Author Topic: Underrated westcoast albums and your personal classics!  (Read 2159 times)

samutahjazz

• Muthafuckin' OG
Underrated westcoast albums and your personal classics!
« on: March 29, 2011, 09:09:51 PM »

What are some of your favorite westcoast albums that you think are overlooked and underrated? personal classics? dont forget to write a little explanation for each album..

heres my list, no particular order...

Daz- only on the left side.   This one had super dope production most of the way thru, i really like it cause of the ultra bass heavy traccs for my subs (this is how we do it, do your thang) and that track with kurupt, thiz ihow we live, classic cali production. also like the other features a lot, obie trice surprised me. i saw it everywhere the week it came out so it must have got pretty good distribution, just never hear it talked about that much.

RBX- Broken silence.   X did a more"hip hop" style rather than g-funk west coast album here, i onlly disliked a couple tracks (bounce to this, fiya) but it does include a few west sounding bangers like the snoop produced "overdue". The collabos were kinda strange but they work. never thought x would work with ariano and lmno. that rhettmetic produced posse cut "stop that" has such a dope sample. check out the album if you havent yet, i know it got overlooked.

Cold 187um- Executive decisions.  Just picked this up. so dope. only one song i skip (do you know) Above the law does not get enough love on this forum i wish they were mentioned more. such dope production on this and i like how 187um gives other producers some shine on his album to change thigs up a little. Never heard or knew about the xzibit verse til i listened to this!!

Roscoe- i luv cali.    i skip a few songs but in all i love this album!! perfect for summertime, fingazz laced this shit!!! get high like an eagle, flip flop, easy come easy go are so fucin smooth. its rediculous how much hate this album gets, even roscoe hates it. production and lyrics are fire on almost every track. i listen to this a lot more than philifornia, best roscoe project imo.

Sir Jinx- Deez Dayz (chastisment).  Has anyone but me heard this?? Dude is dre's cousin i never hear about this guy other than his production for cube and kool g rap. The Bob dylan/ jimmy hendrix all along the watchtower sample and the drums on the last track "Power to the people",  are so sick. go give this album a listen, its nice.

11/5- Fiendin for the funk.  Found this at a record shop in downtown bozeman montana of all places. bangs start to finish. the groups best effort by far imo. production is some of the best g funk i have ever heard.

some others off the top are- MC ren shock of the hour ( mr. fuckup stays in heavy rotation for me) RBL posse- an eye for an eye ( best production of any rbl album rip mr. cee) and Black c - the city of gods (Best westcoast album of the last 5 years)

what are some others and what are your personal classics that dont get talked about enough..?

awol22222

Re: Underrated westcoast albums and your personal classics!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 09:25:15 PM »

MC ren shock of the hour ( mr. fuckup stays in heavy rotation for me)

+1

Elkoizm

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 09:30:04 PM »
BG Knocc out & Gangsta Dresta - Real Brothas

Even though these guys were signed to Def Jam, they still got treated like artists on Ruthless therefore got thrown into the whole forgotten era of the good shit that came out from that era i.e. Blood of Abraham, Yomo & Maulkie and Tab & Da Villon.
The album is a straight West coast classic. There is only a couple songs I skip such as:
"Whose the G"
"BG Knocc Out"
"Life's A Puzzle"

Brotha Lynch Hung - 24 Deep/Season of Da Siccness

Need I say more? Standout tracks like:
"Jackin 4 Joints"
"Had 2 Gat Ya"
"Return of Da Baby Killa"
"Rest in Piss"
"Sicc Made"

The Twinz - Conversation
No matter if you love the West Coast or not, this album goes hard and any person I play "Eastside LB", "Jump Ta This" or "Round & Round" to, they ask for a copy of the CD. A G Funk classic where Warren is really showin off. And so he should.

I'm gonna check out all the other albums mentioned on this thread  8)

awol22222

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 09:31:46 PM »
^+1

acgrundy

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 09:35:01 PM »
never knew sir jinx had an album.  can you post the tracklist?  Who raps on it?

TheWestCoast

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Need that Million Dollar Story!!
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 09:40:05 PM »
firing squad 8)

awol22222

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 09:41:36 PM »
never knew sir jinx had an album.  can you post the tracklist?  Who raps on it?
http://www.discogs.com/Sir-Jinx-Chastisement-Deez-Days/release/1366505

Jimmy H.

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 10:11:55 PM »
213 - The Hard Way
Roscoe - I Luv Cali
Daz Dillinger - Dogg Pound Gangsta LP
Westside Connection - Terrorist Threats
DJ Quik - Trauma
Yukmouth - Thugged Out: The Albunation
Thug Lordz - In Thugz We Trust
Spice-1 & MC Eiht - The Pioneers

awol22222

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 10:28:30 PM »
213 - The Hard Way
DJ Quik - Trauma
Spice-1 & MC Eiht - The Pioneers
+1

Above The Law - Black Mafia Life and Uncle Sam's Curse
Kokane - Funk Upon a Rhyme
Bloods & Crips - Bangin' on Wax 1 and 2
Mac Dre - Young Black Brotha LP, and Stupid Doo Doo Dumb
Tweedy Bird Loc - 187 Ride By
MC Ren - All his Ruthless releases
Young Soldierz - Young Soldierz
Nini-X - She's Dangerous

samutahjazz

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 10:29:50 PM »
^good explanations. not. come on guys anyone can rattle off a list of albums.

