation of Iraq in 2003 between 8000 and 9000 doctors have fled the country. More than 2000 doctors have been murdered.

A forgotten scandal

Hans von Sponeck was appointed in October 1998 as United Nations Humanitarian Coordinator in Iraq, at that time suffering heavily under Western imposed sanctions. In protest, he resigned in February 2000, and since then he has been very active as an author, speaker, professor and activist against the occupation of Iraq. Hans von Sponeck called the situation in Iraq a "forgotten international scandal ", and stressed that "all elements of international law as it has developed over 150 years, have been violated." Eight years of war and destruction have turned Iraq into "the largest garbage belt in the world" with masses of destroyed ordnance, unexploded ordnance and mine fields. And the country seems to have also thrown the education of its people in the dustbin. Von Sponeck cited an Oxfam report: "92% of Iraqi children are suffering from learning difficulties.”

The former UN chief blamed the United States and Britain for this disastrous situation, but underlined that we all have a responsibility not to forget Iraq. Also Saad Naji Sawad emphasized to move beyond criticism, and to suggest also solutions and take action.

And that is exactly what the BRussells Tribunal is doing for many years with brio. In this case defending the Iraqi education with a Ghent Charter in defence of Iraqi academia, immediately signed by the rectors of five Belgian universities, and a string of national and international personalities.

An Arab revolt, also in occupied Iraq

Like Cairo (Egypt) also Baghdad has its Tahrir Square. On Friday, March 4, 10.000 to 12,000 people protested in the streets against corruption and repression of the Al Maliki government. Yahya Al-Kubaisa is a young Iraqi professor in Amman (Jordan), but he follows events in his country closely. He tells me that the popular uprising in Iraq is unique, "the most important qualitative change in Iraq since 2003”. And like a real professor, he systematically identifies the reasons for it:

"1. It is the first time that the younger Iraqi generations are on the streets.

2. The movement is nationwide. The whole country expresses the same demands, aimed against the national government. That goes against the sectarian image and efforts in trying to dividing Iraq along sectarian lines.

3. Protests take place throughout Iraq, in 16 of the 18 Governorate (provinces, ed).

And 4. Actually it's the first time since the '60s that you can speak of spontaneous and peaceful civilian demonstrations."

I ask about the demands of the demonstrators, and they appear to be strikingly parallel to that in Tunisia or Egypt. Yahya Al Kubaisi: "I would rank the demands in four categories. There are slogans for better public services (water, electricity, health care). The demonstrators are also carrying slogans against widespread corruption. People want more jobs. And finally, the protesters want more freedom and are opposed to violations of human rights. These demands are not necessarily present everywhere at the same time or location. And out of cautiousness they are not packaged as demands for the fall of the regime, but for the "reform" of the regime. "

Original article: http://www.intal.be/nl/article/de-moord-op-het-iraakse-onderwijs-internationaal-aangeklaagd-gent, translated by Dirk Adriaensens, member of the BRussells Tribunal executive Committee.

Bert De Belder is a frequent contributor to Global Research.  Global Research Articles by Bert De Belder