Author Topic: Chris The Glove Taylor Interview (Ruthless, Death Row, Aftermath Producer)  (Read 1082 times)

DTG Entertainment

Re: Chris The Glove Taylor Interview (Ruthless, Death Row, Aftermath Producer)
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2011, 12:27:26 PM »
Yeah, "Xxplosive" was originally a King T song called "The Future". Hittman said that in one of his old interviews.
yeah i heard about that, i think it's also mentioned in dre's biography by ronin ro(perhaps the interview was quoted there, i can't remember)

Hittman interview mentions The Future:

http://www.thaformula.com/the_last_dayz_-_h_i_t_t_m_a_n__-_part_i.htm

+ Bonus:

http://www.thaformula.com/hittman_the_last_days_thaformula_music.html

<--- Did Ben Baller ever leak this?

King T Interview:

http://www.thaformula.com/the_likwit_committee_-_day_5_-_king_tee.htm

In regards to Hello and the other song, anything is possible. Credits have been stolen before, then again it seems a lot of dudes at Aftermath take credit for shit they didn't do.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 12:36:33 PM by Shit Lord: Victorious - DBA »

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2011, 12:32:58 PM »
But the DJ named Glove has reigned supreme
As the turntable wizard of the Hip Hop scene
So listen to him, check him out
But remember this, when The Glove's on the wheels of steel he's Recklesssss

+ 1 D-Nice! 8)

Okka

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2011, 12:49:10 PM »
In regards to Hello and the other song, anything is possible. Credits have been stolen before, then again it seems a lot of dudes at Aftermath take credit for shit they didn't do.

Yeah, true that. A lot of people are sayin' they produced songs that were produced by Dr. Dre & Mel-Man ("Hello" for example, the booklet of "War & Peace" II says that Chris "The Glove" Taylor played the keys on the song with Tommy Costner Jr.) Also Neff-U and them dudes said they produced some songs that were produced by Eminem (according to the booklet credits)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 12:51:59 PM by Okka »

Layeth THe Smacketh Down

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2011, 01:36:20 PM »

Yeah, true that. A lot of people are sayin' they produced songs that were produced by Dr. Dre & Mel-Man ("Hello" for example, the booklet of "War & Peace" II says that Chris "The Glove" Taylor played the keys on the song with Tommy Costner Jr.) Also Neff-U and them dudes said they produced some songs that were produced by Eminem (according to the booklet credits)

In other music genres people who play keys get credited as playing keys, but in hip hop people that play keyboards want to take credit as producer.

DTG Entertainment

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2011, 01:37:46 PM »

In other music genres people who play keys get credited as playing keys, but in hip hop people that play keyboards want to take credit as producer.

Soopafly played "Keys" for Daz, how do Daz's productions sound without Soopafly? It's kind of like a way to get away without giving proper credit.

Layeth THe Smacketh Down

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2011, 01:43:19 PM »

Soopafly played "Keys" for Daz, how do Daz's productions sound without Soopafly? It's kind of like a way to get away without giving proper credit.

My understanding is that the producer is the one who dictates and oversees the sound of the song.  The keyboard player is someone that plays keyboards under the direction of the producer.

DTG Entertainment

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2011, 02:01:43 PM »

My understanding is that the producer is the one who dictates and oversees the sound of the song.  The keyboard player is someone that plays keyboards under the direction of the producer.

Correct, but a lot of these dudes who are credited as producers aren't the producers just by themselves. Like a lot of credit gets misplaced, like when D.O.C. told Snoop how to rap the songs on The Chronic - that's production. That's like telling a singer how to sing, and that's production, but D.O.C. was credited as a writer on that or just not credited at all or you'll have a beat/production that's basically already done then someone like Dre will add a few elements and make it his beat. Diddy's guilty of stuff like that, so I wouldn't doubt Dre is too.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 02:04:59 PM by Shit Lord: Victorious - DBA »

Jimmy H.

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2011, 05:49:33 PM »
Correct, but a lot of these dudes who are credited as producers aren't the producers just by themselves. Like a lot of credit gets misplaced, like when D.O.C. told Snoop how to rap the songs on The Chronic - that's production. That's like telling a singer how to sing, and that's production, but D.O.C. was credited as a writer on that or just not credited at all or you'll have a beat/production that's basically already done then someone like Dre will add a few elements and make it his beat. Diddy's guilty of stuff like that, so I wouldn't doubt Dre is too.
Yes, but if you're working for a major label or studio, everyone has input. The producer (or in the case of a movie, director) is the one who has the final say. It's gonna be a collaborative effort or it won't work at all. A producer is very rarely (especially on a major level) going to come up with the concept from scratch and then create every little detail. The idea that Dr. Dre or any producer/movie director/sports coach/etc. are these people who come up with every idea on their own is just not acurrate. They make for great stories but like D.O.C. said in that interview he did recently, "every succesful person has at least five or six people helping them get there". Producers are ultimately decision-makers. 

