Author Topic: Phil Jackson: "Kobe has patterned himself after Michael......he is not michael"  (Read 967 times)

OG Hack Wilson

Phil Jackson has been there, he has played golf with Michael Jordan. He has had dinners with Kobe Bryant. He has coached them both. He has won championships with both. His perspective on comparing the greatest player of his generation (if not all time) and his heir apparent may have the most insight.

And he wants us to stop comparing the two.

Really, we need to stop comparing anyone to Jordan, he told T.J. Simers of the Los Angeles Times.

“Kobe has patterned himself after Michael, and there are a lot of identical things there, but it’s one thing to hope to be like him, it’s another thing to be like him….

“I’m with [ESPN's] Bill Simmons on this,” he says. “We have to take Michael Jordan out of the equation. Stop comparing anyone to Michael Jordan. It’s just not fair. He was remarkable. Kobe’s in his own sphere.

“He doesn’t shoot the same percentage [.455] as Michael [.497]. He has the same characteristics as Michael, but he’s not the same player. It takes nothing away from him — he’s a great player in his own right.”
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
LOL. Can't wait for NIK to make a thread how "Phil Jackson is overrated & is on drugs" lol.

OG Hack Wilson

LOL. Can't wait for NIK to make a thread how "Phil Jackson is overrated & is on drugs" lol.

it's probably partly true if u think weeds a drug - but the drugs have not caused him to think wrong :)

if u gave Don Nelson the 90's bulls roster he ATLEAST wins 4 titles
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!

it's probably partly true if u think weeds a drug - but the drugs have not caused him to think wrong :)

If you gave Stevie Wonder the 90's Bulls roster & the three-peat Lakers team he would be on pace for at six rings lol.

OG Hack Wilson

If you gave Stevie Wonder the 90's Bulls roster & the three-peat Lakers team he would be on pace for at six rings lol.

nah dude those early 2000s Kings teams wouldve stumped STevie :D

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
^Na, I never said the refs would be different; just the Lakers coach. ;)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Phil Jackson has been there, he has played golf with Michael Jordan. He has had dinners with Kobe Bryant. He has coached them both. He has won championships with both. His perspective on comparing the greatest player of his generation (if not all time) and his heir apparent may have the most insight.

Really, we need to stop comparing anyone to Jordan, he told T.J. Simers of the Los Angeles Times.

“Kobe has patterned himself after Michael, and there are a lot of identical things there, but it’s one thing to hope to be like him, it’s another thing to be like him….

“I’m with [ESPN's] Bill Simmons on this,” he says. “We have to take Michael Jordan out of the equation. Stop comparing anyone to Michael Jordan. It’s just not fair. He was remarkable. Kobe’s in his own sphere.

“He doesn’t shoot the same percentage [.455] as Michael [.497]. He has the same characteristics as Michael, but he’s not the same player. It takes nothing away from him — he’s a great player in his own right.”

That's interesting that Jordan shot at a higher percentage.  I think Kobe is a better pure shooter than Jordan and everyone knows that.  Kobe is much more deadly from long range, and you very rarely saw Jordan shoot any of those long distance three's Kobe takes that are often well-beyond the three point arc.

But whatever Jordan didn't have on Kobe in the way of shooting touch, he made up for in physical and mental control.  Jordan seemed to have more strength and body control than Kobe.  So Jordan was able to get good looks at the basket easier than Kobe Bryant.   Jordan also was able to mentally control a basketball game in a way nobody else can.  From beginning to the end you always felt Jordan had a firm grip on everything that went down on the basketball court.

Also, as a icon of the sport Jordan was more articulate than Kobe, but that's a separate subject.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 02:36:35 PM by Infinite- African West Coastin' 2010 »
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

.:DaYg0sTyLz:.

That's interesting that Jordan shot at a higher percentage.  I think Kobe is a better pure shooter than Jordan and everyone knows that.  Kobe is much more deadly from long range, and you very rarely saw Jordan shoot any of those long distance three's Kobe takes that are often well-beyond the three point arc.

But whatever Jordan didn't have on Kobe in the way of shooting touch, he made up for in physical and mental control.  Jordan seemed to have more strength and body control than Kobe.  So Jordan was able to get good looks at the basket easier than Kobe Bryant.   Jordan also was able to mentally control a basketball game in a way nobody else can.  From beginning to the end you always felt Jordan had a firm grip on everything that went down on the basketball court.

Also, as a icon of the sport Jordan was more articulate than Kobe, but that's a separate subject.

I think Kobe tends to settle for outside jumpers more than Jordan would too. A lot of times outside, and very contested jumpers. Also, as Jordan aged he developed a "go-to" move that he perfected. Kobe does have a solid arsenal...but doesnt really have that ONE move that is just unstoppable (like Jordans fade-away, Kareems Sky Hook, Hakeems Dream Shake, etc). He has a lot of different moves to get off a shot, but not that ONE move, that he can rely on every trip down the floor if he wanted. One more thing too, Jordan drew a LOT of fouls driving to the hoop. When you get fouled on a shot, it only counts as a shot attempt IF you make the basket. If you dont, it doesnt count as a shot attempt. That could have helped Jordans FG% also.
"...and these niggas gettin tattoo tears...industry Bloods that show fear, when the authentics are near"

teecee

First, Kobe's outside shooting is overly applauded.  Its not like he shoots a GREAT percentage from three, but it is better than MJ.