Elkoizm

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 10:48:43 PM »
DAMU Ridas - How Deep Is Your Hood

Standout tracks:
"104% No Kut"
"I Aint From Afrika"
"Get Yo Money"
"Is Ya Bang'n or What?"

After this I became a Lil Hawk fan. Dude is fucking crazy on the mic and the track "2 Famous Dogs" released on another Bloods album is a banger.
This album would make anyone want to bang.

samutahjazz

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 10:55:41 PM »
The DOC- Helter skelter- So sick, Eroticd's tracks are all super dope but he really goes in on this release. all the tracks are dope, especially da hearafter, return of the livin dead and from ruthless to deathrow. i also highly recommend the ep that cmae out before the album called return of the living dead. it has a couple super dope remixes imo both remixes arwe better than the og's. and i can imagine dre ripping these lyrics doc is spitting next to ice cube. highly slept on.

BakinSodaFree

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Nathaniel Dwayne Hale - The greatest singer ever.
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 11:38:02 PM »
Foesum - Perfection

The whole album is banging. The beats are flawless, and i love the sound. They are not the most complex rappers, but there style fits the beats very well. The whole album is laid back and a real summer album.
Standout tracks :
- Don`t Get It Twisted(Sick whistle, great talkbox)
- The Ultimate Collaboration (Ft The Twinz)
- Listen To The Sound
- Whowhouldofevathought
- In The Wind

G&D(Dudley Perkins & Georgia Anne Muldrow) - SomeOthaShip

Wow, this album is just crazy. A modern classic in my opinion. Dudley Aka Declaime and Georgia is a perfect match and this album is, as the title sugest, funked up. A bit strange, but i like that. Declaime delivers some great verses, and Georgia sings with both soul and passion. The beats are just brilliant. These to artists are so complex and there styke is so diverse.
Stand out tracks :
- Shine On
- Connect Game
- Endure
- FOnk 4 U
- Boogie

Havoc & Prodeje - Kickin`Game
A real westcoast gangsta rap album. The beats are real smooth and L.V is heavily futured on the album to bring these smooth hooks. The topics are mainly the same, bitches, how hard life is and gangbaning, but that what you expect from these guys. Also a real summer album, whit a laid back vibe. Both Havoc and Prodeje fits the beats perfectly whit there laid back flow.
Stand out tracks :
- Kickin`Game (Ft L.V)
- Charge It 2 A Bitch (Ft L.V)
- 2 G R Not 2 G (Ft L.V)
- C U When U Get Out (Ft L.V)

Kokane - Back 2 Tha Clap
Someone said "funk upon a rhyme" and that is one of my favourite album of all times, but "Back 2 Tha Clap" was way overlooked. It had some great funky beats and Kokane was realy on. Great futures also. As always he brings the funk hard, and got some slow songs where his voice realy shines. Kokane generaly dont get even half the atention and respect he deserves.
Stand out tracks :
- Back 2 The Clap
- Sucka Sandwitches
- 1# Baby Boo
- Straight Coats
- Bienvenidos A California

Vontel - Vision Of A Dream
Again, a real smooth summer album. He`s vocal is uniqe and he can switch to many different styles. The singing on the album is also great. Roger Troutman got two apperences and he is great as always.
The beats are laid back and simple, with deep bases and some smooth synths. All songs are great to ride to 8)
Stand out tracks :
- Dream No More
- 4 My Homiez (Ft Roger Troutman)
- Funk Wit Dis
- Ghetto Life
- Say Playa (Ft Roger Troutman

Dove Shack - This Is The Shack
A westcoast classic. Bo Roc owns the hooks, and C-Knight and 2Scoops comes correct on this album. Smooth beats of course and laid back flows. Some great anthems on this album, and if you put this in your car you can just let it play and ride on.
Stand out track
- Fuck Ya Mouth
- Summertime in The LBC
- This Is The Shack
- Smoke Out
- Ghetto Life
- We Funk(The G-Funk)

Under the society, still only god`s above me

R.I.P Nate Dogg.
You will forever be missed, but never forgotten.

doggfather

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 11:43:22 PM »
Brotha Lynch Hung & Mc Eiht: the new season
Too $hort: whats my favourite word?
Tha Liks: x.o. experience
Tash: rap life
B-Legit: hemp museum
Ice-T: O.G.

Eiht's albums (big fan of him)

I remember these for the moment.
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

Prof@ssor

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2011, 02:33:07 AM »
The forgotten one..... HITTMAN!!!  8) 8) 8)