DTG Entertainment

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2011, 06:31:10 PM »
Yes, but if you're working for a major label or studio, everyone has input. The producer (or in the case of a movie, director) is the one who has the final say. It's gonna be a collaborative effort or it won't work at all. A producer is very rarely (especially on a major level) going to come up with the concept from scratch and then create every little detail. The idea that Dr. Dre or any producer/movie director/sports coach/etc. are these people who come up with every idea on their own is just not acurrate. They make for great stories but like D.O.C. said in that interview he did recently, "every succesful person has at least five or six people helping them get there". Producers are ultimately decision-makers. 

This applies only to hip hop, I assume, because it's a lot different in other genres of music to my knowledge.

DTG Entertainment

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2011, 06:34:21 PM »

This applies only to hip hop, I assume, because it's a lot different in other genres of music to my knowledge.

Actually, let me correct that, to high paid "producers" like Dre. 2Pac got co-production credits on songs where he just hummed a melody when Johnny J or Hurt M Badd did all the work. 2Pac couldn't actually do a beat himself. So, I think everyone has a different definition of production.

Layeth THe Smacketh Down

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2011, 06:41:45 PM »

I also viewed production as similar to directing.  My understanding is that the producer like the director decides how the scene is shot and what stays in or out, a music producer decides the overall direction of how the song is going to sound.  He decides what sound goes with another sound as opposed to someone who is just brought in to play a melody on a keyboard or guitar.  The person that creates a melody usually gets writing credit but not production credit because they don't supervise the song.

DTG Entertainment

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2011, 06:43:07 PM »

I also viewed production as similar to directing.  My understanding is that the producer like the director decides how the scene is shot and what stays in or out, a music producer decides the overall direction of how the song is going to sound.  He decides what sound goes with another sound as opposed to someone who is just brought in to play a melody on a keyboard or guitar.  The person that creates a melody usually gets writing credit but not production credit because they don't supervise the song.

Tell that to 2Pac, Johnny J (R.I.P.), Hurt M Badd, and Death Row Records. Check your All Eyez On Me album, look at songs like All About You. Not to take away from Dre's amazing talent, but the assignment of credit for certain things is very...iffy.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2011, 09:01:09 PM »
I also viewed production as similar to directing.  My understanding is that the producer like the director decides how the scene is shot and what stays in or out, a music producer decides the overall direction of how the song is going to sound.  He decides what sound goes with another sound as opposed to someone who is just brought in to play a melody on a keyboard or guitar.  The person that creates a melody usually gets writing credit but not production credit because they don't supervise the song.
Well, I think film directing and music producing are similar in that neither role is clear cut in terms of what is right or wrong. The same way you might have a director who comes out of film school and has a more technical understanding or someone who just picked it up on their own and is more an "actor's director", they are both sharing that same title. I like to use directing as an example because I've had some experience in that field and it's interesting how much a line can get blurred when you collaborate with creative people. It's funny how on even on the lowest of low-budget operations, someone will literally come up with an idea and if you decide to use it, suddenly, they think they are entitled to a bigger credit. I think from the outside, people who've never actually collaborated with multiple people on a creative level think it's just like writing where you come up with a creative idea and it's as easy as telling someone else to do it. Everybody on a set or in a recording studio wants to CREATE. Nobody is trying to be the hired technician who just stood there and was dictated to. And you're supposed to encourage that creativity. Your job isn't to create the whole fucking thing from start to end. It's to maintain an enviroment where everything works. Using your technical skills to create something in your head is one thing. Trying to verbalize to another person how a specific vocal tone or cadence needs to be performed is quite another. A lot is made of the creative proccess but I don't think enough is made of the people skills that that kind of job requires.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2011, 12:55:55 AM »
dope and insightful interview. didn't know he had a hand in those tracks he said he produced but i believe him. it's not the first time we've heard this about dre.
that's what happens when you're a big name

but why do these former collaborators keep talking, but don't file a lawsuit?
it makes them look like jealous ex girlfriends
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 12:58:31 AM by From Dre-Day to Helter Skelter »

DTG Entertainment

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2011, 02:20:03 AM »
dope and insightful interview. didn't know he had a hand in those tracks he said he produced but i believe him. it's not the first time we've heard this about dre.
that's what happens when you're a big name

but why do these former collaborators keep talking, but don't file a lawsuit?
it makes them look like jealous ex girlfriends

Not sure to be honest, I'd say because they were stupid and signed some paperwork forfeiting their right to do so due to compensation.