Author Topic: Media and Politicians blame rap music  (Read 389 times)

S.J

Media and Politicians blame rap music
« on: January 06, 2003, 12:20:23 PM »
Did anyone see the media try to blame rap music for the death of the two teenage girls. ITV news played a NWA video with the lyrics underneath, obviously showing the most violent part they could find. David Blunkett condemed gangsta rap as appalling, he said said there was a link between gun violence, Class A drugs and rap music.

He said: "I am not going to get into the issue of censoring.

"But I am concerned that we need to talk to the record producers, to the distributors, to those who are actually engaged in the music business about what is and isn't acceptable."

Mr Blunkett made his comments after listening to an excerpt from U Don't Know by US rap artist, Jay-Z, containing the lines: "Ya'll nervous knowin' them guns on full service, ready to fire; One body, two body, three body, four Young sittin' on paper, I'm above the law".

The home secretary pledged to work with community leaders to tackle the culture of "deep anger" which gave rise to gang violence.

Let's not pretend that ending gun criminality on the streets of Hackney or Birmingham is as simple as getting people to sing different songs

Labour MP Kim Howells said: "For years I have been very worried about these hateful lyrics that these boasting macho idiot rappers come out with."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/2632343.stm

Kim Howells and David Blunkett are racist crackers. The music reflects society not the other way around, there were gangs before rap music existed and there still would be today if rap music didn't exist. Gangsta movies existed before gangsta rap. The Krays didn't become gangsters after listening to a rap CD.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/2624539.stm
« Last Edit: January 06, 2003, 12:58:56 PM by S.J »
But I'm a do it like this so your crew will know
Tie your leg to a car, tie the other to a pole
Talk shit and laugh cause I got the gift of gab
Hop in the car, hit the gas, watch your ass split in half
-Rappin Ron

CharlieBrown

• Chillin' Wit Snoopy, eating Peanuts
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Dre, the only Dr I know who performs miracles"
Re:Media and Politicians blame rap music
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2003, 12:36:18 PM »
Another thing thats really pissed me off about this (aswell as what you've written) is that New Labour have always talked about helping those who are "socially excluded", yet what is there solution to solve this problem of people who are socially excluded, to put them in jail for longer and thats about it. Well done Mr Blunkett you really are blind to the facts and solutions.

Charlie, lost his life right in front of the party...

Don Seer

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2003, 12:44:07 PM »
^ for those who dont know. british MP david blunkett is actually blind.

Woodrow

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2003, 12:50:35 PM »
^ for those who dont know. british MP david blunkett is actually blind.

Vision Impared or just blind to the facts?

I think it's funny that these politicans try and speak on American Culture and Entertainment and know nothing about it. The Politicans in our own country are pretty much clueless when it comes to this issue, so I don't see how somebody from Britian would try and speak on it. I wonder what would happen to the board if they banned rap music over there? Oh well, God bless the Internet.

Don Seer

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2003, 02:13:31 PM »
vision impaired. guide dog (ermm americans call them seeing eye dogs i think) and all

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2003, 02:22:23 PM »
How bout we start censoring Arnold Schwarzanegger and Vin Disel films as well? If we do that, there's no way mureders would exist in this world!

Don Seer

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2003, 02:27:17 PM »
we all know the answer to this... lets drive-by those bitches!! lol

cmon.. we know some idiots take this shit too serious, and that people becoming crimiinals isnt due to music. most politicians havent ever seen the side of the world half of us have.

min0rity

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2003, 02:56:24 PM »
blaming rap music on violence is really nothing new....its the same old bullshit

Joachim

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2003, 03:04:27 PM »
Personally, i think Blunkett has attacked Gangsta Rap and Garage to take the focus (media attention) away from the fact that the police are out of touch with the streets and what is going on on them, they're just not cutting the mustard and have'nt been for a while.

Guns are far too easily accessible nowdays for my liking and they're still becoming more and more accessible.

Jay ay Beee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • One of the Greatest Moments in Football History
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2003, 04:08:52 PM »
most politicians havent ever seen the side of the world half of us have.

Word

Look at me I grew up on the tough streets of Birmingham

lolz

Doggystylin

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2003, 04:38:47 PM »
its just weak minded people that cant handle entertainment, its their own damn faults, what about the millions of others that dont go around killin everyday but listen and watch the same shit

Entreri117

• Master Chief
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2003, 04:42:56 PM »
Kim Howells and David Blunkett are racist crackers

Look in the mirror at who's racist...

Fuckin hipocrite...

LOL

bLaDe

• The Paradoxical Third Eye
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ..: Monolith :..
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2003, 06:49:06 PM »
I have seen such displays of ignorance before.  In my opinion, it isnt music to blame.  The person performing acts of voilence etc because he listened to a song which had voilent lyrics, must have such tendencies already in his head.  I mean, for arguements sake, lets say rap music was banned, non existant.  Now someone stabs his family member with scissors, and blames his actions on the movie "Halloween".  Its just dumb, turn on the tv for Gods sakes, you'll see a buncha people killing each other, what about that?
Same thing with religion, you cant blame God, or religion for wars, blame the people, they just find something, misinterpret it, or take it to seriously, and boom the blame goes to music, religion, tv, etc...  
Plus there are a lot of positive lyrics in rap music, A LOT, but they fail to notice that huh ...

He is right in some ways tho.  Its like, in todays society, having sex, 'pimpn', etc is considered a cool thing.  Just look at high skool, its looked at as a symbol of maturty etc.  I have noticed ,many blond girls act stupid, because subconciously society influences them in that way, it makes them beleive, its ok to be dumb, all blonds are looked upon like that anyway.  Or like in movies, the cool good guys smoked and drunk, so then it was viewed as a symbol of "machoness".  I mean there are a million examples on how people are getting negativly influenced, but the truth is, you cant do much about it.  Education, knowledge is the only way out imo..peace

P.S - JayZ sucks

-{bLaDe}  
« Last Edit: January 06, 2003, 06:53:56 PM by .:[b L a D e]:. »
Waving My Double Edged Sword, God Sharpened My Blade...
Its Just Me Against The World, And The Evil That He Made...

Kaidy

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2003, 07:22:53 PM »
Are the government really that stupid and short-sighted, or is it just something to take the attention away from their dithering policies and bad handling of um, well, everything.

For every tragedy there's a scapegoat. And what better thing to place the blame on than a majorly Black form of music that is alien to the (voting) middle class.

I wish for once the govt. would step up and take the blame for a failing society. Then maybe they could make some real changes.