Second, PJ, who has coached both for many years, clearly has a good idea who is better, and he says it here (as he has before), although in a politically correct way.

Frankly, I think Phil is trying to help Kobe; its almost unfair that he is compared to MJ when Jordan is clearly that much better.   3 more championships will not make Kobe better, and Jackson knows this.

The ONLY thing Kobe has on MJ is 3 pt shooting, and even then he isn't a GREAT 3 point shooter.  So I've always wondered why this is even debated.  Kobe fan propaganda has fuelled this i suspect.

Still, Kobe is the CLOSEST one, which is an incredible feat in itself, and should be good enough for Kobe stans/fans

teecee

And don't none of you Kobe stans tell me this is some Phil Jackson motivation type shit

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th

Second, PJ, who has coached both for many years, clearly has a good idea who is better, and he says it here (as he has before), although in a politically correct way.

Where's the link?
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Still, Kobe is the CLOSEST one, which is an incredible feat in itself, and should be good enough for Kobe stans/fans

Kobe is the closest thing to MJ, but not the closest thing to the greatest player of all time. People always use MJ as the measuring stick. Unfortunately, the only players who will ever get compared to him are perimeter players. The league likes to build up perimeter guys rather than bigmen. Which is why the debate over who is the best player in the world, is always limited to perimeter guys. Kobe might be the closest thing to MJ because of his style of play, but up until this last championship, it was difficult to find many experts who had him ranked in the top 10 all time.
"...and these niggas gettin tattoo tears...industry Bloods that show fear, when the authentics are near"

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
First, Kobe's outside shooting is overly applauded.  Its not like he shoots a GREAT percentage from three, but it is better than MJ.

Frankly, I think Phil is trying to help Kobe; its almost unfair that he is compared to MJ when Jordan is clearly that much better.   3 more championships will not make Kobe better, and Jackson knows this.

The ONLY thing Kobe has on MJ is 3 pt shooting, and even then he isn't a GREAT 3 point shooter.  So I've always wondered why this is even debated.  Kobe fan propaganda has fuelled this i suspect.

Yeah it really is annoying how some people act as if Kobe was as good as Ray Allen from the 3 point line... when the fact is that even LeBron has been BETTER last season. And LeBron is far from a "great" 3 pt shooter. He was BETTER than Kobe last season - fact.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

OG Hack Wilson

Kobe is the closest thing to MJ, but not the closest thing to the greatest player of all time. People always use MJ as the measuring stick. Unfortunately, the only players who will ever get compared to him are perimeter players. The league likes to build up perimeter guys rather than bigmen. Which is why the debate over who is the best player in the world, is always limited to perimeter guys. Kobe might be the closest thing to MJ because of his style of play, but up until this last championship, it was difficult to find many experts who had him ranked in the top 10 all time.

the best players ever (at this very moment)

Bill Russell   (11 rings, 5 MVP's....and he had to do it over Wilt.  nobody touching this guy)
Michael Jordan
Larry Bird
Oscar Charleston
Wilt Chamberlain
Magic Johnson
Kareem Abdoul Jabbar
Shaq
Hakeem
Dr. J
Kevin Garnett
Tim Duncan
Karl Malone
Jerry West
John Stockton   (I'll put him over Kobe because of all the games he had 13+ assists which equals Kobe's scoring average)
Kobe
Lebron
Barkley
Ewing
McHale

the best players ever (at this very moment)

Bill Russell   (11 rings, 5 MVP's....and he had to do it over Wilt.  nobody touching this guy)
Michael Jordan
Larry Bird
Oscar Charleston
Wilt Chamberlain
Magic Johnson
Kareem Abdoul Jabbar
Shaq
Hakeem
Dr. J
Kevin Garnett
Tim Duncan
Karl Malone
Jerry West
John Stockton   (I'll put him over Kobe because of all the games he had 13+ assists which equals Kobe's scoring average)
Kobe
Lebron
Barkley
Ewing
McHale

lol

When you show so much Celtic bias, it makes your whole list look like bullshit man. For one, no one consideres Jordan #2 lol. Also, Bird and Magic are typically only one spot away from eachother. I have seen far more lists that have Magic ahead of Bird though. But it could be argued either way. Garnett above Duncan is absolutely fuckin amazing lol. I have never seen that. Duncan is widely considered the greatest PF of all time, ahead of Malone and Barkley. Those two are typically ranked ahead of Garnett. So you having Garnett so high is ridiculous. Mchale was good, but belongs NOwhere near this list. Neither does Ewing. Robinson was a far better player than Ewing, but I would be fine with someone leaving him off this list too. LeBron might get here eventually, but right now...no.

My post wasnt to take a shot at Kobe. Just to show how misleading it is to say "Kobe is the closest thing to MJ". I would say that now, Kobe could be considered top 10 all time. Where in the top ten, im not sure. Definitely not top 5...but somewhere between 6 and 10. Clearly the best players from this generation have been Shaq, Duncan, and Kobe. All three should be top ten I think, and all three between 6 and 10. Lebron could get up there when its all said and done, but he would be considered the generation after Shaq, Duncan, and Kobe.